Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   S. California Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum103/)
-   -   Mechanic needed for HPOP 'non-serviceable plug' (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1381237-mechanic-needed-for-hpop-non-serviceable-plug.html)

M@ts 05-29-2015 07:30 PM

Mechanic needed for HPOP 'non-serviceable plug'

I need to have the 'non-serviceable' plug on a '02 7.3L HPOP serviced. Change the o-ring and install the plug with the longer threads that Bob (dieselorings.com) sells.

I've called a couple diesel mechanics here in Orange Co. and they don't want to touch it. They all want to replace the HPOP.

Anybody know a good mechanic who will do this? Preferably, Orange Co. but I would go to Inland Empire or LA if necessary.

OldBlackCat 05-30-2015 12:27 AM

wish i could help ya! but i do most all my own work, and just sent my HPOP to terminator engineering for a rebuild, i cant remember if they replace the oem plug with the long thread one....

orng1 05-30-2015 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by OldBlackCat (Post 15395527)
wish i could help ya! but i do most all my own work, and just sent my HPOP to terminator engineering for a rebuild, i cant remember if they replace the oem plug with the long thread one....

What did you have done, I looked over their website and they have a double pump set up?? Looks interesting.

OldBlackCat 05-30-2015 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by orng1 (Post 15396832)
What did you have done, I looked over their website and they have a double pump set up?? Looks interesting.

just a basic T-500, my truck will never see the need for dual pumps.

orng1 05-31-2015 12:07 AM

I'm running a modified injector and a big tune, have always wondered what my hpop was doing. I want to get the gauge for it.

OldBlackCat 05-31-2015 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by orng1 (Post 15397651)
I'm running a modified injector and a big tune, have always wondered what my hpop was doing. I want to get the gauge for it.

do you throw a P1211 soft code if your towing hard or driving aggressively?

my truck used to set it easily while not towing with the diablo sport 80hp tune and what i assume was the original HPOP to the truck at 246k miles, but with the refreshed T-500 HPOP i haven't been able to set the soft code no mater how hard i try...

i don't have a gauge or AE to read the computer on my truck but my mechanic friend has a snap on scanner that will read the computer, and right off idle the ICP pressure ramps up and peaks out around 3000 to 3500psi:-jammin

not to derail the thread but i cant recommend any shops for much of anything, as i do as much wrenching as possible and with my mechanic friend having a 01 7.3 and basically unlimited free use of his snap on scan tool, i do my own diagnostics too.

ALSO to the OP, have the fuel bowl rebuilt while its out, if it has not been rebuilt before... the fuel bowl has to come out to get to the HPOP, and make sure the rubber sleeves that go on the hard fuel lines are replaced no mater what if the bowl is removed.

orng1 05-31-2015 05:13 PM

Yeah I even see that code at idle at times. The truck has run a bit rough and always have the doubt in my head as to if it's the HPOP, a bad injector or the harness to the injectors. Already repaired the harness so I would hope that's still good.

OldBlackCat 05-31-2015 11:46 PM

wowwy at idle?! kinda want to say your HPOP cant keep them injectors fed with oil...

orng1 05-31-2015 11:48 PM

Might also be the sensor, that's why I want to get the hpop gauge. But it's kind of pricey. :(

orng1 05-31-2015 11:50 PM

It runs great though, needs the turbo replaced now but I have that and still getting a few other pieces to get for when I swap it.

OldBlackCat 06-01-2015 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by orng1 (Post 15399972)
Might also be the sensor, that's why I want to get the hpop gauge. But it's kind of pricey. :(

Originally Posted by orng1 (Post 15399976)
It runs great though, needs the turbo replaced now but I have that and still getting a few other pieces to get for when I swap it.

the chapter aint very busy with members, but maybe do a shout out in the 7.3 forums to see if someone local to you have a scan tool and a little time....

djed 06-01-2015 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by OldBlackCat (Post 15400029)
the chapter aint very busy with members, but maybe do a shout out in the 7.3 forums to see if someone local to you have a scan tool and a little time....

Good idea! Good luck.

David

Lambert01 06-01-2015 08:33 AM

I live in the Pasadena area and have not found a good mechanic. I have heard good things about Domestic Diesel & Auto Service ? Chino, CA 91710

M@ts 06-02-2015 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by OldBlackCat (Post 15398719)
not to derail the thread but i cant recommend any shops for much of anything, as i do as much wrenching as possible and with my mechanic friend having a 01 7.3 and basically unlimited free use of his snap on scan tool, i do my own diagnostics too.

ALSO to the OP, have the fuel bowl rebuilt while its out, if it has not been rebuilt before... the fuel bowl has to come out to get to the HPOP, and make sure the rubber sleeves that go on the hard fuel lines are replaced no mater what if the bowl is removed.

I hope I don't get shunned for saying this, but what I'm about to say makes me the odd man out here on FTE. I don't like to spend my free time turning wrenches.

I change my oil and filters, do brakes and that's about it. I'd just as soon pay someone to turn the wrenches for me and I'll do stuff I enjoy.

Originally Posted by Lambert01 (Post 15400529)
I live in the Pasadena area and have not found a good mechanic. I have heard good things about Domestic Diesel & Auto Service ? Chino, CA 91710

That's where I'll end up taking it. I know Matt from both Bud's and Diesel Powerhouse so I plan to follow him to Domestic.

OldBlackCat, should I buy a fuel bowl reseal kit from Bob at Dieselorings to give to Domestic when I have the HPOP done, or do you think they will they have everything needed?

OldBlackCat 06-02-2015 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by M@ts (Post 15405383)
I hope I don't get shunned for saying this, but what I'm about to say makes me the odd man out here on FTE. I don't like to spend my free time turning wrenches.

I change my oil and filters, do brakes and that's about it. I'd just as soon pay someone to turn the wrenches for me and I'll do stuff I enjoy.

i wont judge you! im not very passionate about most things, but i feel the self pride of being able to tackle heavy auto repair for your average person is a dieing art.... but thats just me. i know a hand full of people that checking the air pressure or changing a flat is magic.:-X15 plus shop labor adds up fast!!!

Originally Posted by M@ts (Post 15405383)
OldBlackCat, should I buy a fuel bowl reseal kit from Bob at Dieselorings to give to Domestic when I have the HPOP done, or do you think they will they have everything needed?

if the diesel shop is worth there weight in diesel fuel they should know what they need to do, without the customer informing them. i doubt they would stock the kit, but should know where to order parts from....

i just know the sleeves are one time use, and since the whole damn bowl has to come out to take the HPOP out you just as well re seal it.