Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   Help me find a F-100 78/79 sidestep/flare Im a noobie.... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1379710-help-me-find-a-f-100-78-79-sidestep-flare-im-a-noobie.html)

mcangelo4 05-21-2015 06:54 AM

Thanks for feedback Privateer! (Do you have P-Boat?)

I know shes ugly but being that this is my first classic truck I would like to start with something sub $2500...Seems like after my phone convo with Rich this vehicle is a PASS. There arent many of these particular vehicles for sale in my area. I appreciate it if anyone know any 78,79s f100 styleside in 8 hour radius of NYC.

TeachNlive4ever 05-21-2015 09:03 AM

First truck is a $500 truck. Too much wrong and almost not enough there to make right. It's listed with as a 79, but has a 78 grill. (above is merely my opinion, I'd stay away from it)
2nd truck looks good...
A lot of time and money spent. The first red flag to ME, is the rattle can paint on the engine AND THE REST OF THE PARTS. Oversray on brackets, hoses and distributor etc.
500 miles it shouldn't have needed a freshen up.
Body lines dont all match up, but do-able. 35-4 grand truck in my opinion. The guy did spend some time on it tho. Another rattle can resto. :)

mcangelo4 05-21-2015 09:27 AM

Ok I will stay away from trucks after these remarks I apprreciate it! The hunt continues!

Question on these years and model what are overall dimensions of truck? Have 2 garages and want to fit in the smaller one..Cant find on GOOGLE :(

Overall L W H?

mcangelo4 05-21-2015 09:42 AM

Anyone have any leads on these trucks on East Coast happy to pay a small finders fee so please keep me in mind....

tjac 05-21-2015 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by mcangelo4 (Post 15372740)
Anyone have any leads on these trucks on East Coast happy to pay a small finders fee so please keep me in mind....

What is it you want? 78 or 79 f100? It's gotta be one of those?

Manual or automatic? any other requirements?

If you're gonna be transporting it, the clutch is out on this one, and there might be a deal to be had: http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/5009733922.html

privateer, eh 05-21-2015 01:47 PM

No Pboats, I leave that to my neighbour. Be careful about the words rebuilt motor, sometimes its just a ring, bearing and gasket kit put into a backyard washed motor. The second truck sounds like that. Eastern trucks are usually well rotted so triple check your cab. As for front clips, my 75 Camper special has a 79 f350 front end on it round lights and all. Slow down with the urge to buy a truck right now, itll show up when you look at a truck and will cost you $$. I'm sitting on a deal for a f450 parts truck, mechanically its sound but its so rusted the Mot/Dot will want to inspect it as soon as they see it. Truck is worth 1200 but I'll pay 800 or walk away. Have other projects to get done so I'm in no hurry to spend money. Keep looking theres a truck out there for you, 77&79 and Hio are good people to follow, my ability to say no and pig headedness are my good points. LOL

mcangelo4 05-21-2015 04:26 PM

Thanks for feedback...I am looking for 78/79 stepside/ flareside only...

Privateer is a famous boat used for commercial fishing in Carolinas...I happen to own a 24 foot version is the reason I ask.

I thank you for telling me not to rush! It looks like I can't really rush this situation especially when there aren't many at all for sale in my area... That being said Im willing to buy one from one of the trusted members on this forum or pay a finders fee for the right one...Looking for something that has alot of potential and is in current diravable condition...Dont want a restoration project..Looking for something I can upgrade to AC if it doesn't have it, Manual floor shift.

GM4WALLS 05-21-2015 06:26 PM

This one is not too far from me. It's an auto, but a lot of upside.

http://ocala.craigslist.org/cto/5023244802.html

ultraranger 05-21-2015 07:13 PM

Don't rush to buy a truck. Be patient and the right one will come along. If you're setting aside money each month to purchase one, the longer you look the more money you will have to spend on a quality truck.

Above all else, think with your head and not your heart. You have to be realistic about what it will take to make any given truck you're looking at into the truck you want it to be, and the amount of money and time it will take to get it there.

