Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum117/)
-   -   Rob's Dyno Day - 248 HP IDI! (Hunting 4 Horsepower) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1396272-robs-dyno-day-248-hp-idi-hunting-4-horsepower.html)

Macrobb 09-05-2015 10:32 PM

Rob's Dyno Day - 248 HP IDI! (Hunting 4 Horsepower)

Today was a good day!

I showed up for Hunting 4 Horsepower, in Coeur D'Alene Idaho at 8:10AM, after having driven from my home in Sandpoint.

After getting settled, I ended up being approximately 4th in line for the "modified"/higher-end dyno.
After watching a couple people go at it, I finally got on the dyno myself.
The crew backed my truck onto it, up a steep ramp. The guy doing this kept asking questions like "Do your windows work?" and "Does your 4x4 work", obviously worried about my rattletrap of a truck. :P
He managed to back it up onto the dyno at idle with no issues whatsoever, and I got to take the wheel.
I was told to get it up to 2K RPM in overdrive; I figured that in my case that meant double-overdrive(I have a GVOD). My first pass was in double-overdrive, and I hit 231HP.
For my next pass, I decided to try 5th. I hit 246.5HP! Third pass(in 5th) was 243HP.
I guess the extra speed of all the rotating components and gear loss is worth 16 HP.
Here are my sheets:
Run 1:
(Forgot to take a picture, I'll upload it later)

Run 2:
http://robbiethe1st.afraid.org/image...905/run1_2.jpg

Run 3:
http://robbiethe1st.afraid.org/image...905/run1_3.jpg

NOTE:
RPM to speed calculation:
speed * 34.35 = RPM in 5th
65 = 2235
80 = 2748

After this, I went to get some lunch, and decided to try again; change the timing, see what affects my numbers.

I added a bit of advance to the timing -- a couple of degrees, to see what would happen.
I also hooked the cold idle advance to a dashboard switch, so I could switch it on on the fly.
I also disconnected my muffler and tied it in place.

In retrospect, I shouldn't have advanced it; I should have retarded it slightly for a better comparison.

Anyway, the line was much longer at this point:
http://robbiethe1st.afraid.org/image...150905_005.jpg
http://robbiethe1st.afraid.org/image...150905_006.jpg
http://robbiethe1st.afraid.org/image...150905_007.jpg
http://robbiethe1st.afraid.org/image...150905_008.jpg

Once I finally got to the dyno, my dad and brother had shown up, and my brother took video of the event:

While waiting, I saw a real cool looking bronco:
http://robbiethe1st.afraid.org/image...150905_012.jpg
:D

Second set of dyno numbers:

Run 1: - Normal, but with the changes I did above
http://robbiethe1st.afraid.org/image...905/run2_1.jpg

Run 2: - As run 1, but with the extra advance from the cold idle solenoid

Run 3: - As run 1, but in 4th gear
It looks like they didn't catch my graph until after peak torque; 66 MPH = 2983 RPM in 4th gear. 76 MPH = 3435 RPM

Either way, it still helped.

That all being said, remember what I have on this truck:
1. "stock" rebuilt motor -- no special pistons, bearings, rods or anything
2. Headstuds(which won't affect the performance, except in keeping it together)
3. Banks Sidewinder turbo(wastegated model), used from Craigslist. Paid 550 for it.
4. RD2-110 pump from Justin at R&D IDI Performance. Cost me 1200 all told
5. Justin's Stage 1 injector nozzles, put into injectors and tuned by yours truely.
6. /mechanical/ fuel injection pump
7. "Hot air" intake -- I've just got a filter on the top of the motor

So, yeah, I'm pretty happy with it so far. Especially compared to one N/A IDI which ran... and got a whopping 87 HP. And compared to stock Powerstrokes making in the 205-220 range.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to come up with RWTK numbers; knowing the HP and gearing I should be able to calculate it.
Edit: I've changed my most "real" run, the 246.5HP run, with HP, TWK and RPM numbers: http://robbiethe1st.afraid.org/image...4_adjusted.png
Peak RWTK is somewhere between 2500 and 2800, and at least 478 ft/lbs

88 Ford IDI 09-05-2015 10:56 PM

Good numbers man. Upgrade that turbo and I'm guessing you would be damn close to 300hp. How much boost were you getting out of the Banks?

Macrobb 09-05-2015 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by 88 Ford IDI (Post 15622106)
Good numbers man. Upgrade that turbo and I'm guessing you would be damn close to 300hp.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna need one. I'm going to be looking into VGT turbos; problem is that while these numbers are all in the 2K to 3K range, I'm driving around in the 1400-1900 RPM range, where the current turbo barely spools.
I really need to find something that "flattens" the torque curve; I'd love to be making most of 480 RWTK at 1600RPM.

