Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   Fan shroud blues... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1386324-fan-shroud-blues.html)

thewellman 07-01-2015 11:55 PM

Fan shroud blues...

Howdy men,
I picked up a 96 F250 7.3 several years ago that had no radiator fan shroud, I figured no big deal, what could go wrong? It never even gets up to a good operating temp anyway! My rig idles most of each day for the Ac and heater (field office).
Long story longer, I've smegged 2 AC compressors in a 5 or 6 year span due to low/no air flow over my condenser, you can cook fajitas on the condenser when at idle. I added a new fan clutch, and it wont hold a feather against the condenser at idle. The last compressor died real hard and pumped the black death sludge full circle. That orifice tube looked like you dug it out of the bottom of a parts washer.
Rebuilt the AC 100% this time (evap coil even!) now I'm going to try it the right way with a good shroud, maybe even make some packers between the cond. and the rad. and force all that air in directly through the condenser.I called around to find a good junk one, no luck. I called parts places (even my fordhouse), and the shroud is dis-continued, no longer available.
Yall ever hear of a cross over shroud to fit? Maybe off the big V8 gasser? Any yall change to electric or pull your fans off and your old shroud is hanging there on a nail in the shed? I apologize if I'm in the wrong forum to be asking about parts, but any advice about getting back on track (stock parts) I'd appreciate.
Happy 4th of July to all, Jay

IDMooseMan 07-02-2015 12:11 AM

If you're asking for a part to buy, I'd consider moving this request to the "Parts-Wanted" section.

If you're asking which fan shroud will fit your truck, I'd look for the '94.5 - '97 years that have a 7.3L and use that one. There are probably many more that can be used, but I like to keep my junkyard searches simple. I drive a '97 F350, so I look for parts from those vehicles first, then expand my search if needed.

thewellman 07-02-2015 12:30 AM

Thanks for the reply, seems all the 94-97's at any yards I've found are punched out in the front, no shrouds. I was asking to see if anyone's ever seen another year or gasser ford that will cross fit, all the parts folks I've asked so far say "It's gotta be for the 7.3 diesel, different radiator, etc". I'd hate to have to custom build one though it's doable I guess! Ps, I see the "parts wanted" section, I'll post over there to see if one is out there to purchase, thanks for the tip.

MOOSE_MACHINE 07-02-2015 09:21 AM

There is a difference in radiators. The diesels use a different core support as well.

thewellman 07-02-2015 10:35 AM

Thanks Moose, that's good to confirm not much chance of a direct crossfit from a ford gas eng. May could to some good retro-fittin though!

thewellman 07-02-2015 09:03 PM

Shroud, check!

Got a call back today from a salvage place down in Stonewall, they had the right shroud for a good price. I Installed it this evening, pulled the rad and back flushed it with a high pressure hose (through the fins, gobs of cruds let loose). Hang the shroud, mount the rad, top off fluid, then I packed the sides where there's a gap between the condenser and the radiator with some dense foam rolls/tubes cut to fit real snug.
I tossed my bandana against the condenser while it was idling and it sucked right on there good and held so good air flow even at idle. That cab is chilling man, you could hang meat in there! Till next time!