Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.2L V8 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum206/)
-   -   6.2 Problems (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1401002-6-2-problems.html)

dgwelsh 10-07-2015 07:23 PM

6.2 Problems

Hello all, great site.

I would like to get some feedback on an issue with my 2015 F350 with the 6.2. Purchased new in July. Current mileage is just under 7000.
Yesterday the motor starting knocking very badly. Checked the oil and there was none on the dip stick. Oil life computer display thing said oil life 100%. (has since day one and hasn't changed at all) Dealer came and picked the truck up, diagnosed today. talked with Ford etc.

Apparently they are sending me a short block. Sorry I didn't get a full or clear explanation on what happened that requires a new motor, but did get this is a known problem. (i am sorry i didn't get what the problem is, but right side valve cover and oil filter were mentioned) Next week, if all the parts come in, they will be switching out the short block.

I am not pleased with this outcome. Pretty sure engine replaced at 7000 miles doesn't cause appreciation on your vehicle history report. Called Ford customer service, no help at all. I am sure the mechanic doing the work is awesome, but I didn't pay for a truck that has had the motor pulled and put back in.

I would really like some input. Am I being unreasonable?
Thanks
Duncan

rvpuller 10-07-2015 07:33 PM

From our other posts on another thread you never checked the oil in 7K miles so it could have been something as simple as a bad PCV valve from new but now you will never know. Just be glad they are giving you a new motor.

Denny

dgwelsh 10-07-2015 07:43 PM

Denny,
Please excuse my lack of knowledge. PCV valve, oil pumped to the top of the engine, just below valve covers? bad pcv valve won't let oil back down into the motor? Is that roughly correct? So theoretically, the oil is still in the motor just trapped at the top of valves?
Duncan

rvpuller 10-07-2015 07:59 PM

Bad pvc valve will draw oil vapor out of the motor and burn it.

Denny

dgwelsh 10-07-2015 08:01 PM

gotcha, and no outward symptom? other than oil loss?

rvpuller 10-07-2015 08:15 PM

I will give you a example, I had 2 2000 V10 F350 trucks with 4.30 gears both bought new. One I pulled my rv with the other was a work truck, the puller used a quart every 4.5K the work truck used a quart every 2K from new. I sold the work truck at just short of 100K and it was still using one quart every 2K, the contractor that bought it said it was still using a quart every 3K at 275K last time I talked to him.

Check your oil until you know how much it's using, all motors use some, some more than others. My 6.2 uses 3/4 of a quart in 5K miles with hard use, 5K is when I change it.

Denny

dgwelsh 10-08-2015 05:34 AM

Thanks Denny.

That is really surprising to me. The other 2012 identical truck has been bullet proof. Burns very little oil. The oil life gauge is also a little misleading, for some reason I assumed there was some internal gauge for oil viscosity, but its really only don't by mileage. Before the roll back arrived I double checked the oil life gauge, was still 100%. just an fyi.

again thank you and I will post most detailed info hopefully today.

dgwelsh 10-08-2015 04:23 PM

So I am not going to be able to relate the information about why the motor is being replaced as accurately as some might like.

The tech I spoke with today said the 2015 6.2's do not use a pcv valve. This caused the engine to consume its own oil. He drained the pan and only got 2 quarts out of it that was super black. This is a problem that Ford knows about. I think he said most of the oil was going into the intake manifold, but I was trying to digest a lot of information. The dealer has requested a long block instead of the short block.

Again not thrilled this is happening, but so far could not be more pleased with Preston Ford in MD. They seem super organized and thorough and have a great line of communication with Ford.

will update as it moves along.

ATP Pilot 10-08-2015 05:55 PM

I don't know how it can be a problem on every 6.2 engine....my truck even with heavy towing will go 5,000 miles and the oil may drop 1/16 of an inch on the dipstick. over 28,000 miles on my truck now.

dgwelsh 10-08-2015 06:09 PM

Sorry, Wasn't implying its a problem on every truck, just relaying what was told to me today by the tech. Someone more knowledgeable about such matter will hopefully chime in.

Oh, and the oil life indicator problem...when you hit the buttons on the steering wheel to cycle through the options. I think "oil life 100%" and underneath but in the same screen "press something to reset". Well this is how you adjust what interval you want your truck to remind you to change the oil. Ford uses 7000 as base oil change interval. Say you want 5000 to be your interval, you would set the % based on the % 5000 is of 7000. Needless to say I should have read the destructions, but its not the most intuitive.

rvpuller 10-08-2015 06:49 PM

The only time I did anything with the oil life was when a dealer didn't reset it, I do it the old way by wrighting it down.

The oil was black because the burned bearings from lack of oil. When I get a chance I will have to see what they used for crankcase ventalation on my 2013

Chuck's First Ford 10-08-2015 07:34 PM

the 6.2 started in 2011...

my 2012 has 140,000 miles ... a Fleet service truck and towed a work trailer all the miles...

you will NOW have a truck with a NEW engine.. I do not see this as a bad thing.

it was made by MAN... and nothing a MAN makes can be perfect...

FX4ALL 10-09-2015 08:36 AM

If it was starved of oil and is an SOHC motor... why wouldn't they replace the heads, valves, cams, etc? They would all be shot if starved of oil wouldn't they?

rvpuller 10-09-2015 09:42 AM

Let them fix the thing but I would demand a long block because the overhead cams were without oil.

I found this at Rockauto and the 2015 has a PCV valve link don't argue with them just let them fix it and life goes on. And if the pcv valve was bad there would be oil in the manifold.

Denny

bock57 10-12-2015 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by rvpuller (Post 15703496)
I found this at Rockauto and the 2015 has a PCV valve link don't argue with them just let them fix it and life goes on. And if the pcv valve was bad there would be oil in the manifold.

Denny

Denny, I have never hear of Rockauto before, but there prices look real good, have you bought form them before?

Thanks Allen