Originally Posted by 88 Ford IDI (Post 15622106)
How much boost were you getting out of the Banks?

15PSI. I can't get anything more out of it, despite the wastegate being disconnected. I wonder if it's being mechanically pushed open? I'll have to try wiring it shut and see if that makes any difference.

88 Ford IDI 09-06-2015 04:07 PM

A VGT will definitely flatten out the power curve. There used to be a guy over on Competition Diesel who makes electronic controllers for those.

And yes I would assume that you ate overpowering the spring on the wastegate. You could modify that but I would just replace the turbo since you plan on doing that anyway. Good numbers anyway!

The_Josh_Bear 09-06-2015 11:48 PM

Rob's Dyno Day - 248 HP IDI! (Hunting 4 Horsepower)

Nice numbers! Thanks for sharing. Did Justin make it? Edit: doh, that pic didn't load last time I opened this post.

Am I the only one that thinks it's odd to have HP x MPH on a dyno graph? HP x RPM makes a lot more sense to me... Thanks for calculating out the torque and RPMs for people like me that stink at math!

Macrobb 09-07-2015 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by The_Josh_Bear (Post 15624297)
Nice numbers! Thanks for sharing. Did Justin make it? Edit: doh, that pic didn't load last time I opened this post.

I really want to hear him tell the story. I know what happened Saturday(at least before 2PM, when I went home), but no clue about Sunday. I know he was planning on doing a second run later on.

Am I the only one that thinks it's odd to have HP x MPH on a dyno graph? HP x RPM makes a lot more sense to me... Thanks for calculating out the torque and RPMs for people like me that stink at math!

Considering my truck doesn't have an OBD-2 port(and they didn't even ask), I'm not sure how they would have done so -- you'd somehow need a tach input or a manual conversion factor otherwise. And the manual conversion factor really only works with a stick where you have no converter slip.

I did see the crew at the other(stock/low-power) dyno pull out an OBD-2 cable for some vehicles; I'm sure that would give more data on those charts.
(No, they didn't pull out the cable for Justin's rig).

Effectively, yes it's a pain... but at least having the MPH numbers means it's calculable.

88 Ford IDI 09-07-2015 12:08 PM

Iirc that is how a Dynojet measures HP. It measures how fast you can move 2500lbs and then calculates off that. For torque to be measured, he would have needed them to have a crank sensor to get RPM. I believe those are usually the reflective tape type pick ups.

82F100SWB 09-07-2015 12:20 PM

Yes, usually they use an optical tach with a reflective tape strip on the balancer or OBD-2 hookup to pickup rpm for torque calcs. It uses the rpm input to calculate the torque.

RacinNdrummin 09-08-2015 12:39 AM

I watched Rob's second run (The first from a distance, I didnt know it was him, only that a Bricknose was on the Dyno, and I was mentioning how cool it was that I wasnt the only IDI to my friends...)

When I was in line for the Dyno the first time, Rob came up and introduced himself, and I was very happy to meet him, also to see that the IDI I was talking about not only was laying down good numbers, but had R&D stickers on the side!... So that being said... Take the numbers listed with a grain of salt... If the dyno Rob was running was set for a 4% correction, his numbers were about 20% low... I can personally assure you, even with a sidewinder, Rob has a 300whp+ truck...

Rob, it was good to meet you finally man... When I get some event's going on this side, you need to show up, you are close enough man!

Romel77 09-08-2015 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by RacinNdrummin (Post 15626430)
I watched Rob's second run (The first from a distance, I didnt know it was him, only that a Bricknose was on the Dyno, and I was mentioning how cool it was that I wasnt the only IDI to my friends...)

When I was in line for the Dyno the first time, Rob came up and introduced himself, and I was very happy to meet him, also to see that the IDI I was talking about not only was laying down good numbers, but had R&D stickers on the side!... So that being said... Take the numbers listed with a grain of salt... If the dyno Rob was running was set for a 4% correction, his numbers were about 20% low... I can personally assure you, even with a sidewinder, Rob has a 300whp+ truck...

Rob, it was good to meet you finally man... When I get some event's going on this side, you need to show up, you are close enough man!

Too bad I do not qualify for any of the events, my truck will be close to Robs numbers once I get everything taken care of.:D Congrats Rob, nice numbers. That sure shows that even mild turbo when corectly set and all the accesory involving it, can put down some serious numbers. U need to work on the cosmetics a bit and it is going to be head turner.:)

Macrobb 09-08-2015 08:44 PM

That's awesome.

