Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   trailer brake (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1374712-trailer-brake.html)

Homerunking2394 04-20-2015 05:18 PM

trailer brake

My truck does not have a trailer brake controller from factory. how do i go about getting one and installing it?

NYCruiser 04-20-2015 06:00 PM

You can probably just buy the OEM one from Ford. It should come with instructions. What year/model truck do you have? You may need a flash from the dealer once its installed.

ltlblutrk 04-20-2015 07:31 PM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...c113c95ea3.jpg

Prodigy P2

I just took a Prodigy P2 unit out of my Grand Cherokee as my new truck came with OE one. If you're savvy you can find a new one for $115. Plus you'll need the plug and play harness $10-15, the only way to go. If you don't go OE make me an offer and I'll ship you this lightly used unit with a mount, no harness. I would buy this unit again if that's worth anything.

moymurfs 04-20-2015 09:14 PM

It's a little more involved as you will also need the correct master cylinder for that setup.

ltlblutrk 04-20-2015 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by moymurfs (Post 15288364)
It's a little more involved as you will also need the correct master cylinder for that setup.

Clarify: for the Ford OE setup?

No special requirement for the Prodigy unit and most vehicles like this will have the plug under the dash to plug into.

Homerunking2394 04-20-2015 10:08 PM

I have a 2015 f250 xl with trailer towing package

NYCruiser 04-20-2015 10:18 PM

How did you get a trailer tow package that didn't come with the brake controller? Mine came with it and I thought it was part of the tow package.
I'm sure its a plug and play install, but will need a flash from the dealer to tell the truck that its there so you can set the brake parameters in the dash menu.

Homerunking2394 04-20-2015 11:18 PM

The truck came with the towing mirrors, hitch, connectors but no brake controller

NYCruiser 04-21-2015 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Homerunking2394 (Post 15288773)
The truck came with the towing mirrors, hitch, connectors but no brake controller

I wonder what they were thinking when they spec'd it that way. I can't imagine what someone would tow that's big enough to need the tow mirrors and not need the brake controller.

CollinsCD 04-21-2015 05:50 AM

I would just go with an after market controller that mounts under the dash. Very simple to install and I have done this on many older trucks.

Homerunking2394 04-21-2015 06:46 AM

Would i still need to flash the pcm

Pocket 04-21-2015 06:53 AM

For some trucks like the XL, trailer brakes are an option.

The factory trailer brake controller can be added on. Part #: FC3Z-19H332-BA. It includes the coin tray that mounts in the blank spot.

That kit will require the dealer turn on the system with IDS. The good part is you can use this as the factory system, meaning it will integrate with the driver information display.

Aftermarket units can also be installed, but they will not integrate with the driver information display.

moymurfs 04-21-2015 08:48 AM

[QUOTE=ltlblutrk;15288586]Clarify: for the Ford OE setup?

Yes, see if this link works:

FordParts.com Super Duty#Search

Well, the link gets you to the page to search from. OP said he has a 15 f250 xl. Type that in and go to Brakes then to Hydraulic Systems or whatever.
You can see there are two different master cylinders. One is relatively basic (no tsc etc) the other is for the trailer (works with the factory gain module) and roll stability control.
It's not just specific to towing, it covers that other fancy schmancy stuff new trucks can come with that integrate the braking systems. BUT the real question is: Is the XL with no controller wired (under the hood) for a towing system... I'm sure he has the plugs in the dash for the module but you would still need the factory wiring for the master cylinder because they all communicate with each other.

Also, the trailer brake controller is a separate option on the 2015s for $270.

BOTTOM LINE..IMO... Like it's been stated, go get the aftermarket electric controller. No, it's not going to look stock, but it's going to accomplish the same result for a lot less money and aggravation.

NYCruiser 04-21-2015 09:07 PM

OP should check his window sticker. Across the top there is a list of different features. Under "Functional" it should list "Trailer Tow Package" and "Trailer Sway Control". If it lists both of these things he can just pop in a factory controller and get it flashed to work by his dealer or anyone with an IDS programmer.

ltlblutrk 04-21-2015 09:08 PM

I will say that I used the integrated towing software for the first time this past Sunday and really like what it offered. Do you need it, no, but if I could get it by using thee OE controller I would do it for sure.