Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   the saga of the rear brake line (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1376698-the-saga-of-the-rear-brake-line.html)

superdave02f552 05-02-2015 09:39 AM

the saga of the rear brake line

hi guys
i have not been on here much working a lot and family stuff going on.

all has been well with the road whale until last night. i was following a little
closer to someone than normal and i could not see ahead of him like i normally like to just in case he is not paying attention. well he was not and jacked on the brakes and swerved left and i was faced with a stack of cars stopped in front of me. ***** pound on the brakes and the pedal hit the floor so i went left downshifted feathered what i had left and go it stopped. :-X22

so that being said i blew a brake line to the rear, not the easy one that consists of making a new one and im done nope not for me it is the one that comes from the abs unit and is half stainless braid and half tube. ford says not available any more and i dont really want to put a junk yard brake line on.

has anyone ran into this yet and found a solution?

Apocalypse 05-02-2015 09:45 AM

So no injuries? No damage to the vehicles? Just great driving skills putting the truck where it needed to be safely? This is for you:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...bd8812edd3.jpg

superdave02f552 05-02-2015 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Apocalypse (Post 15321962)
So no injuries? No damage to the vehicles? Just great driving skills putting the truck where it needed to be safely? This is for you:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...bd8812edd3.jpg

thank you sir

correct nothing bad other than the line blowing.

i will say there is no way to describe how i felt when a 7600 lb truck had very very limited brakes going 55 mph and limited space to do something about it

Snowseeker 05-02-2015 10:18 AM

What sort of fitting goes into the abs unit? Personally I would just make up a new line out of nicopp and hard line it from the abs unit to the rear axle rubber.

Also if that one went I would be checking over the others and probably do them all.

If the fitting in the abs unit is not a flare I would possibly look into -AN fittings and braided line to a _an to flare fitting and then the hard line from there back. Everything you need is out there, just have to pull the parts you have now and determine what fittings you need to get going.

superdave02f552 05-02-2015 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Snowseeker (Post 15322039)
What sort of fitting goes into the abs unit? Personally I would just make up a new line out of nicopp and hard line it from the abs unit to the rear axle rubber.

Also if that one went I would be checking over the others and probably do them all.

If the fitting in the abs unit is not a flare I would possibly look into -AN fittings and braided line to a _an to flare fitting and then the hard line from there back. Everything you need is out there, just have to pull the parts you have now and determine what fittings you need to get going.

im picking up what your laying down.

im not sure whats there i have a driveway full of things that are not mine here for repairs so i cannot even get it close to the shop to tear down.

i just threw it out there to see if the X family had run into this.

how ever i repair it will be photographed and added here

Snowseeker 05-02-2015 11:24 AM

I would just follow the line up to the abs and pull that fitting out and see what it is. Should be able to do that away from the shop. That way you know what the fitting is and can get some parts on the way.

superdave02f552 05-02-2015 12:01 PM

ok put the fire out

i should know better than to talk to any parts department other than tousley. Angie came through for me again

here is the part # for the line needed 3C3Z-2B523-AB

I will finish up like snowseeker said

i will list what i use and photograph as needed

Snowseeker 05-02-2015 01:45 PM

Good deal! Will watch for pics!

sessland 05-03-2015 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by superdave02f552 (Post 15322196)
ok put the fire out

i should know better than to talk to any parts department other than tousley. Angie came through for me again

here is the part # for the line needed 3C3Z-2B523-AB

I will finish up like snowseeker said

i will list what i use and photograph as needed

Good info.

When I redid my rear brake line I was concerned that I was going to have to change this out also. I got lucky and managed to clean up the connection well enough to reuse it.

03V10Excursion 05-08-2015 10:25 PM

I've ran across this before.

Do it old school. Find what size line, take the fitting out and you can make the flare. Bubble or double flare. Reuse the factory fitting. The ABS units tend to run goofy fittings. Parts stores will generally have an adapter line about 6" long for this reason. I just cut the line off and get the old line out of the fitting and reuse it.

What I've done because I had to have the truck... I made it the old school way. Where the stainless should have been I made a coil of 4 coils around a pop can, and tied back into the line.

Make sense?

Or if you want to return it to stock...
Being your in MN you could go down to Brake and Equipment in Minneapolis and they will remake you a stainless line however you'd like it. Bring the old line from the ABS unit to where you feel you can cut it and splice it. They will build it on site for you in about 30min.
Phone number 612-378-1250

Josh

Xcursion88 05-09-2015 10:14 AM

Had similar happen last year. On top of mountain towing boat.

Sure sucks.

Mine split right about under where your feet are in the cab. It happened when I got the boat out of the lake,pulled up to strap it up...pushed pedal and oh no. Wtf. So there I am, midnight line split...almost no braking to speak off. So I left it sit until I can fix this. right? Nope. Of course not. I strategically plan the attack. LOL. I knew I would be ok until the decent off mountain. I pull over right before ...Yep ..4 lo. Hubs unlocked. The highest it made was 12 mph. Worked liked we all have drawn it up. Haha!!!

superdave02f552 05-11-2015 11:19 PM

Mine blew up by the steering box

I'm patiently waiting for parts

Snowseeker 05-12-2015 08:05 AM

Coat it up good when you get it and it is new yet.

superdave02f552 05-12-2015 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Snowseeker (Post 15347524)
Coat it up good when you get it and it is new yet.

It is pvc coated from ford👍👍👍👍

TowRig 05-12-2015 09:41 PM

I was just about to post the very same question. Is this the line you are talking about Superdave?
http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/...ds/image_4.jpg

And does the rotted spot look like the middle line in this picture where the braiding meets the solid line?
http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/...ds/image_5.jpg

I just replaced the entire rear line (except for the braided line) to the calipers after it rotted through half way back. Now I just need to replace the fancy braided line before it blows too. I just want to verify the P/N above is for this tube.

Of course, it would have been nice to do the whole job at once, but I needed the truck back together quick and I didn't have time to track this part down at the time. Now it's time to finish the job.

Thanks.