Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.2L V8 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum206/)
-   -   Hesitation, surge, etc. 2016 F250 6.2 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1404805-hesitation-surge-etc-2016-f250-6-2-a.html)

flyingtexan 11-02-2015 12:01 AM

Hesitation, surge, etc. 2016 F250 6.2

2016 6.2 with about 750 miles on it, I'm noticing a hesitation under part to full throttle acceleration, feels like cylinders are cutting out or something. No lights or codes, seems to shift strange on occasion as well. My first experience with the 6.2 so not sure how un-normal this is.

Chuck's First Ford 11-02-2015 03:59 AM

NOT normal.. Call and make an appointment with your dealer... get it fixed.

my 2012, with 138,000 is smooth as silk... should so yours.

RightWingNutJob 11-02-2015 07:13 AM

I think you're encountering the 6.2L engine/tranny "learning curve." Your description sounds similar to what I experienced when my truck was brand new....but can't be sure based on a description on message board, so having the truck checked out is your call.

When my truck had under 1K miles on it, it would act weird when I was rolling at a moderate speed and then stepped hard on the gas to accelerate into traffic, etc.. It was great when accelerating from a stop light if you stomped on the gas - but it couldn't seem to make up its mind if you were already rolling. The transmission hesitated before it downshifted (usually down to 2nd), the engine made more noise than power for about a second-and-a-half or so, and then it would finally decide to get moving.

I was concerned about it, but since nothing else seemed to be wrong; it wasn't throwing any lights or fault codes; and based on what other 6.2 owners had written about their brand new trucks having a learning curve, I decided to wait to see if things improved.

And they did,.. By the time the odometer had rolled over ~2K, my concern was gone. I think it was a learning affair for both the truck's computer/transmission trying to figure out my driving style, and me figuring out the vehicle too. I'm used to my 6.2 now and intuitively drive it to get the most out it. (And now that gas is < $2/gal I've been having fun putting my foot into it!)

Good listener 11-02-2015 10:42 AM

It may not be normal depending on the severity. I had some hesitation with my 2015 for a couple of thousand miles. I also had a surging cruise control issue. Both went away on their own and now the truck accelerates and cruises very smoothly at 6000 miles.

Big Vic 11-02-2015 02:07 PM

My 2014 F-250 did this for about 1500 miles. No hesitation now. I also think it has to do with the computer during break in period.

flyingtexan 11-02-2015 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by RightWingNutJob (Post 15760550)
I think you're encountering the 6.2L engine/tranny "learning curve." Your description sounds similar to what I experienced when my truck was brand new....but can't be sure based on a description on message board, so having the truck checked out is your call.

When my truck had under 1K miles on it, it would act weird when I was rolling at a moderate speed and then stepped hard on the gas to accelerate into traffic, etc.. It was great when accelerating from a stop light if you stomped on the gas - but it couldn't seem to make up its mind if you were already rolling. The transmission hesitated before it downshifted (usually down to 2nd), the engine made more noise than power for about a second-and-a-half or so, and then it would finally decide to get moving.

I was concerned about it, but since nothing else seemed to be wrong; it wasn't throwing any lights or fault codes; and based on what other 6.2 owners had written about their brand new trucks having a learning curve, I decided to wait to see if things improved.

And they did,.. By the time the odometer had rolled over ~2K, my concern was gone. I think it was a learning affair for both the truck's computer/transmission trying to figure out my driving style, and me figuring out the vehicle too. I'm used to my 6.2 now and intuitively drive it to get the most out it. (And now that gas is < $2/gal I've been having fun putting my foot into it!)

That is EXACTLY what I'm experiencing! I will keep an eye on it as the miles roll up.

RightWingNutJob 11-03-2015 07:11 AM

Glad to help.

First time it happened, I was heart sick, I thought I had bad transmission on a brand new truck. Took me a while to figure out what was causing it, and changed my driving to a bit to avoid it. So, when I needed to get moving quicker, I didn't stomp on the gas quite so hard...so it only kicked down to like 3rd...and found that I still had more than adequate power and rpm headroom to accelerate and merge on the highway.

flyingtexan 11-03-2015 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by RightWingNutJob (Post 15763065)
Glad to help.

First time it happened, I was heart sick, I thought I had bad transmission on a brand new truck. Took me a while to figure out what was causing it, and changed my driving to a bit to avoid it. So, when I needed to get moving quicker, I didn't stomp on the gas quite so hard...so it only kicked down to like 3rd...and found that I still had more than adequate power and rpm headroom to accelerate and merge on the highway.

Yep, me too. I have owned nothing but Ford trucks and have never had a single problem with any of them. The feeling this weird transmission stuff, I was like seriously? What has happened to Ford. I will monitor all this and hopefully it will learn and get over it. Normally it drives great putting around town and like you said off the line at a stop light. I only see it when I'm heavy in the gas merging onto a freeway.

Thanks again.

Unclemark 11-04-2015 01:43 AM

Mine was weird at first as well.... Sometimes it couldnt get out of its own way for nuthing. If it had not been for experiencing the same growing pains with my ecoboost 150 I would have never bought my 250 because it was a total turd for the first thousand miles or so and acted like it had issues at times.... 4400 miles on it now and its great. On a side note I know all this computer controled stuff is suposed to be the bees knees but I sure do miss throttle cables, old school transmissions and what not lol

airm4n 11-04-2015 09:08 AM

Mine seemed to me when I got to be as best as I can guess like a 2 stroke motor. You'd punch it to get into traffic quick and it was almost like it was taking a big breath then you were off and at 5000 rpm. That was with 3.73 gearing on my 2011. In the last week or two I had it regeared to 4.30 and I had to learn again. It seems very much smoother than before and even some of the odd shifting I had gotten used to seems to have disappeared now. I did find that 5 star tunes helped a lot on 3.73 gearing along with that hesitation/surging like a 2 stroke but on 4.30 I am now running stock again as it seems to shift and run the best there.

airm4n 11-04-2015 09:10 AM

I'll add that hesitation/surge is in my opinion now non-existent as best as i can tell with this new gearing in.

SWV10 11-04-2015 06:10 PM

My '16 has been perfect but I'm not in it everyday so the learning curve may not be noticeable.
Presently right at 2K Miles, does run better than brand new though, the 4.30 gears are nice.

Unclemark 11-04-2015 09:17 PM

I wish i had got the 4.30 gears in mine....

Good listener 11-05-2015 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Unclemark (Post 15767458)
I wish i had got the 4.30 gears in mine....

You're not the only one. For some reason most of the in-stock trucks the dealers order have 3:73s. I found out the folks doing the ordering don't know much about trucks. You really have to order to get anything close to what you want.

Unclemark 11-05-2015 07:31 AM

The dealer here where I live only knows how to orded two types of super duty.... Either its a base gas burner xl or its a super duper loaded out diesel model. No xlt models ever show up on their lot.... Now on the other hand 30min down the road they have an assortment of trim levels on hand thats why I made the drive buy from them.