Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Death Wobble on 2001 XLT SD 4X4 7.3L PSD (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1405423-death-wobble-on-2001-xlt-sd-4x4-7-3l-psd.html)

cpye2 12-09-2015 05:23 PM

Tie rods are all torqued on, and got the stabilizer on also. Just to let everyone know the instructions that come with the Skyjacker stabilizer SUCK. These instructions on Jegs give the torque values, but forget to mention the driver side mount for the stabilizer is the plate that its included, and it goes on the leaf spring bolts.

http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInst...5/825-7299.pdf

IDK why they dont just give you two of these brackets instead of making you saw off the old stabilizer bracket. Guess its a costs savings for them. The other thing is, these "shocks" on them dont seem to have very much pressure. I guess thats why its just a "damper". I don't see how adding one of these could fix death wobble, only suppress the intensity of it. After all I have done. I truely believe the "death wobble" is from tie rods, ball joints, hub/bearings, tires/alignment, or brake rotors / sticking calipers pin/pistons.

I plan on putting my sway bars on tomorrow and bleeding my brakes. I will be out the rest of the weekend and hop to take it to the tire shop on Tuesday for balance and alignment.

cpye2 12-09-2015 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by cpye2 (Post 15845699)
I think I am going to go with the AC Delco because the come with the top and bottom bolt. Since Im removing the preforged Moog's, and most of the kits only come with 1 bolt, this seems to be my safest bet. I'll let everyone know if the energy bushing will fit it.

:-arrgh AC Delcos are just like the Moog, you cant replace the bushing. Has ball joints.

DIY'er Learner!! 12-09-2015 11:44 PM

Axle shaft seal tool

Originally Posted by cpye2 (Post 15812348)
I took apart the right hand side to go ahead and clean parts and get it ready for replacement when the new stuff comes in. Like the left hand side, the thrust washer was in inside out and the O ring around the hub was missing. The back side of one of the manual hubs had come apart inside the hub, but I dont think it caused any wear. I believe I can put it back together and probably should have taken the other side apart like this one just for extra cleaning. Needle bearing was still greased and hub was tight. U joint was tight. Axle seal was WAY worse than the left hand side. My inner axle seal on this side is also leaking. I noticed the slow drip a few months ago and this confirms it was coming from the differential. Didn't get time to take a look at the caliper, but it is getting replaced at the same time with the other side. Next step is to press out the ball joints and press in the new ones.

If you haven't received and/or used the axle shaft seal tool, i just replaced my hubs, calipers, pads etc. Like you, I was a beginner and did some research, then put on my big boy undies and tackled the job....Just forgot about specialty tools!! After realizing that putting the new seals on took a special tool, I put my little noodle to work and made my own, cost was about $14. If you would like the info about how to make it, hit me back or shoot me an email at k.mitch39@yahoo.com

Tim Hodgson 12-11-2015 07:04 AM

DIY'er Learner!!: I just replaced the pads on one of the vehicles last night and am considering doing more of the work discussed in your post. So, personally, I am very interested in your diy tools. How about sharing with everyone by starting your own thread?

CampSpringsJohn 12-11-2015 07:58 AM

I agree with Tim! We are all open to new tools, especially ones we can fabricate ourselves that make life easier!

DIY'er Learner!! 12-11-2015 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Tim Hodgson (Post 15856899)
DIY'er Learner!!: I just replaced the pads on one of the vehicles last night and am considering doing more of the work discussed in your post. So, personally, I am very interested in your diy tools. How about sharing with everyone by starting your own thread?

Ok, I will try and get some pics uploaded of what it looks like and get together a shopping list for that axle shaft seal tool, I know it was alot cheaper than buying or renting the tool

Tim Hodgson 12-11-2015 11:06 AM

Thanks buddy! Anything to further deepen the knowledge pool.

cpye2 01-10-2016 07:52 PM

So after all the work, no more wobble! I'm not sure what the exact culprit was, but there were a lot of issues with the truck. Frozen left caliper piston, frozen tie rod, tires slightly out of balance, bad ball joints, blown stabilizer, blown axle seals, worn hub, bearing on its last life.... I dont think all of my tie rod links were bad though. Not 100% sure my shocks needed replacement, but the new ones are definitely much firmer. Not 100% sure about the track bar bushing either, but that was only about a $40 part. Of course after all the work I did need an alignment, so that was done also. Truck is running good and I feel a lot better knowing I got a new front end under me. I think I saved myself from a lot of future pains. Thanks for all the help, was a huge learning experience.

CampSpringsJohn 01-10-2016 07:56 PM

Glad you got it taken care of! Feels good driving a nice truck!

cpye2 01-10-2016 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn (Post 15936642)
Glad you got it taken care of! Feels good driving a nice truck!

Yep, no truck with 330k+ plus miles is without issues, but I just eliminated a bunch of them! Ready to do some driving now. Hopefully it stays on the road!