Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   spindles 55 f-100 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1405705-spindles-55-f-100-a.html)

artscott61 11-08-2015 03:36 PM

spindles 55 f-100

1 Attachment(s)
Attached I hope is a photo of both of my spindles. Each spindle only had a grease zerk on the top of spindle they would not take grease because the were stripped out. Now after taking off the spindles I see that they each have a set in the top and two in the bottom. A grease zerk fits in once I take the set screw out. It looks as though someone drilled and tapped(wrong size also) to put in grease zerks. In the picture the white circle is the set screw holes and the hash marks are where someone drilled. Is there to be a zerk on both top and bottom common sense would say yes. Like I have said before it is good to get back into this an learn and re learn. Thanks Guys.

Smitty49 11-08-2015 04:03 PM

Yes, there should be zerks both top and bottom of the spindles. It looks like someone may have re-drilled for zerks to be re positioned for Disc Brake set up.

artscott61 11-08-2015 04:43 PM

now that I mock up the caliper brackets that is what was done. Thank You. I pressed out one of the old bushings and you can see where they had drilled not once but twice. With out putting everything back to check for locations has anyone done this and where did you drill &tap for the new one? If I have to I will put back together to find a location.

bjmayberry2 11-09-2015 12:31 PM

Can't remember where to drill but you should be able to see where one hole will be too close to the bracket to install the zerk. Some brackets you don't need to drill because they have a relief cut in the bracket so you can get at the zerk in its original location.
I maybe confused but why are you going to redo the holes if they are already drilled. Also if you took the bushing out you will probably need a new bushing and then hone it to the king pin. Since you've got it down already, it would make since to change all the bushings & king pins. Then you know everything is "like new". Just my 2 cents worth.

bchrismer 11-09-2015 01:17 PM

I hadn't been on the forum for a few months, after I ran out of money, again. Didn't realize you were going with a set of springs and an axle, rather than the MII route.

artscott61 11-09-2015 05:46 PM

BJ all the parts will be new I am like you since I have it all down might as well make good. I talked to CPP and they said to get on the web site and it will show where to put new zerks. Bchrismer after all the back and forth on what front end to use I decided on the stock axle most of the folks here lead me to that decision. A lot of knowledge on this site.

bjmayberry2 11-09-2015 05:49 PM

We've gotta meet up one of these days. Maybe at Springfield's swap meet or the Ozark run?

bchrismer 11-10-2015 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by bjmayberry2 (Post 15778503)
We've gotta meet up one of these days. Maybe at Springfield's swap meet or the Ozark run?

Lemme know when. I'll join ya.

bjmayberry2 11-10-2015 06:01 PM

For sure. Do you go to the Springfield swap meet? I've been going every year for a while. Didn't make the Ozark Run in Branson last year because I heard they weren't going to have one. I'm going to try to go to both in 2016. AND the Super Nationals too.:-jammin