Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Gearhead SRL+ P1102 lower airflow than expected (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1390360-gearhead-srl-p1102-lower-airflow-than-expected.html)

Kdawg89 07-27-2015 08:42 PM

Gearhead SRL+ P1102 lower airflow than expected

Hi All,

I got SRL+ tunes from Gearhead and now I have P1102 and a check engine light. I also get a ton of smoke when I first stab it, my EGTS are also through the roof I can't even get to WOT without shooting over 1300 degrees. Truck has a 4 inch downpipe and 5 inch straight pipe from there back so exhaust flow should be great. I am wondering if maybe the AFE intake could be causing to much restriction, it was there when I bought the truck but I did just put a new 7 layer AFE filter on it.. Any thoughts?

WatsonR 07-27-2015 08:55 PM

Clean the MAF.

I'm running SLR+ and Atlas 40, 4" pipe and no issues.... with AFE intake. I get a slight puff when I stab it. Ask Matt at Gearhead to tighten the smoke control for SLR+, that should kill the puff.

Can't tell you what my EGTS are, no gauge.

bismic 07-27-2015 09:24 PM

P1102 could also be caused by a boost leak, exhaust restriction, binding turbo, egr valve, or lack of proper fuel into the cylinders. Could be caused by a broken/damaged Vref wire at the Mass Air Flow sensor.

Kdawg89 07-27-2015 09:44 PM

The thing is it is only when using the Gearhead tunes... If I flash back to canned SCT tunes even the performance tune I don't get the code but 8k tow and SRL+ both set it and very quickly.

Edit: it actually sets the code just at idle after about 20 seconds

Yahiko 07-27-2015 11:26 PM

What year are we taking about? There is a 2015 listed in your info.

Sean https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...455b8d603e.gif

6.0L Tech Folder :oval

Kdawg89 07-27-2015 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Yahiko (Post 15531978)
What year are we taking about? There is a 2015 listed in your info.

I'll have to go see why that's listed because I only have a 15 in my dreams 😃 it's an 07

Yahiko 07-28-2015 01:13 AM

Hmm. I just rechecked it and must of hit the
wrong person's "About Me"

Sorry about that.

What color is the smoke? It almost sounds like over fueling
from what you have said so far.

Also double check the strategy the tune your running was written for.

Kdawg89 07-28-2015 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Yahiko (Post 15532085)
Hmm. I just rechecked it and must of hit the
wrong person's "About Me"

Sorry about that.

What color is the smoke? It almost sounds like over fueling
from what you have said so far.

Also double check the strategy the tune your running was written for.

The smoke is pitch black and really only there for a second until it builds boost then it cleans up, but in that second it is a lot of smoke. That's with the SRL+ tune, 8k tow didn't smoke bad at all but still triggered CEL. I have also been emailing Gearhead and he had me check the strategy and it definitely matches. He sent me a new file to make sure it wasn't corrupt but if that doesn't help they will write the MAF out of the tune and see what that does.

bismic 07-28-2015 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Kdawg89 (Post 15531745)
The thing is it is only when using the Gearhead tunes... If I flash back to canned SCT tunes even the performance tune I don't get the code but 8k tow and SRL+ both set it and very quickly.

Edit: it actually sets the code just at idle after about 20 seconds

Even though it only does it with the tune, you could still have one of the problems above. It would be wise to at least look. An actual air related problem (such as with the MAF) might not be bad enough for stock, but show up with the tune.

Kdawg89 07-28-2015 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by bismic (Post 15532283)
Even though it only does it with the tune, you could still have one of the problems above. It would be wise to at least look. An actual air related problem (such as with the MAF) might not be bad enough for stock, but show up with the tune.

Well the tunes trigger the light after just idling for about 20 seconds not touching the throttle at all.. As far as I can figure that pretty much rules those things out. I can't imagine one of those issues causing a problem at idle with Gearhead tunes but not after lots of hard driving on the performance canned SCT tune. If that's not sound logic certainly let me know but I dont even know where to start because all of those things you mentioned should cause issues when running at high load not idling.

Edit: also the truck has EGR delete so not coming from the EGR.

Toreador_Diesel 07-28-2015 08:28 AM

I'm with Mark on this...

If your truck has issues, tuinng it will only intensify the issue(s) and will bring others to light.

Per Mark, if your MAF (use MAF cleaner only), EGR valve (carb cleaner), EBPS, EBPS tube, and EBPS fitting at the manifold, MAP (use shop air or wire hanger to clear) nipple at the intake manifold, IAT2 in the intake manifold, haven't been cleaned, it's high time to do so.

If your turbo has never been cleaned, it may be time to do so as well. I did mine just recently and it's made a world of difference boosting.

Kdawg89 07-28-2015 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel (Post 15532453)
I'm with Mark on this...

If your truck has issues, tuinng it will only intensify the issue(s) and will bring others to light.

Per Mark, if your MAF (use MAF cleaner only), EGR valve (carb cleaner), EBPS, EBPS tube, and EBPS fitting at the manifold, MAP (use shop air or wire hanger to clear) nipple at the intake manifold, IAT2 in the intake manifold, haven't been cleaned, it's high time to do so.

If your turbo has never been cleaned, it may be time to do so as well. I did mine just recently and it's made a world of difference boosting.

I will give that a shot because it can't hurt anything but we are talking about it setting a code when idling for even just 10-15 seconds after the flash of SRL+ or 8K tow when other higher performance tunes don't set the code ever under any condition. By higher performance I am talking about canned SCT performance tune vs 8K tow. I could see if this code was being triggered under a high load situation with these high power tunes but it is at idle where airflow requirements are minimal.

Toreador_Diesel 07-28-2015 11:03 AM

Once you clean everything up, make sure to run the truck till hot, disconnect the batteries for 10-15 minutes, start the truck and let it idle for another 10 minutes. This will help the truck build a new baseline.

Yahiko 07-28-2015 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Kdawg89 (Post 15532274)
The smoke is pitch black and really only there for a second until it builds boost then it cleans up, but in that second it is a lot of smoke. That's with the SRL+ tune, 8k tow didn't smoke bad at all but still triggered CEL. I have also been emailing Gearhead and he had me check the strategy and it definitely matches. He sent me a new file to make sure it wasn't corrupt but if that doesn't help they will write the MAF out of the tune and see what that does.

From what you have posted I am 100% with Mark on what you need to be looking at.

I think if you had access to the IDS of os me of the other tools that can run a turbo response.
You could then look at the graphic and see if the turbo is lagging much of it's response.

Black smoke is over fueling or poor air flow. High EGT says the same thing.

Clean and check the things that were recommended. Do you have something like the
SGII to watch live data? I would also watch the MAP,VGT. Trying to think is there is others
that you could watch. Do the testing with it set to stock.

Kdawg89 07-28-2015 06:00 PM

I will do those things, truck has a new turbo and EGR delete so those 2 things are a not an issue. Gearhead doesn't think any of this is caused by an airflow problem on the truck because they can't figure out why I would get the light with SRL+ and 8K tow but not with unlimited tow or stock. They wrote a tune without MAF for it and it runs great obviously without a check engine light.