Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Diesel exhaust filter at capacity, service now (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1393833-diesel-exhaust-filter-at-capacity-service-now.html)

Gatedreamer 08-20-2015 12:36 AM

Diesel exhaust filter at capacity, service now

So I am traveling from MI to Yellowstone towing 16,000 pound 5th wheel. As I am about to cross the Rockies the warning light for the "diesel exhaust filter overburdened, drive to clean" comes on. Then shortly after that a second message, "diesel exhaust filter at capacity, service now" lights up with both the engine light and the wrench light come on. I turn around and drive to nearest Ford dealer in Lander Wyoming. They check the truck the next day and find nothing wrong (all warnings cleared after unhitching the 5th wheel) and give me the ok to continue on. After less than 30 minutes of towing the "drive to clean" warning comes back on, and then the "service now" message reappears. I call the dealer and they advise me to return the truck so they can check it again. They replace an exhaust pressure sensor and send me on my way. One hour later all the warning lights come back on and the engine power is automatically limited. I pull over and shut off the engine for 10 minutes then resume with fill power restored. I continue on with my trip with the warning messages continuing to pop up all the way to Yellowstone. The engine powers down one more time while going up a 10 degree incline on mountain pass. Again returns to normal power after stopping for 5 minutes. Help!! I don't know what else to do!

golfmedik 08-20-2015 03:33 AM

Wow, that's a new one on me. If you will hang out for a few more hours and let the world wake up, I'm sure that some of these guys can give you answer. To me it sounds like it would have to be in either a sensor, the dpf itself or software. But these guys here are fantastic and will be along shortly.

lynnmor 08-20-2015 04:05 AM

How many miles are on the truck? There comes a time when the DPF needs to be removed and cleaned or replaced.

93-331-29PSI 08-20-2015 07:48 AM

What year truck?

FordService 08-20-2015 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Gatedreamer (Post 15582381)
So I am traveling from MI to Yellowstone towing 16,000 pound 5th wheel. As I am about to cross the Rockies the warning light for the "diesel exhaust filter overburdened, drive to clean" comes on. Then shortly after that a second message, "diesel exhaust filter at capacity, service now" lights up with both the engine light and the wrench light come on. I turn around and drive to nearest Ford dealer in Lander Wyoming. They check the truck the next day and find nothing wrong (all warnings cleared after unhitching the 5th wheel) and give me the ok to continue on. After less than 30 minutes of towing the "drive to clean" warning comes back on, and then the "service now" message reappears. I call the dealer and they advise me to return the truck so they can check it again. They replace an exhaust pressure sensor and send me on my way. One hour later all the warning lights come back on and the engine power is automatically limited. I pull over and shut off the engine for 10 minutes then resume with fill power restored. I continue on with my trip with the warning messages continuing to pop up all the way to Yellowstone...

Welcome to the forum, Gatedreamer; I'm going to get this into the hands of your regional customer service manager so they can help. Since you're a new member, you may not have PM access yet; send me an email with your details to custserv@ford.com. When writing, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and the name of the dealership you've been working with. Additionally, put my name ("Crystal") in the subject line of the email and post here once you've sent it. That account isn't monitored daily; once you've posted, I'll know to go looking for it.

Crystal

Gatedreamer 08-20-2015 10:10 AM

Crystal

Originally Posted by FordService (Post 15582720)
Welcome to the forum, Gatedreamer; I'm going to get this into the hands of your regional customer service manager so they can help. Since you're a new member, you may not have PM access yet; send me an email with your details to custserv@ford.com. When writing, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and the name of the dealership you've been working with. Additionally, put my name ("Crystal") in the subject line of the email and post here once you've sent it. That account isn't monitored daily; once you've posted, I'll know to go looking for it.

Crystal

Crystal, I emailed you my information. My 2015 F-350 Platinum has 14,900 miles. We're on our way to Utah to visit my son who is in the Air Force and I'm nervous that we may get stranded again with truck problems. Thank you for your assistance.

FordService 08-20-2015 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Gatedreamer (Post 15582949)
Crystal, I emailed you my information. My 2015 F-350 Platinum has 14,900 miles. We're on our way to Utah to visit my son who is in the Air Force and I'm nervous that we may get stranded again with truck problems. Thank you for your assistance.

Got it, Gatedreamer; thanks for reaching out. I replied to the email with your case information. Be sure to let us know how things progress.

