Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Is the A/C bad on my truck, or all in general? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1390496-is-the-a-c-bad-on-my-truck-or-all-in-general.html)

troverman 08-12-2015 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Caysea (Post 15564947)
Hi All
Trover I think you are absolutely right
It is a system of parts that can be replaced. As I said I just want the problem fixed. Do I think I would be getting this attention from this service dept. if I didn't escalate the problem. I don't think so. Will I be using this dealership again
NO I will go out of my way and be inconvenienced but no confidence in there repair dept at this point.
Will keep all informed as this plays out.

KC

I've had the same problem with untrustworthy and incompetent service techs at my local dealership. It depended on who I got - one guy was thorough and one guy was sloppy. Routinely found my oil over / underfilled and use of aftermarket parts while being charged OEM. Problem is, next dealer is 30 minutes away and they aren't great either. After that, its a good 45 minute drive. For now, I'm doing the routine service myself - of course, that doesn't work when it's an A/C repair.

Good luck, hope they can fix it properly for you.

chjchj 08-12-2015 10:16 AM

Mine works pretty well and I have an XL, so no carpeting and probably less insulation. If its working correctly, you should see condensation pouring down behind the passenger side front wheel. Mine leaves a puddle everywhere I stop. If you're not getting that, it may not be working right.http://loanfinanceus.com/yellow/images/37.gif http://loanfinanceus.com/yellow/images/25.gif

my_crib_too 08-12-2015 03:00 PM

The AC on my 2015 works better than the AC on my 2011 F250. It gets cold in the truck now. Wife wears a sweatshirt on some longer trips when we take the dogs along. All the males in my family (Me and the two little dogs) like a cold truck on hot days. :D

bruce...

Caysea 08-13-2015 08:52 PM

Hi All

Latest up date. No call yesterday. This AM received a call from the service manager who has been keeping me informed as to what they are doing.
I am not a mechanic so will be just repeating what I am being told. He said the actuator door replacement didn't fix the problem. They are now going to replace the compressor ( original failed and have had 2 already put on in the past). This is now the 4 compressor on this truck. They will be replacing the condenser and flushing the system. According to him the truck will be ready tomorrow.

In Florida the BBB acts as the go between with the lemon law. They got back to me and at this time Ford is giving me a complimentary 5 year 75000 protection plan for free. Has no bearing on what we do in regards to if this becomes a buy back.
Well not to optimistic at this time. To be continued.
KC

NYCruiser 08-13-2015 09:22 PM

Amazing if they can't fix it. There isn't much to it as far as hardware. You can buy the whole AC kit as a dealer install item for a truck that didn't come with ac for $1,400 dollars.

Like this one:

http://www.bought4less.com/bought4le...5e706dd-p.html

Caysea 08-13-2015 09:37 PM

Hi All
NY I think the word is SAD they can't fix this. I would have liked to have seen what went on there this week. Just doesn't add up to me. Tomorrow should be interesting.

KC

SultanGris 08-14-2015 03:07 AM

not sure if its been pointed out but it will cool better if youre driving it. these trucks idle at very low RPM and the AC compressor isnt working to full capacity at an idle. If youre always in a city taking short trips with stop and go traffic that might be at least part of your problem. How does it work on the hiway? mines great but it does take a while to cool down initially if its sunny and 100 degrees outside, black truck, black leather, large interior, i use auto climate and set it to 69 if its hot in the summer and 72 if its cold in the winter and it is able to maintain auto temp perfectly, unlike my buddies chevy which cant even come close to maintaining a constant temp, auto climate in a chevy is worthless. Water puddles are normal, more humidity=more water.

troverman 08-14-2015 06:44 AM

Sultan, I don't believe the problem is the compressor at idle - its the engine fan. As you mentioned, the engine idles low. These trucks have a large cooling system and won't come close to overheating even if they idle all day. The viscous fan is not fully coupled and only moves a minimal amount of air through the A/C heat exchanger located in front of the radiator. Thus, not all of the heat removed from the cab is transferred out of the freon. So it cools, but not optimally. Stand next to an F-150 which has an electric fan. Switch on the A/C, and that fan runs at high RPM.

donovan 08-14-2015 11:12 AM

AC

AC on both diesel that I have owned don't cool as fast as my gas truck. I get big puddles of water under the truck I run it all the time on MAX. I really dislike going to the dealer for a issues and being told no problems.

Caysea 08-15-2015 12:09 PM

Hi All
Follow up on AC system failure.
Picked up truck last night. Can say at this time the AC is working great.
The following is what they did per the work invoice.

replace expansion valve. recharge system concern still present
installed new driver side temperature blend door actuator concern still present
install new a/c compressor
install new condenser
flushed a/c lines
leak tested system pass
vacuum charged a/c to correct level retest pass

concern corrected at this time. test drove

Again i don't think this type of problem should have to go the route through the lemon law but don't think if left to the local dealer they would have been as thorough. After all I had 6 repeat repair visits for this problem not counting the final fix. Yes it was a matter of replacing parts but also retesting not assuming the problem is fixed.

KC

xr7gt390 08-16-2015 05:47 PM

I'm glad they got it working for you!