Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Cleaning Exhaust Filter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1391099-cleaning-exhaust-filter.html)

slinky_70 08-01-2015 06:36 PM

Cleaning Exhaust Filter

My truck started to display exhaust filter clogged and cleaning exhaust filter multiple times today. The cleaning exhaust message stayed on until I hot OK and then it comes back later. Not sure what this means

69cj 08-01-2015 06:39 PM

It would be nice to know the year truck and miles on it. Maintenance and more. You ask a lot and give very little info.

slinky_70 08-01-2015 09:57 PM

Wow I guess since I posted in the 6.7 forum that that would be sufficient.

11,500 miles
2 oil changes
fuel filters replaced at 9000

Ricohman 08-01-2015 11:19 PM

How long do you drive daily?
Towing?
Do you drive until the regen is complete?
Do you shut it down during regen?
City or highway?

slinky_70 08-02-2015 12:02 AM

Lately I have been driving short distances. City only. I am not sure what a regen is.

zeroo 08-02-2015 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Ricohman (Post 15543098)
How long do you drive daily?
Towing?
Do you drive until the regen is complete?
Do you shut it down during regen?
City or highway?

Why ford did not give owners a light that stays on during regen is a mystery. Most people will have no ideal how long regens last, or if they have ever completed one. Thank god for the edge insight.

zeroo 08-02-2015 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by slinky_70 (Post 15543134)
Lately I have been driving short distances. City only. I am not sure what a regen is.

One quick thing to know is that when you notice that message come across, your truck wants to be driven for about 15 to 20 more minutes before shutting off or even putting in park.

kper05 08-02-2015 12:22 AM

If it is reporting "drive to clean exhaust" and then "cleaning exhaust filter" some time later, go for a long drive. You can keep an eye on your instant MPG screen to know when it's still going and when it's done. Know what the graph looks like normally and then the graph should be significantly lower at highway speeds while in active regeneration.

Lots of short trips do not allow the DPF to heat up enough to turn the soot into ash. Take it for a long drive often.

senix 08-02-2015 06:24 AM

These trucks don't take kindly to short stop and go commutes.

That produces a lot of soot and will require more frequent regens.

jonrjen 08-02-2015 07:01 AM

I guess my first question would be, how long have you owned your truck and are you familiar with the emission system requirements as to adding DEF and why you are required to do so.

Given your question and response I will assume the answer to be, yes but with limited knowledge.

It would benefit you to spend some time reading various post here on the 6.7 site. This will truly bring the focus of Knowledge is of great Value....both mental and monetary value.

They are great power plants but do require some owner knowledge as to little quirks, maintenance, and operation.

Last but not least, Welcome to the forum. Always glad to have new members sign up and join in.

If you will take the time to enter your model and year of your truck in your signature it could help with other members in responding to any questions you have. Some model year trucks tend to exhibit different issues more so than other model years do. While this is the 6.7 forum there are differences between various production generations of the engine.

jonrjen 08-02-2015 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by slinky_70 (Post 15543134)

Here is an article of what a Regen is, why it is, and how it can be done in various ways. Not exciting to read, but sure covers all the bases.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_particulate_filter

I use a ScanGauge II to monitor different parameters on my truck. One of which is always at least one EGT Sensor. By doing this I can take a quick look at the current EGT temp and see if I am in the middle of a Regen cycle. I can tell when the cycle has completed by watching the temp begin to drop back down to a normal operating range. You can also program the SGII to read either on or off for a Regen cycle. The SGII is a great investment for only $159 or less, simple plug n play offering a wealth of engine management information.

slinky_70 08-02-2015 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by jonrjen (Post 15543304)
I guess my first question would be, how long have you owned your truck and are you familiar with the emission system requirements as to adding DEF and why you are required to do so.

Given your question and response I will assume the answer to be, yes but with limited knowledge.

It would benefit you to spend some time reading various post here on the 6.7 site. This will truly bring the focus of Knowledge is of great Value....both mental and monetary value.

They are great power plants but do require some owner knowledge as to little quirks, maintenance, and operation.

Last but not least, Welcome to the forum. Always glad to have new members sign up and join in.

If you will take the time to enter your model and year of your truck in your signature it could help with other members in responding to any questions you have. Some model year trucks tend to exhibit different issues more so than other model years do. While this is the 6.7 forum there are differences between various production generations of the engine.

Thanks for your info. I have an F350 Lariat 4x4 that I absolutely love. I replaced my 2003 F350 Lariat 4x4 with a v10 because I pull a 30' 5th wheel and this truck is amazing how it pulls.
Seems I cannot add a signature until I have 5 posts.

I am new to the diesel line. I was just the first time I saw this message and not sure if it ever completed this regen process.

I took it out this morning and drove for about 40 miles on the highway and did not see any more messages.

Is there any way to know when a regen has completed?

senix 08-02-2015 03:33 PM

Only way to kind of tell is to watch your instant fuel meter.

During a regen it will be very low. As it completes you will see if rise to where is normally is for you.

Guages would be the other way to tell.

jonrjen 08-02-2015 03:46 PM

Sadly Ford did not think that we needed such silly impute as to know when the truck has completed the Regen cycle. A simple idiot light would have solved this matter, but it didn't happen. As others have mentioned if you have your screen monitor set to where you are watching the instant MPG you will know by watching the MPG lower during the Regen cycle and begin to increase once it has completed. It took me a few thousand miles of driving my truck before I ever saw the notification of cleaning the exhaust filter message. It comes up so quick and goes away even faster that it is easy to miss.

If you do a lot of short distance driving you are going to build up soot much more rapidly. In which case I would take the truck out at least once a month for a nice long highway drive allowing it to get up to temp and burn things clean. Don't be afraid to work it hard when you can. I like to turn off the stereo and listen to the turbo sing as it builds pressure while the torque sets me back in the seat.

I still recommend picking up a Scan Gauge II monitor. They run around $159 delivered and can be set up to read a Regen cycle on or off cycle. Or you can set it up to monitor one or all of the EGT Sensors. During the Regen cycle the temps will exceed 1,000 degrees during the cycle, once the temp starts to drop the Regen has completed.
There is a member who has a SGII listed for sale in the "Classified Section" currently. I think he was asking $139 for it delivered still new in the package.

The SGII installation only involves plugging it into the OBD port, simple plug and play.

Of course the SGII will also monitor many other items if you prefer. I wish I had owned one back when my kids were still living at home and would ask to borrow my Vettes or Lightning trucks. Because they will also give you a read out for the last 24 hours as well as the day before with such information of miles driven, max MPH, max RPM, gallons of fuel used, max temps, average MPH, and such. I'm sure the twins would have hated me to have this information....LOL.

sdetweil 08-02-2015 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by slinky_70 (Post 15544004)
Thanks for your info. I have an F350 Lariat 4x4 that I absolutely love. I replaced my 2003 F350 Lariat 4x4 with a v10 because I pull a 30' 5th wheel and this truck is amazing how it pulls.
Seems I cannot add a signature until I have 5 posts.

I am new to the diesel line. I was just the first time I saw this message and not sure if it ever completed this regen process.

I took it out this morning and drove for about 40 miles on the highway and did not see any more messages.

Is there any way to know when a regen has completed?

In addition to the scan guage, you can use the Torque Pro app for android devices. (IF u have one)

I distribute the plugin that supports the 6.7l sensors.

Then u can watch regen come on and go off, along with many other sensors