Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Buy a 2015 off the lot or order a 2016? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1384009-buy-a-2015-off-the-lot-or-order-a-2016-a.html)

SHOpar 06-16-2015 04:43 PM

Buy a 2015 off the lot or order a 2016?

I stopped by the dealer about a month ago and test drove a F350 CC/SB Lariat that was pretty nice and optioned almost how I would order it. In glancing at their inventory today, I noticed it's still no the lot, which surprises me. It got me wondering how much the dealer might be willing to negotiate on it since it's been there almost a month and hasn't moved while the 2016s are starting to show up. Between the potential for negotiation and incentives being available for the 2015s that the 2016s don't qualify for, I'd certainly save some money.

Here is a link to the truck on the dealer's website and here is the window sticker. If I was to order a truck, I'd toss the chrome package and 20" wheels for the 18's and the camper package. I'd also option the dual alternators, 5th wheel and PTO prep, and possibly the factory spray-in bedliner. My color choice would be Magnetic, however the White Platinum on this truck at the dealer looks really good and I think I'd be happy with it. A factory 5th wheel hitch would be nice, but I don't own a 5th wheel and am more likely to buy a camper if I was to replace my current bumper pull.

What do you guys think? Would it be worth trying to negotiate a deal on this 2015 or would I be better off ordering a 2016 to get exactly what I want for a little more money? I'm not in any big rush for a new truck since my trusty 7.3 is running great and does everything I need it to, but I don't want to miss the window for getting this gen body body style before they make the switch to the aluminum ones in 2017.

Just Strokin 06-16-2015 05:49 PM

NADA shows a invoice price of 61,720 prior to any rebates. The dealer might come down below that price.

similar equipped 2016 has invoice price 64,500

NADA pricing for 2016

New 2016 Ford Super Duty F-350 SRW Prices - NADAguides

I say order what you want and not take what they have. Might cost a little more but you will be happier in the long run i think

Thenewboss 06-16-2015 05:55 PM

After switching sales managers twice and me making 3 fake phone calls to my wife, I drove the truck in my signature home for less than "A" plan prices. Haggle with them and don't feel bad about it. No matter how low you get them, they are still making money of the deal. No changes between the model years that I am aware of so I say if you can live with what's on the lot, go for the deal.

SHOpar 06-16-2015 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Thenewboss (Post 15437612)
After switching sales managers twice and me making 3 fake phone calls to my wife, I drove the truck in my signature home for less than "A" plan prices. Haggle with them and don't feel bad about it. No matter how low you get them, they are still making money of the deal.

So true! I experienced this same scenario when I bought my travel trailer and had the dealer near my house price match a dealer 100 miles away. Their "sale" price was $25K and the dealer out of town was advertising $20K for the exact same model. You would have thought I was going to bankrupt their entire business with that one deal by the way the sales person and manager were acting, but I stuck to my guns and an hour or so later I had the trailer I wanted ordered for the price I was willing to pay. :-X22

LabCab 06-16-2015 06:58 PM

It depends on how bad you want a truck this year.... What is the difference after rebates? that $3000 difference could grow by another $4000 for the 2015. If I was in the market I might hold off to see what the 2017 was going to have for new tech and options and then pick up a 16 when the 17s are on the lot. I couldn't wait and ordered a 15 with good rebates exactly like I wanted it.
Decisions, decisions.....
Best of luck.
Pat

pacnorwest 06-18-2015 07:17 PM

The 2015's have been remarkable trucks. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.
It's always possible that there will be undesirable changes in the next model truck.

bigredtruckmi 06-18-2015 07:39 PM

Also remember the incentives might not be there for the 16 model as they are clearing out the 15 model unless you want to wait.:-huh

17 Oaks 06-18-2015 08:09 PM

You can dowload the 2016 specs and brochure etc here:
2016 Ford Super Duty | Download a Brochure | Ford.com

Don't see much change, some different colors, but same same truck by all appearances.

You may just make the call based on out the door price...

Lastwagen 06-18-2015 08:17 PM

It's a tough decision when you have the fever. All I can say is I bought my 2015 last August so I have already enjoyed it for nearly a year and will still be within the model year for another 6 months. JMO but maybe not the most economical way to do it.

Brandon D 06-18-2015 08:46 PM

Seeing as how you are still driving a 7.3, I get the impression that you plan to keep your new truck for quite awhile. Given that I would spend the extra and order exactly what you want. IMO

capt caper 06-19-2015 07:22 AM

I ordered a 2016. Lot's of 2015's that are loaded or not what I wanted. So I ordered one that has fewer options and was able to get the premium care instead of sunroof,etc. that I don't need. Waiting is the key. If you can wait. I wish he had something in stock but he didn't. I will be using the xplan when it comes in.

ruschejj 06-19-2015 08:08 AM

It sounds to me like you're not sure about what you want? The fifth wheel/goose prep and hitch is no small thing and you don't seem to want a fifth wheel so why do you want it?

Dual alts are a confusing thing also, I think the one big one actually gives more power? There's a twist in there I remember reading in a buried post somewhere here....

You would save money on the 15 but you would also save money by refining your option list on an ordered 16. Biggest thing I see is that we need to keep you from joining the white truck club, lol. The 20" wheels are nice but the 18" rides better, I wish the wheel styling on the 18" was better, they just don't look right to me.

Good luck. I'm just trying to clarify your list of options you really want, I don't mean to be rude with my blunt post.

SHOpar 06-19-2015 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Brandon D (Post 15442962)
Seeing as how you are still driving a 7.3, I get the impression that you plan to keep your new truck for quite awhile. Given that I would spend the extra and order exactly what you want. IMO

Thanks for all the input guys. I do plan to keep this truck a long time; probably until I retire, which is at least another 20 years away, so I agree it's better to order exactly what I want.

Since it's going to be such a long-term purchase that will have to cover any type of camping I decide to do for the next decade or so, I'm still having a difficult time choosing the layout of the truck. I prefer the look of short beds, but long beds open up a lot more options as far as slide-in campers go. I also like the super cab on my 7.3 for the shorter length on forest service roads and trails, but a crew cab is more functional and can be used to carry people/dogs/cargo should I go the 5th wheel or slide-in camper route. A dually is out of the question at this point, and if I got a long bed, I would be stuck with just the super cab so it still fits in my garage.

Decisions, decisions. At least I have until November to make up my mind!

LabCab 06-19-2015 03:49 PM

I also live in the Pacific NW and started with a F250 CCSB 4x4 in 2012. It was an awesome truck, the ONLY thing I didn't like about it was the 26 gallon fuel tank and the short bed required more thought in packing the dog crates and everything else I haul. I upgraded to a 2015 F350 CCLB 4x4 late last year and love the larger fuel tank, the added space in the bed and the new turbo and exhaust brake. Both had the camper package, I put air bags on the 250, but have not needed them on the 350. I have not had a problem with either on Forest Service roads, they both turn better than my leaf sprung Excursion.
Best of luck with your decision.
Pat

69cj 06-19-2015 04:13 PM

IMHO the fifth wheel prep is great even if you never use it. It's a great addition to have if you ever sell the truck. If you ever do get a 5er you'll love not having those rails in the bed when hauling misc. items.