A lesser price usually means you're getting a lesser truck. A truck in the $2,500-$3,500 dollar range will generally be one that is in pretty good shape, overall, and a good basis to build from.

You can buy a $1,200.00 dollar truck and easily spend MORE than $3,500.00, just to get it to the level of a better $3,500.00 dollar truck to start with.

I don't have a Dentside. I have a Bumpside ('69 F100) but, the Bumps and Dents are closely related. I searched for 5 months before I found the truck I bought. I looked at a few good trucks and a LOT of dogs in that 5 months but, I think I did pretty good since the body on this truck is very solid. Seller was asking $3,000.00. I gave $2,500.00 for it.

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/...psc29df6c6.jpg

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/...psqxnykhl1.jpg

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/...psvsetjgg8.jpg

Be patient and don't settle for something you aren't going to be satisfied with. When the time is right, you'll find the truck that's right for you. :-X22

mcangelo4 05-21-2015 08:54 PM

Wow from NY shes mighty perty! Im looking and trying to be patient! hehe

GM4Walls- Looking for Black and Manual not to be picky! I can always paint her and deal with the auto eh? She looks like a clean truck from NY. I should be down in Florida end of summer for work but not any time soon....I would ask if you find one black or that off white color what is it called almond? and Manual I would ask if you were able to go see her and give me an opinion for a fee.....

mcangelo4 05-21-2015 09:06 PM

78,79 F100 VS. F150 stepsides....They look so similiar when Im looking online on CL ads...What was the difference? f150s had bigger suspensions? Body was a bit bigger? Sorry for the NOOBIE question just trying to learn!

bkaul 05-21-2015 09:19 PM

The F-150 was launched in 1975 when emissions regulations started applying to light trucks. Ford beefed up the suspension a touch in order to give a higher GVWR to push over the limit so they wouldn't have to run catalytic converters on the F-150. The F-100 was light duty enough to require them. By the mid-80s, emissions standards had started applying to heavier trucks too, so the F-100 was redundant and they stopped carrying two half-ton truck models in their lineup.

In the years when they overlapped, the differences were:
1. Slightly higher GVWR on the F-150 (stiffer springs, etc.)
2. More emissions controls on the F-100

mcangelo4 05-21-2015 09:41 PM

So if im looking at a 78/79 your saying the body is identical specifically for the flaresides/Stepsides?

ultraranger 05-21-2015 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by mcangelo4 (Post 15374612)
So if im looking at a 78/79 your saying the body is identical specifically for the flaresides/Stepsides?

'Flareside' is Ford. 'Stepside' is Chevrolet.

'Fleetside' is Chevrolet. 'Styleside' is Ford.

The '78 Ford F100-F350s were available with optional rectangular head lights (all previous years had round head lights).

In 1979, rectangular head lights were standard issue on the Dentsides.

privateer, eh 05-22-2015 01:19 AM

I don't know if it's my imagination or what but it seems that flaresides are either available as rebuilders or restored, no real middle ground. as usual most of the restored ones need to be rebuilt. Hate to say this but I never really liked the look of the box, then again it might be because I prefer mid fifties and older stepsides.
Got the name Privateer from a British lady at an auction, I was picking on a couple of lovebirds who made the mistake of bidding on a dinning room suite that I wanted for a friend of mine. Ran up the bids until they were paying retail then cut and ran, the people she was with knew what I was up to and clued her in. " My god, your a Privateer" she said. Was my own purchasing agent buying and selling commercial and residential furniture for 17 years. Have no choice but to be heartless when buying do to the fact that you keep spending money on your purchase until you sell it. Warehouse was my bank account. Heard the story about the boat somewhere before, forgot about it til you mentioned it. Up here the only boat we know about is the Bluenose 2, it's on our dime so I guess you could say I got a yacht in my pocket.
As mentioned before, keep looking and keep saving you'll find your truck.