Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2015 - 2020 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum276/)
-   -   Tuning a new 2016 f150? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1414559-tuning-a-new-2016-f150.html)

DiggityD 01-07-2016 07:45 PM

Tuning a new 2016 f150?

I ordered a new 2016 3.5 SC chrome package lariat fx4 with a 6.5 bed a cpl weeks ago and I'm curious to know when should I think about putting a tuner in it. Is that something I need to wait until the warranty is up? I've heard it both ways that it will void your warranty if you need to take it in and also that it wouldnt. I know I'll be impressed with the stock truck but like I say, I curious and I don't see too many threads on here about tuning a new truck. Appreciate the feed back.

Tom 01-07-2016 08:24 PM

You're gonna hear a bunch of different opinions on this. What's the truck's purpose? Do you tow with it?

I've only had one vehicle that was faster than my '15, and that was a Coyote-powered Mustang. I'm interested in reliably pulling anything I hook to it, as well as the integrity of my warranty. The EcoBoost engines do some very impressive things when tuned, but the sacrifices in engine longevity and the possibility of an expen$ive powertrain repair make it a bad idea IMHO. How much fun would it be to shell out $10,000+ for an out-of-warranty engine replacement? As sure as the sun will rise tomorrow morning, Ford will not warrant an engine failure if they discover it's been tuned.

CuNmUdF250 01-07-2016 08:58 PM

Not worth it to me for a lil extra uuumph......as Tom mentioned the damn thing already hauls a** and has diesel like towing ability

DiggityD 01-07-2016 09:27 PM

I do tow quite often and will be near the max tow capabilities a fair amount of the time. I get these trucks for the duel purpose of work and a nice family ride. I don't want to ruin the longevity of the engine with a tune. Guess I want to have my cake and eat it all too. I put a simple tune on my 06 f 150 which got me better gas milage and this engine now has over 265k on it, so I definitely want to make sure that this engine last as long as it can.

RainDesert 01-07-2016 09:59 PM

I just tuned my 2016, but it is the 6.2. I would likely tune my new EB when it comes in the F250. I'm just not so worried about the gas motors; diesels yes. I think if I don't abuse it, understand what the tune does and is designed for, my risk is pretty darn low of having a major problem not covered by warranty. Yes, it is there, and I would be in a position to take care of it worst case out of pocket. On another note, 5star offers powertrain warranty's above the factory warranty with their tunes. Do your homework on tunes and tune companies. I spent quite a bit of time over on an ecoboost forum, there's lots of chat there too. Drive it for awhile, my guess is you will be more then satisfied. The safe bet is to leave it stock. It is just hard to resist tuning when you see what they are doing with tunes on the 3.5 now.
Powertrain Warranty - 5 Star Tuning

QwkTrip 01-07-2016 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by DiggityD (Post 15928510)
Is that something I need to wait until the warranty is up?

Nobody can answer this for you. It's just a decision you have to make based on your own level of comfort.

I just played it by ear and waited until I felt totally comfortable with the idea. Turns out that was at the end of 3/36. No science or earth shattering reasoning behind it. Just happened to be the trip point for me.

If you want to leave it stock and be content with that decision, then by all means NEVER DRIVE A TUNED ECOBOOST because you'll never want to go back to stock again. :-X22

Frantz 01-08-2016 06:04 AM

The max limits of this truck are not so much based on the motor, but the size of the truck. I you just want more power cause it's fun that's fine. As for warranty, the Ford guide is intentionally vague. Anything you do with affects the component that needs replaced would void the warranty. So does more power affect the entire motor and transmission, and entire drive line? Probably so. Does it affect the navigation system? Not so much. I did a mild tune on my Mustang when it was new, but I knew I was taking the risk. Though I don't see many motors being replaced, I see plenty of electronic systems failing. The factory warranty really doesn't come into play much because the motors tend to be pretty good. If you're okay with the mild increased risk of motor failure, have fun. But. You are now assuming that risk!

tseekins 01-08-2016 06:35 AM

No matter which opinion anyone gives here it's going to make someone else double blink. There are guys here with mods and tunes and are doing just fine. Likewise there are guys here like me who've left them stock and also are doing just fine.

I say that if one has experience with tuning a truck and you got good service from it then do, you already know the potential risks and benefits.

QwkTrip 01-08-2016 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Frantz (Post 15929487)
If you're okay with the mild increased risk of motor failure, have fun. But. You are now assuming that risk!

Exactly. And part of that risk is opening yourself to the opportinity to be judged by Ford and dealer, and with that you have to realize that you may not be treated fairly in the event of a problem.

Oh, the price of glory. :D

GlueGuy 01-08-2016 10:57 PM

I'm betting that it would put your warranty in jeopardy, but as others have pointed out, it's not a 100% certainty.

personally, I wouldn't do it because this thing is plenty fast enough for me. Tows pretty darn well too!

Flienlow 01-12-2016 10:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My interest in a tune would be related to fuel economy. I have the 3.5eb with max tow. I just bought a boat and was flat shocked at how well this truck pulled this 5500b boat and trailer. I was passing cars on the freeway at 70mph!:-jammin

However..... I was getting 9.5mpg :-X16

Tom 01-13-2016 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Flienlow (Post 15943219)
My interest in a tune would be related to fuel economy. I have the 3.5eb with max tow. I just bought a boat and was flat shocked at how well this truck pulled this 5500b boat and trailer. I was passing cars on the freeway at 70mph!:-jammin

However..... I was getting 9.5mpg :-X16

There are lots of factors to towing fuel economy. Wind resistance is one of the bigger ones, and that goes up quickly with speed. A tune isn't going to get you good mileage towing that fast, but slowing down will.

Flienlow 01-13-2016 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 15943689)
There are lots of factors to towing fuel economy. Wind resistance is one of the bigger ones, and that goes up quickly with speed. A tune isn't going to get you good mileage towing that fast, but slowing down will.

Towing aside, what about day to day driving? The best I get is around 16mpg and I am pretty easy on it.

Tom 01-13-2016 11:12 AM

I haven't heard from many who have tried economy tunes, seems like most who tune want more power. Five Star has an economy tune that may be worthwhile, but I have no idea how significant the gains would be.

Frantz 01-13-2016 11:46 AM

If you go from 10 to 12 mpg and drive 10k a year that will save $500 a year if gas is $3.00, so that should pay for the tune. Of course you could probably save more than that by not

I was passing cars on the freeway at 70mph
and that's free!

I do think it would void any motor warranty, and you're counting on the tuner to have everything programmed right. Since most of those miles won't be towing, and the cost savings drops significantly as you go up in stock MPG, I can't say I'd want to do it.