Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2015 - 2020 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum276/)
-   -   New TT for the 15 lariat (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1416141-new-tt-for-the-15-lariat.html)

bexiga 01-17-2016 04:52 PM

New TT for the 15 lariat

Hi All, New to this forum. We purchased our 15 lariat sport with the 3.5 EB, Loving it so far. My question is, what is the max weight people are towing with there 15+ f150s ? I am currently looking into buying a 15 Jayco Eagle TT, some say too big, others say I'll be fine. Even went as far as contacting Ford Customer Service to find out what my max tow rating was, they say 10700lbs. Just curious to here what others are pulling?

Tom 01-17-2016 07:40 PM

I haven't pulled anything heavy behind my '15 yet, but I've had as much as 16,000 lbs behind my '13 F150 without issue. My truck is rated for the same 10,700 lbs towing that yours is, and I wouldn't hesitate pulling that much as long as it was configured properly.

You didn't mention the model you're looking at, so we're all just guessing. Looks like the heaviest Jayco Eagle weighs just over 9,000 lbs. Those weights are typically optimistic, but as long as you're not overloading the truck or hitch with tongue weight you should be good to go. Make sure you have a good weight distributing hitch.

johndeerefarmer 01-17-2016 08:05 PM

I took two cows and 5 calves to the sale barn on Thursday. 5190 lbs for the cattle and the bumper pull (6 x16) trailer weighs 2400 lbs according to the title. So 7590 lbs total. Ran at 55mph in t/h mode. Truck downshifted to 4th once and 5th twice on some 2-3% inclines. Had a 15 mph wind pushing me. Got 13.5 mpg going. Returning empty at 60 mph only got 9.3 mpg bucking a head wind of 15 with gusts higher. Truck had plenty of power. Was kinda of tongue heavy as I had to cows in the front compartment. Only issue was when the cows moved around the truck and trailer moved with them. My '15 SD was way more stable but I didn't really see much difference between my steel '13 F150 and my aluminum bodied "16. My '13 F150 also had a 3.73 rear end but with just that one tow I can't tell you yet what difference there is between the 3.55 and 3.73. I typically tow 10-12k lbs during the spring and summer seasons hauling hay and fertilizer so it will be a few months before I will have a good comparison
Next week I will have airbags and a fifth wheel hitch installed.

bexiga 01-18-2016 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 15957471)
I haven't pulled anything heavy behind my '15 yet, but I've had as much as 16,000 lbs behind my '13 F150 without issue. My truck is rated for the same 10,700 lbs towing that yours is, and I wouldn't hesitate pulling that much as long as it was configured properly.

You didn't mention the model you're looking at, so we're all just guessing. Looks like the heaviest Jayco Eagle weighs just over 9,000 lbs. Those weights are typically optimistic, but as long as you're not overloading the truck or hitch with tongue weight you should be good to go. Make sure you have a good weight distributing hitch.

The model Im looking at is the Jayco Eagle 314bhds, it has a dry weight of 8500lbs with a tongue weight of just over 1000lbs. A little more info on my truck, 355 gears with short 5.5 box. Truck is completely stock with the exception od bigger Mickey Thompson 305 55 20 tires and a 2'' front level. Will be looking at the husky centerline WDH or the equalizer WDH to help with towing.

Tom 01-18-2016 10:44 AM

Your truck will do a fine job with that trailer. Post up some pics of your setup!

seventyseven250 01-18-2016 11:00 AM

What's the gross weight of that trailer? Must be around 10,000lbs, I would think. I don't think you will have any issues with power, but that is certainly bigger than anything I've towed.

I would for sure be using a well set up WDH with sway control, and I would spend some time at the nearest CAT scale to get everything set up exactly right.

tvsjr 01-18-2016 11:22 AM

I'd say you're pushing it. Not that the truck won't do it, but you won't be legal... which means insurance challenges plus potential civil and criminal liabilities if you get caught or if anything happens.

8500 dry... per their site, if the tanks are full, that's another ~1250lbs., so 9750. Add another 500lbs. for stuff in the trailer, four people in the cab of the truck, all their crap, probably stuff in the bed... I'd put money on you being over at least rear GAWR, and likely GCWR as well. Even if you can make it work, everything will have to be just right, balanced perfectly, etc.

In my opinion, a 37' travel trailer is Super Duty territory. Maybe not from a "can it pull it" perspective, but certainly from the "are you legal" perspective. You're also running the truck at its max load, which will equal a reduced life.

bexiga 01-18-2016 11:41 AM

Thanks for the responces, If I add all the weight up for the tV, It adds up to about 500lbs for my family, as far as camping stuff, its probabbly around 200-300 lbs

Tom 01-18-2016 11:51 AM

You're going to be close on GVWR, but I don't really see that as a problem. What does your payload sticker say in the door?

My truck has 1,830 lbs of available payload, subtract 1,100 lbs of tongue weight and I'm down to 730. Add in the family and gear and you're probably a bit over GVWR, but I wouldn't worry too much about that. I'd focus more on your axle weights and keeping them under spec, and you can always put some of your gear in the camper. You can adjust tongue weight by how you load the camper, put stuff in front of the axles to add, and behind the axles to subtract. You want to stay around 10% for the sake of stability.

I've towed a lot of miles and I wouldn't hesitate to get a trailer like that. Your experience and confidence may vary.

bexiga 01-18-2016 12:28 PM

1575lbs on the yellow sticker

bexiga 01-18-2016 12:30 PM

Thanks for your input guys, Im really starting to re consider on getting this trailer ?

Tom 01-18-2016 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by bexiga (Post 15959527)
Thanks for your input guys, Im really starting to re consider on getting this trailer ?

My advice is worth the price you paid for it. ;)

At the end of the day, you have to be comfortable with how it handles and the safety of your family. My family is considering getting a camper this spring, and until your post we hadn't even looked at Jayco. I like the floorplan, we may be looking for one similar to the 314BHDS in a couple of months. :-X22

bexiga 01-18-2016 01:05 PM

Its a awesome unit, the best Jayco has in its TT line up. Another model that Im considering is the eagle 284bhds, its smaller [ lighter ] but has lots of room. There is another model that is faily new, it is from Grand Design. Its the Reflections 308, like the jayco it is pretty heavy at 8300 lbs dry and around 900 lbs on the tongue. If you havent heard from this company, check them out. They are top notch as far as quality goes. There are lots of videos on you tube about Grand design TT/FW. Check them out.

bexiga 01-18-2016 01:10 PM

could be the best built TT on the market from what I've seen ? Alot of good reviews on the grand design.

seventyseven250 01-18-2016 01:44 PM

Bexiga, rather than looking at dry weights, you should look at the gross weights of those trailers. I think with a family and gear, you will be near your gross weights on most trailers of that size. Not all brochures list gross weights, but it's information that should be easy to find when talking to a salesman. Up here in Canada, they have to list that info on every trailer with a standardized sticker on the exterior, usually near the entry door or the front. Not sure what the regulations are in the USA, but suspect it's somewhere . . .

Good luck.