Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Can someone explain this to me? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/14146-can-someone-explain-this-to-me.html)

12-31-1969 06:00 PM

Can someone explain this to me?

might_b_giant 02-10-2002 01:45 AM

About a year ago i was driving my '88 F-150 when presto i had no power steering. I wrestled it back to work to find that all the fluid had poured out the bottom of the steering box. So i brought it to my friendly local wrench turner and had the seals replaced. Fast forward to friday night, I'm delivering pizza and the darn thing starts whinning a lot. I didn't lose it imidiatly like last time but when i got it back again it was dripping out rather quickly. Am i doing something wrong?

~eriC

bjoern 02-10-2002 10:29 AM

Had a similar thing happening to me. Apparently, if the gearbox is sufficiently worn, it takes more than just replacing the seals. I got a rebuilt gearbox from autozone...

orange peel 02-10-2002 10:36 AM

that whining noise is the steering pump without fluid, and i dont thing that your doin anything wrong, you cant do much of anything wrong with it except turn the wheel alot. ive been told if you hold the steerin wheel all the way over and hold against that little stopping point its bad for it though. it was in my manual.

madman666 02-11-2002 04:16 AM

When you totally drain the power steering pump, and lines to clean out all the old fluid, and then you go to refill the system, the ford pumps have a hard time getting all the air out, which causes the winning noise. Most times it never goes away.
This is what I have been told, so it may not be accurate.

stevieray 02-11-2002 11:43 AM

Three things that are for sure, death, taxes, and Ford P/S pumps whine!

460lover 02-11-2002 02:43 PM

Once I get a job, I am going to replace mine, cause mine is whinin and losing a lot of fluid. You just answered the question I was going to ask. Thanks a bunch, 460lover.

sam_1857 02-11-2002 04:17 PM

I just bought a 95 F-150 SC, i6. This thing whines whether it's just idling and sitting still or turning or going down the road - ie, all the time. It does not leak brake fluid though.

My father-in-law is a mechanic and said the same as madman666. It's difficult to get the air out of the brake lines. I'm going to try to fix it, at some point.

sam_1857

thejerold 02-11-2002 05:36 PM

I had the same thing happen to me. I have an 86 F-250 company truck and the seal went out of the steering box.I had a new seal put in and two days later it blew out again. Had to spring for a new gear box. I guess once they are worn too much even a new seal won't help.:(

fordmanjones 03-28-2014 03:29 PM

first time on here so still tryin to figure it out but I need help. Im having issues with my 91 f250 with 460 , I had tranny rebuilt about 7-8 months or so ago and every now and then it would die in reverse it quit so no biggie but last week me and a buddy changed the fuel filter and I acted a little funny I thought maybe air working its way out but then it started dieing when I put into drive and reverse but was ok when I finally got it moving . its also shifting hard into 2nd gear. any ideas

mrrish79 03-28-2014 07:56 PM

I suggest you start a new thread with your questions.

Kleinn Air Horns 03-09-2016 12:40 PM

I know it may be a sin to say this but Wild Horses Bronco in Lodi, CA used to sell a bracket to convert to a Saginaw PS pump. No whine and a powerful pump. Been a while since I dealt with them. But I would imagine they still build it. WILD HORSES 4X4 Off-Road Bronco Parts and Accessories