Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   2011 Delete Questions (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1416794-2011-delete-questions.html)

GCLL 01-21-2016 02:07 PM

2011 Delete Questions

I am considering deleting my 2011 now that it is out of warranty (if you want to call it that).

Can someone please help me figure out what my least expensive option would be? From what I have read, I will have to get an SCT X4 which should be $400-500 plus a custom tune $150, delete pipe $300, and EGR block off plates. Is that it?

Will blocking off the EGR damage it at all? I want to be able to return to stock when I trade it in. My EGR is currently in good shape due to being replaced from clogging.

My main goal here is making the truck as reliable as possible. Thanks

BPA 01-21-2016 04:06 PM

I just did deleted my 2011, SCTx4(with a windshield mount) to monitor gauges and a dpf delete pipe for $932 from Rudys Diesel. I didn't get the block off plates for the EGR but after reading more it sounds like that is the best way to go especially since you want to return it to stock when you trade it in.

GCLL 01-21-2016 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by BPA (Post 15970617)
I just did deleted my 2011, SCTx4(with a windshield mount) to monitor gauges and a dpf delete pipe for $932 from Rudys Diesel. I didn't get the block off plates for the EGR but after reading more it sounds like that is the best way to go especially since you want to return it to stock when you trade it in.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to ruin any of the emissions related components for future use. Shoot even if you plan to keep the truck forever, the parts will eventually become valuable as these trucks get older and people start having to replace them.

Where to you get your delete capable tune from? How hard was the entire process? Any surprises?

GCLL 01-21-2016 04:59 PM

The more I read on this the more confused I get. So it looks like older trucks before 2014 have more choices for deleting. I see Rudy still has H&S listed for the 6.7 up until 2014.

Is SCT still the least expensive option for a 2011?

AzBlueOval 01-21-2016 05:21 PM

I went with the X4 on my '11. The tuners will range in price, and it seems like it is due to supply/demand as well as options. For example, the X4 does not allow shift on the fly tuning, like the mini maxx does. I use a CTS for monitoring & only change my tune when I plan on towing the trailer. So for me, X4 was just fine, and 1/2 the cost of the MM.

Everything you said sounds about right, programmer, delete pipe or downpipe back kit, and something for your EGR.

GCLL 01-21-2016 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by AzBlueOval (Post 15970802)
I went with the X4 on my '11. The tuners will range in price, and it seems like it is due to supply/demand as well as options. For example, the X4 does not allow shift on the fly tuning, like the mini maxx does. I use a CTS for monitoring & only change my tune when I plan on towing the trailer. So for me, X4 was just fine, and 1/2 the cost of the MM.

Everything you said sounds about right, programmer, delete pipe or downpipe back kit, and something for your EGR.

So did you have to load a custom delete ready tune onto your X4 like I see guys talking about or is that only for the 2015?

AzBlueOval 01-23-2016 12:39 AM

I ordered my X4 from Rudy's Diesel and it came with Punch it Performance (PIP) tunes already loaded on it. PIP tunes are delete capable. The canned SCT tunes do not allow the delete. So you need to check with the vendor where you buy the X4 from, and see if they come with delete capable tunes or not. If so, your good to go, if not you will need to get with a company that makes the tunes, such as PIP or Gearhead, etc., and get the tunes from them.

GCLL 01-23-2016 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by AzBlueOval (Post 15975116)
I ordered my X4 from Rudy's Diesel and it came with Punch it Performance (PIP) tunes already loaded on it. PIP tunes are delete capable. The canned SCT tunes do not allow the delete. So you need to check with the vendor where you buy the X4 from, and see if they come with delete capable tunes or not. If so, your good to go, if not you will need to get with a company that makes the tunes, such as PIP or Gearhead, etc., and get the tunes from them.

Thank you for clarifying that AzBlueOval.

UGA33 01-23-2016 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by GCLL (Post 15970742)
The more I read on this the more confused I get. So it looks like older trucks before 2014 have more choices for deleting. I see Rudy still has H&S listed for the 6.7 up until 2014.

Is SCT still the least expensive option for a 2011?

Correct. A couple of companies dropped out all together around the time the '15s showed up due to Big Brother bringing the hammer down on the industry. 2011-14 trucks have the most options. The 15 and 16 trucks are slimmer. They still have good options though. Just have to know what to look for.

superrangerman2002 01-23-2016 06:14 PM

I'm also seriously considering deleting before it's no longer possible.

My only hang up is I don't want any drone while towing. I have a family of five and really don't want to hear about how loud it is in the cab or not be able to hear the radio.

It's not my first tuned vehicle either...infact this one is the only one I haven't tuned.

What is a good reasonable muffler to go with or should I just leave the factory tailpipe resonator assembly?

I've listened to all kinds of straight pipe clips and frankly they sound like garbage.

On my 7.3l I had a turbo back magnaflow system and I really liked it when towing.

EO2SeaBee 01-23-2016 06:48 PM

I am running a straight 4" Flo-Pro on mine with no muffler. I left the factory resonator and tail pipe in place. I have no drone at all, at any speed, or any load so far. If you shut off the radio and listen closely, you can hear a nice rumble from the exhaust, but that's about it with the windows up. With the windows down, it sounds really good, but not obnoxiously loud!

GCLL 01-23-2016 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by EO2SeaBee (Post 15976797)
I am running a straight 4" Flo-Pro on mine with no muffler. I left the factory resonator and tail pipe in place. I have no drone at all, at any speed, or any load so far. If you shut off the radio and listen closely, you can hear a nice rumble from the exhaust, but that's about it with the windows up. With the windows down, it sounds really good, but not obnoxiously loud!

That's good to know. I was going to leave the resonator and factory tip in place also.

superrangerman2002 01-23-2016 09:26 PM

What kind of egr delete kit should be used? Are some more reliable than others?

I was looking at rudys kit with the return hose thinking that would make more sense than using plugs.

EO2SeaBee 01-23-2016 10:05 PM

The ones with plugs have been known to fail, so the ones that use the hose seem to be better. You can get them flashy - such as Sinister - or plain jane. Either will work. If you want to run some sort of monitor eventually for EGT, get one with the hole tapped in the plate for installation of a probe.

UGA33 01-24-2016 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by superrangerman2002 (Post 15977184)
What kind of egr delete kit should be used? Are some more reliable than others?

I was looking at rudys kit with the return hose thinking that would make more sense than using plugs.

Check into ones that have a flow through plate where the cooler was. Most kits allow the coolant to just dead head there while kits like No Limits offer a flow through plate so it can circulate like it was designed to.