Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Fuel Gauge (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1407467-fuel-gauge.html)

Big Red F250 11-19-2015 05:00 PM

Fuel Gauge

Our fuel gauge is reading 1/4 of a tank off on both tanks.
1/4 tank is really empty.

Choices.

1. Live with it. It's not a big deal.

2. Go to the junk yard and get another cluster.

3. Is it possible to pull the gauge cluster cover and manually (gently) reset where full is on the gauge.

4. Open to suggestions.

Thanks

madpogue 11-19-2015 06:26 PM

What year truck, and what engine?

Are you saying "empty" because the engine runs out of fuel and stalls when the gauge reads 1/4? If so, how much fuel does that particular tank take when you refill it? If it's less than 18-19 gallons, then you probably really do have 1/4 tank of fuel. But the pickup strainer (aka "showerhead") is famous for cracking or falling off, making it impossible to draw fuel lower than about the 1/4-tank level. IOW, your gauge and floats may be fine, and it may instead be the pickups.

Big Red F250 11-19-2015 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by madpogue (Post 15805088)
What year truck, and what engine?

Are you saying "empty" because the engine runs out of fuel and stalls when the gauge reads 1/4? If so, how much fuel does that particular tank take when you refill it? If it's less than 18-19 gallons, then you probably really do have 1/4 tank of fuel. But the pickup strainer (aka "showerhead") is famous for cracking or falling off, making it impossible to draw fuel lower than about the 1/4-tank level. IOW, your gauge and floats may be fine, and it may instead be the pickups.

Sorry, I need to add that my to signature

1989 with a 460.
19.5 gal front tank
When it is full the needle is way past full. When the gauge shows 2/3's full it will take 12.5 gallons(ish) to fill up.
I have only filled the back tank 1 time it has a leak when full (on the fix it soon list) and the gauge readings were very similar. Full is way past the full mark.
Thanks

fl1a 11-20-2015 06:04 PM

For number 4, do as I do and set your trip odometer when filling up. My front tank is good to at least 140 miles and the rear a little more. My gauge only works on the rear tank and it only tells me when it has emptied into the front tank. It's sender doesn't work.

Big Red F250 11-21-2015 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by fl1a (Post 15807650)
For number 4, do as I do and set your trip odometer when filling up. My front tank is good to at least 140 miles and the rear a little more. My gauge only works on the rear tank and it only tells me when it has emptied into the front tank. It's sender doesn't work.

LOL Actually that is what we are doing. My 16 year old drives the truck and usually we fill up around 125 on the front.

fl1a 11-21-2015 07:10 AM

I have a fuel delivery module ready for the front tank as soon as I find someone who wants to help me drop the tank to replace it. Stranger things have happened.