Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Bad gas mileage. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1413265-bad-gas-mileage.html)

Gunnerboy 12-30-2015 07:21 PM

Bad gas mileage.

So I recently bought myself a 93 F150 5spd 4x4 5.0 with 196k miles Truck is darn near mint.. one scratch on the whole body zero rust and no gunk or mess anywhere in the engine bay or underneath.. was a one owner vehicle that had reciepts for every repair back to 93 Everything but the transfer case transmission and lower end of the engine has been replaced or rebuilt.Recently its getting 8mpg The truck does have custom 3" exaust thats all brand new. The check engine light comes on only when its warmed up I am getting a code 33 and code 52. So i replaced the TPS and cleaned and checked the EGR with a vaccum.. Drove it for 20 miles then the light came back with the same codes? Any suggestions for the horrible MPG.. The tires are all properly aired up and brand new the brakes are brand new and adjusted properly.. tomorrow i plan on checking plugs an wires to make sure the shop that did them 12k miles ago did them right. Im a jeep guy so this ford truck stuff is really foreign to me lol Thanks for any help guys.

mic91F150 12-30-2015 07:31 PM

welcome sir! cant help ya...we would like to see pics too :)

Gunnerboy 12-30-2015 07:51 PM

3 Attachment(s)
well here are some pictures.. So i called the old owner an he claims the muffler shop didnt want to connect the EGR pipe to the exaust manifold because it gives less horsepower.. So where does that connect?? Crawling around on wet concrete in the dark is challenging enough on its own haha

mic91F150 12-30-2015 08:00 PM

nice find! youd never know that truck has 196K on it. congrats :)

88XLTLariat 12-30-2015 08:06 PM

An EGR delete will not have any noticeable gains in HP or MPG. I think what might be killing your MPG is the 3" exhaust. You need a more restrictive pipe, 2.5" max. How does the truck run? I'm sure others will chime in, soon. Nice looking truck, BTW.:-X22

Gunnerboy 12-30-2015 08:16 PM

Well being winter doesnt help much either.. And really the exaust? I thought more air in more exaust out made better MPG?.. The truck runs great tho! Takes very little effort to get to the end of the speedometer.. and it never hesitates or stumbles when getting there. But even when im driving like a grandpa its still 8mpg..

danr1 12-30-2015 08:29 PM

12k ago do a complete tune up on it, all to often guys skip things to save a few bucks. Prime example "plug wires" come to mind.

3" system is overkill for it but doubt its adversely effecting fuel economy, to a small degree perhaps but not effectively cutting in half.

196K a compression test wouldn't be a bad thing get a reading of the overall condition of things, a vac gauge would also give a quick impression how things are going internally. A strong vac reading with a steady needle is a good thing.

Might find everything is in good shape but the base timing hasn't been checked/set, that alone can kill fuel mileage. Check timing chain verify within wear limit, if original never been molested and at that mileage it might be a tad to "long" at this point!

Anyway point is don't assume anything, look at and check everything and make sure it is as it should be.

Gunnerboy 12-30-2015 08:47 PM

Timing chain was done with the clutch 27k ago and the water pump.. and a few other things. Yeah guess ill learn about distributors and tune ups on fords tomorrow or friday! woohoo! And as for the compression test any way to do that yourself? Im not much of a vehicle mechanic in knowledge.. i fix other mechanical things for a living so diagnostics and wrench turning never scares me.

danr1 12-30-2015 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Gunnerboy (Post 15906023)
Timing chain was done with the clutch 27k ago and the water pump.. and a few other things. Yeah guess ill learn about distributors and tune ups on fords tomorrow or friday! woohoo! And as for the compression test any way to do that yourself? Im not much of a vehicle mechanic in knowledge.. i fix other mechanical things for a living so diagnostics and wrench turning never scares me.

Yes you can and should do it yourself its the sure way to get accurate results.

I gonna cheat a little bit and post a link rather than type it out,

Engine Compression Test Instructions - You Fix Cars.com

Any questions just ask, plenty of guys willing and ready to help here pretty much 24 hours a day.

Nice looking ride, must be you don't live in the rust belt (your location isn't showing in your posts)

Gunnerboy 12-30-2015 09:17 PM

Well i recognize those gauges.. I think my father has some .. ill have to go find out and see if i can figure this out... And im on the WA coast so its just rainy and wet 24/7 340 days a year ..

Mudsport96 12-30-2015 10:55 PM

What size tires are you running and you might want to check the differential has the hear ratio tag on it or check the axle code on the door for what gears it has. It looks like you may have taller than stock tires if so there is a small part of your mileage. Incorrect odometer reading will cause your math for mpgs to be off.

Gunnerboy 12-30-2015 11:08 PM

31x10.5 R 15.. It has 3.55 in it. Real nice having the original dealer window info sheet still!

Gunnerboy 12-30-2015 11:21 PM

So with 31x10.5's ill be getting .8% more revolution per mile.. So ill basically be 1/2 a mile per hour behind on the speedo with these tires if i did my math right.. I dont see that doing much for MPG.

The_Drew 12-30-2015 11:23 PM

Nice truck man! Tune up stuff is definitely the place to start, cap and rotor/ plugs and wires are pretty easy on the 5.0. It definitely is nice to get it from the original owner!

The_Drew 12-30-2015 11:24 PM

The tire size difference is dismal and will not do that much for mileage