When I was in line for the Dyno the first time, Rob came up and introduced himself, and I was very happy to meet him, also to see that the IDI I was talking about not only was laying down good numbers, but had R&D stickers on the side!...

:D

So that being said... Take the numbers listed with a grain of salt... If the dyno Rob was running was set for a 4% correction, his numbers were about 20% low... I can personally assure you, even with a sidewinder, Rob has a 300whp+ truck...

What's the deal with these correction factors? I know I dyno'd on the "modified"/high-power dyno, and you used the "stock" dyno; were both of these off?

There's a good chance of this happening. My brother lives over in the Seattle area, so I'll be able to crash with him for a couple of days.

Originally Posted by Romel77 (Post 15626856)
That sure shows that even mild turbo when corectly set and all the accesory involving it, can put down some serious numbers.

If there's one thing that makes all the difference, it's timing. A couple degrees makes a world of difference. And, at least in my case, I did it all by ear. I literally had not put a timing light on the truck since before I swapped the pump in; I just adjusted by feel. I guess it worked out. That being said, if you want a daily driver as well as a dyno rig, the timing isn't just a single number -- you have to manage to get it just retarded enough to make good power in the 2K+ range, while maintaining a nice advanced curve down low(or it will be sluggish off the line).

Originally Posted by Romel77 (Post 15626856)
U need to work on the cosmetics a bit and it is going to be head turner.:)

Unfortunately, the cosmetics seem to be going downhill over time. <_<
Last winter, I slid it around a tree when I got stuck in the snow, and I keep making things more out of whack every time I try to get things better -- I found the right front body mount was totally disconnected, installed a new one, and in order to get things to bolt down right, my front fender panel is now not square to the rest of the cab. *sigh*.
Realistically, there's a much better chance of me finding another OBS(maby a CCLB) cheap and dropping my drivetrain in it than there is of actually making my truck look /good/.
Making it look like something from Roadkill, however... :P

kla94 09-09-2015 06:28 PM

This is similar to the setup that I want. Great numbers man!

Romel77 09-13-2015 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Macrobb (Post 15622132)
Yeah, I think I'm gonna need one. I'm going to be looking into VGT turbos; problem is that while these numbers are all in the 2K to 3K range, I'm driving around in the 1400-1900 RPM range, where the current turbo barely spools.
I really need to find something that "flattens" the torque curve; I'd love to be making most of 480 RWTK at 1600RPM.

I am on the same note Rob, it would be nice to find VGT turbo and make it work on our trucks, as u say I care more about torque and hp in the 1400-2000 range where we drive. Not much here in Europe I know of, everything is small or just too big. Have u thought of a biturbo setup? I am not a genius how to hook it up and make the turbos switch one to another but it is the way EU engine makers go. The new BMW engine is going to have 4 turbos.

There is the article about it, however in Czech, use google translator.
?ty?i turba pro nový diesel od BMW ? Novinky.cz

Macrobb 09-13-2015 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Romel77 (Post 15639472)
Have u thought of a biturbo setup? I am not a genius how to hook it up and make the turbos switch one to another but it is the way EU engine makers go.

My understanding is that each bank has it's own turbo hooked up to that side exhaust and intake(though you /might/ connect the intakes together, I'm not sure).
It's probably easy enough to do, it's just money for the turbos and exhaust fabrication.

At this point, what my next step is, is that I'm going to talk to Justin.
I've got to PM him, see if he'll be around week after next; I'm going to be within a few miles of his house. At that time, if I can I'd like to go see him and talk about turbo options. See what he can get for me and what costs.

I want to see first off if his Stg1-3 turbos(remember, he has new ones now) can spool nicely at low RPM, or whether I will /need/ a VGT.

Unfortunately, VGTs seem to be larger than normal turbos, so I'm thinking it might not fit at the back of the engine; it might need to be mounted on the passenger side fender well, like the other guy who did a VGT did.

Romel77 09-13-2015 01:47 PM

What I thought is we have here local kind of truck that uses a turbo, bigger one non wastegated or smaller one wastegated, the displacement of the engine is 3.5 liter diesel, which would maybe fit to each bank, the beauty is u can pick them up for extremely cheap and rebuilt is cheap. I have searched for the map, but can not find it anywhere, have to contact the manufacturer. Have to talk about it with Justin as well.

Well I meant biturbo setup originaly with one small one for lower rpm and then the bigger getting on, but it is just the theory, I do not know how to hook it up and control. Have to educate myself in that field. It is just the thought.