Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Shipping/payment help (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1379292-shipping-payment-help.html)

purplewg 05-18-2015 06:51 AM

Shipping/payment help

I am about to pull the trigger on purchasing a 52 F1. I need to have it shipped to me. I know there are lot of shippers out there. Any personal experiences with good or bad ones?

The second question is how do I pay so that I am protected and the seller is also? I don't want to send money without some sort of security I will get the truck.

I have no experience in this long distance buying. Thanks

GreatNorthWoods 05-18-2015 07:04 AM

I have used Exotic Transport with good results. :)

dadgonebroke 05-18-2015 08:25 AM

I had good luck with Uship- Detroit to Kansas- $900. The more common the route- the less expensive the price. I was off the beaten path so fewer shippers wanted my job.

52 Merc 05-18-2015 08:55 AM

imo, the best way to pay is through your own banks. If everyone is real, it's easy and safe. I sold an engine block and parts to a guy in England once. We emailed back and forth the details, but I went to my bank, opened a separate account for safety, and had the buyer wire transfer the funds from his bank to my bank into that account. There are wire transfer fees the wire company charges both parties, so be prepared for that. That takes the scam part from the money side, at least. Your next hope is the truck is real and what you expect. If it's a lot of money, it may be best to take a couple days and a plane ticket to see it for real, so there's no expensive surprises along the way. You can pay and collect title in person and then arrange shipping.

purplewg 05-18-2015 09:53 AM

Yeah, shipping is really the least of my worries. I want pay the man but I also want to make sure I receive something for my money. lol

I bought a tractor years ago and wired the money but I think the bank on the other end did not release the funds until he presented them with a bill of sale (no title on tractors).

raytasch 05-18-2015 11:41 AM

If you ship through a broker, the broker will want upfront credit card. The carrier will want paid, cash in full.

kevin1gonzalez 05-18-2015 08:12 PM

Just bought a 54' from Portland and im in Miami. I used Escrow.com- middle man= wont release funds until I receive title, bill of sale and truck.

FortyNiner 05-18-2015 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by kevin1gonzalez (Post 15365573)
Just bought a 54' from Portland and im in Miami. I used Escrow.com- middle man= wont release funds until I receive title, bill of sale and truck.

That's a great solution.

purplewg 05-19-2015 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by kevin1gonzalez (Post 15365573)

I had looked into this. I think I calculated escrow.com fee's were going to be around $200. I was just curious as to what others have done. Thanks

52 Merc 05-19-2015 07:47 AM

What happens to the seller's money if he performed his part, but buyer says he didn't receive goods and papers? What's the recourse?

DR Smith 05-19-2015 07:51 AM

You didn't say where the truck is located . This is a great bunch on this site , just ask someone to go check it out for you . That way you will have a better ideal what you are paying for .

Stormin123 05-19-2015 02:28 PM

I had my truck shipped by Dependable Auto Shippers from WI to CT; cost about $1300.00. They cost more than the others however they only use their own trucks.

farmboy555 05-19-2015 04:11 PM

Where is it located?

pbsdaddy 05-19-2015 05:19 PM

When I was looking I found it cheaper to rent a Uhaul car carrier and drive from Central Delaware to Miami. I went on line, to one of the brokers, and posted I wanted a carrier. I think I received 10 email response in 15 minutes. They ran from about $475 to $700 for the same trip.
Uhaul was $50 a day and fuel was about $250 for the round trip. The obvious and, in the end, most cost effective part of the transaction was that I saw it before I bought it. Yes, I still made the trip, but I would have done so anyway. So ultimately, I saved the cost of an extra trip to Miami.
Bottom line, just google car carriers and several brokers will turn up. Enter your info and you'll be flooded with bids. Just be certain what they pickup and deliver is what you want. They won't make refunds for your errors.

purplewg 05-26-2015 06:44 AM

Well, the deal fell through. A guy who lived in the same town was going to look at it for me. He called but never got hold of the seller. Next thing I know the seller says he is having it worked on because it was not as he advertised it (running and drivable). I can appreciate that but he refunded my deposit and I think he plans to relist it once it is fixed and will give me first option? I am a little disappointed as I have been working this deal for over a month.