Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Low HPOP oil. Hard start/no start. Questions! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1391943-low-hpop-oil-hard-start-no-start-questions.html)

JT250 08-07-2015 01:08 PM

Low HPOP oil. Hard start/no start. Questions!

Over the past several weeks I have developed a hard start situation that turned in to a no start situation today. Before hooking up AE I looked in the HPOP and there was no oil. What causes the oil to train out of the HPOP? It is a T500

cookie88 08-07-2015 02:52 PM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...1abf78ea41.jpg

#3 in this pic. Some people call it an anti drain back valve. Ford calls it a quick fill valve. In either case if the check ball becomes damaged or corroded or debris gets in it, it will allow the HPO reservoir to drain when the engine is static.

JT250 08-07-2015 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by cookie88 (Post 15555016)

#3 in this pic. Some people call it an anti drain back valve. Ford calls it a quick fill valve. In either case if the check ball becomes damaged or corroded or debris gets in it, it will allow the HPO reservoir to drain when the engine is static.

So I guess I need to contact Terminator about it.

JT250 08-07-2015 04:41 PM

Joey at TE says its not the hpop. He says there is nothing to keep the oil on the reservoir. I am confused!!

Pikachu 08-07-2015 04:52 PM

You have a leak somewhere. Most likely an injector o-ring.

JT250 08-07-2015 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Pikachu (Post 15555232)
You have a leak somewhere. Most likely an injector o-ring.

Well that's what he said. Sucks

cookie88 08-07-2015 06:21 PM

No. The valve is not part of the HPOP. Look down behind the reservoir toward the drivers side. You should be able to see the plug. If I remember correctly it's a 3/8" square drive plug and it is accessible without removing the HPOP.

Not saying it's not an injector o-ring. It definitely could be. The book also suggests a weak LPOP as a possible culprit.

Is the HPOP reservoir draining overnight, or is the hard/no start every time?

JT250 08-07-2015 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by cookie88 (Post 15555386)
No. The valve is not part of the HPOP. Look down behind the reservoir toward the drivers side. You should be able to see the plug. If I remember correctly it's a 3/8" square drive plug and it is accessible without removing the HPOP.

Not saying it's not an injector o-ring. It definitely could be. The book also suggests a weak LPOP as a possible culprit.

Is the HPOP reservoir draining overnight, or is the hard/no start every time?

It is not every time. Only if it sits for an extended period of time.

cookie88 08-08-2015 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by JT250 (Post 15555473)
It is not every time. Only if it sits for an extended period of time.

I don't remember where I put the part number, but there is a a replacement check ball and spring kit.

Your symptoms are by far the most commonly described for a bad anti drain back valve.

It could still be an injector o-ring, but if the lower one leaks it's into the fuel rail which I would think would cause a smokey start, and the upper would leak back to the pan out the top. I don't know, but I think gravity should prevent that.

JT250 08-08-2015 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by cookie88 (Post 15556170)

I don't remember where I put the part number, but there is a a replacement check ball and spring kit.

Your symptoms are by far the most commonly described for a bad anti drain back valve.

It could still be an injector o-ring, but if the lower one leaks it's into the fuel rail which I would think would cause a smokey start, and the upper would leak back to the pan out the top. I don't know, but I think gravity should prevent that.

I replaced that in the stock HPOP before buying the T500. I wonder why Joey doesn't agree with that?

cookie88 08-09-2015 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by JT250 (Post 15557645)
I replaced that in the stock HPOP before buying the T500. I wonder why Joey doesn't agree with that?

I think we are still not on the same page. I'm taking about the check valve in the block. Not in the pump.

I think that all the aftermarket pumps delete the in pump valve. I also think Joey is just trying to assure you that his pump is not the problem. I agree with that.

JT250 08-10-2015 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by cookie88 (Post 15558703)
I think we are still not on the same page. I'm taking about the check valve in the block. Not in the pump.

I think that all the aftermarket pumps delete the in pump valve. I also think Joey is just trying to assure you that his pump is not the problem. I agree with that.

Ok you beat it into my thick skull. I am with you now. I probably won't get to look into this until Wednesday. Thanks!

JT250 08-10-2015 04:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are the part numbers found on a different forum which I am not a member of. ;) I have not dug into it yet but figured I would post this while I remembered. My local Ford parts guy had never heard of it and couldnt find it on any diagram.

Attachment 122708

JT250 08-14-2015 09:41 PM

So I took the check valve plug off. There was no oil under the plug. I read that if there is no oil in there then that is the source of the leak. Makes sense ....the check ball should keep the oil in. So I replaced yah ball an spring. I did not replace the seat because I do no know how to get it out. However that did not solve my problem. I am loosing all my oil in 8 hours.. :-huh anybody have any ideas? Injector orings would have to be really bad to drain that much oil that fast. And I would notice it somewhere right?

I am stumped!

cookie88 08-16-2015 12:15 AM

Injector orings would have to be really bad to drain that much oil that fast. And I would notice it somewhere right?
Remove the HPO lines from the heads and tie them up higher than reservoir level. Then fill the reservoir and let it sit overnight. If the reservoir still drains you have eliminated the injectors as a possibility.

Has the HPOP or the reservoir cover been removed lately. I have read where either one of those gaskets can allow the reservoir to drain if they're damaged.