Crystal

jonesuh 08-21-2015 11:04 AM

same problem

I posted this on a new thread ----

2015 Regen????

I bought a 2015 f250 last june ---drove a couple of thousand miles--then took a trip towing my RV (8000 pound trailer) drove from Houston to Raton Pass NM ---800+ miles----engine light comes on Exhaust Filter overloaded-- Service---took to dealer in Trinidad ---they did a manual regen---all good ---3600 miles later getting to Butte Mt then same problem---dealer says filter NOT overloaded does another manual regen---800+ miles later same problem Durango ford dealer calls Ford keeps truck 3 days does a computer upgrade (I think just software)---all good no problem plus manual regen
fast forward 1 year---going back to Colorado---just short of Raton (almost exact same spot as previous year)----truck tries to clean end up with overloaded message get serviced ---have truck towed to dealer in Montrose---($700 tow bill paid by ford) dealer does computer soft ware up grade & a manual regen (that I have to pay) tells me that they see this problem on 2015 models recommends I add EXTRA cetane I usually use 4 oz per tank---up to 6 oz per---3 weeks later start back to Texas ---- problem reoccurs---no dealer in sight truck seems to be running fine doing short regens but always saying overloaded get serviced ----then like magic after 300-400 miles I get to Clovis NM (on Texas border) then regen starts last for roughly 40 miles get message regen drive complete) check engine light gone---as is service light out---no more warnings on monitor no problems since drove 600 miles home Truck now has ~~25000 miles of which probably 6000 are towing the RV
this is my 1st diesel truck---have owned 3 150s and had a 2007 V10 f250
Gotta say---after owning only Ford Vehicles for the last 30+ years I'm think about a Chevy or Dodge---I don't like having to spend my vacations
looking for a ford dealer ---
I cant believe I'm the only guy with this problem (after my conversation with the dealer in Colorado) I have a service appointment with my dealer Monday---but I gotta say I don't expect much help

any thoughts appreciated

senix 08-21-2015 04:58 PM

get a new servicing dealer.

Dakster 08-21-2015 11:49 PM

Let us know what happens and how they fix it. I don't like the new regen strategy in the 2015 compared to the last regen strategy I had in my 2011 when I traded it in.

Gatedreamer 08-24-2015 10:37 AM

So, after I messaged Crystal from Ford my information, I was contacted by Ford customer service and set up an appointment at a local dealer in Layton UT, Ed Kenley Ford. The customer service rep told me she thinks they know what the problem is. In the mean time I drove the truck for hundreds of miles through the Grand Tetons & Yellowstone after unhitching in Idaho and had no issues at all. After leaving Idaho I towed my 5th wheel 4 hours to Utah with no warning lights at all. I am currently waiting at the dealer in Utah while they "run their diagnostics" before they will rent me a vehicle to use as was discussed with the Ford Service Rep. They were supposed to be expecting me but seem to know nothing about my situation. Will update as soon as they tell me something.

jonesuh 08-24-2015 10:44 AM

please let me know what they do ---I have not heard from Ford---going to call today---I'm totally at a loss---no one seems to know why I have the problem only when towing at a high altitude

Gatedreamer 08-24-2015 10:58 AM

Jonesuh, they are running a manual regen as we speak. I'm curious, were you using cruise control while towing when yours acted up? I was using cruise control, except when crossing over Teton mountain pass. When I left Idaho for Utah I did not use cruise control and had no warnings at all. Coincidence? Also, when the dealer in Wyoming ran the truck on their computer they told me the exhaust filter was at 70% and that isn't enough to trigger the auto regen cycle. I'm no diesel mechanic, but 70% sounds high to me.

FordService 08-24-2015 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Gatedreamer (Post 15591742)
So, after I messaged Crystal from Ford my information, I was contacted by Ford customer service and set up an appointment at a local dealer in Layton UT, Ed Kenley Ford. The customer service rep told me she thinks they know what the problem is...

I'm glad to hear that things are progressing, Gatedreamer; be sure to stay in touch with your customer service manager (CSM) so they can continue to assist. If you need any additional help from my neck of the woods, don't hesitate to ask. :-X22

Originally Posted by jonesuh (Post 15591754)
please let me know what they do ---I have not heard from Ford---going to call today---I'm totally at a loss---no one seems to know why I have the problem only when towing at a high altitude

Hi jonesuh,

Just to clarfiy, are you seeing any warning messages now? Let me know; I'll see what I can do to assist.

Crystal

jonesuh 08-24-2015 02:24 PM

crystal I spoke to customer service & now have a case #
I do not have a current warning light---it's almost like magic when I drove back from Colorado---just before Clovis NM (on the Texas state Line) the truck went thru a regen cycle that lasted approx. 45 minutes( high way driving 60mph towing) got the sign regen drive complete all warnings disappeared (this after having a dealer service and a manual regen by the dealership (that I had to pay for & haven't been reimbursed for the rent car ) and less than a thousand miles on the vehicle

I sure hope this can be fixed but I have to say---I really don't have much confidence (after the post I have seen hear and what the service tech in Colorado told me as well as a couple of conservations I had in Colorado with other 2015 owners

any help appreciated