Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Need Advice for my 53 F250 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1374329-need-advice-for-my-53-f250.html)

Agrajag 04-18-2015 02:04 PM

Need Advice for my 53 F250

I just want to get this truck going and I was wondering what advice the experienced folk here could give me.

The flathead that was in it needs to be overhauled and that's just an expensive project all the way around. The body itself is in pretty good shape, a little bit of rust here and there, but overall great, and the frame is just a rusty frame. I'll take care of all that, but my first goal is just to get it on the road and enjoy it.

Here's the crazy thing, I actually want to keep the unassisted manual steering, and the brakes too. I don't care if it's not geared to go faster than 50mph either. I don't have to be able to take it on the highway to be happy with my truck. I would also absolutely prefer to keep it manual transmission as well.

What motor can anyone advise that I drop in there to keep this thing pretty much basic? I really don't care about power, I'm not looking for a race car, but rather an old truck, so a six or four cylinder with decent torque would be fine for me.

ALBUQ F-1 04-18-2015 02:16 PM

Well, a thorough rebuild on a flat V8 costs $2500 +/-. It's within a couple hundred of what it costs on a SBF or SBC, if you compare apples to apples. No adapters, new engine supports, re-wiring, new exhaust, etc. makes it overall cheaper. I wouldn't dismiss the possibility of going that way.

Steve49841 04-18-2015 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Agrajag (Post 15281730)
I just want to get this truck going and I was wondering what advice the experienced folk here could give me.

The flathead that was in it needs to be overhauled and that's just an expensive project all the way around. The body itself is in pretty good shape, a little bit of rust here and there, but overall great, and the frame is just a rusty frame. I'll take care of all that, but my first goal is just to get it on the road and enjoy it.

Here's the crazy thing, I actually want to keep the unassisted manual steering, and the brakes too. I don't care if it's not geared to go faster than 50mph either. I don't have to be able to take it on the highway to be happy with my truck. I would also absolutely prefer to keep it manual transmission as well.

What motor can anyone advise that I drop in there to keep this thing pretty much basic? I really don't care about power, I'm not looking for a race car, but rather an old truck, so a six or four cylinder with decent torque would be fine for me.

You and I have the same truck and almost the same situation except in my case the previous owner had already installed a 302 4 speed and rewired everything for 12 volts. It sounds like you are just trying to make a driver out of your truck so if there's anyway to use the motor you have (or replace it with a similar motor) you will be ahead of the game. There is no such thing as dropping, stuffing, sticking or slipping a later model motor into your truck, it takes a lot of time and money.

bjmayberry2 04-19-2015 11:15 AM

Not sure but Maybe you could get a straight 6 of the same era. It may mate up to your current transmission. There's always someone pulling a good running 6 to modernize their power train. If your lucky you might even be able to get the clutch assemly and bellhousing too.

Agrajag 04-21-2015 01:36 PM

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.