Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   I'm interest in biodiesel , would anyone know about that ???? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1370164-im-interest-in-biodiesel-would-anyone-know-about-that.html)

trevorrules 03-26-2015 03:26 PM

I'm interest in biodiesel , would anyone know about that ????

I have a 1995 Powerstroke and I wanting to run biodiesel in it but I have very little knowledge about it , would anyone have any suggestions about it ? Or how I would go about doing it ????

Milpool 03-26-2015 07:53 PM

A handful of years ago I looked into it a little when I had an 84 Benz diesel wagon. The chemical process for making it made me shy away from it. That and the idea of driving around for waste veg oil.

http://www.make-biodiesel.org/Featur...tutorials.html - some reading materials

krooser 03-27-2015 02:54 AM

Are you talking about buying bio-diesel at the pump or making your own? There were a few local guys doing their own around here years ago but I think they have all sold their equipment to make it… one guy told me it was just too much hassle for him...

trevorrules 03-27-2015 06:52 AM

Well I want to see how my truck runs on it before investing money into it , I have no idea of knowing what the side effects aren't and long terms are with running biodiesel

rla2005 03-27-2015 03:55 PM

Let me google that for you

I had to do it...}>

krooser 04-01-2015 04:43 AM

I used bio-diesel in my big trucks whenever I found at a good price. Some states subsidize the pump price… I used it a lot in IL and MN where it was usually about 5 cents less than dino fuel at the pump… that was usually a 10% blend. It always worked fine in my Cat engines….

trevorrules 04-07-2015 01:25 PM

I was told that like cooking oils and such will draw a lot of moisture and eventually ruin stuff , is that true ?

bbcoupe 04-07-2015 01:38 PM

I have ran 100% bio in my 99 and 03 powerstroke with no issues. You need to start small, like 20% bio and 80% diesel, and then increase the blend a little at a time. biodiesel will clean all the crap that diesel has left behind over the years so if you go to strong to fast you will plug filters or worse. The only thing I noticed with running B100 was quieter running engine. Lubricity is increased and exhaust smells better. Yes bio will absorb moisture if you leave it lay around in an open container. That moisture will also fall to the bottom though. That's just my .02

trevorrules 04-07-2015 01:44 PM

Ok thanks , what thing could I use to turn cooking oil into clean fuel ? Is there a machine to do this with?

DrZoom 04-07-2015 01:47 PM

I'm a chemist....the chemical process seems really straight forward to me once you have the equipment set up, but I'm retarded when it comes to wiring/plumbing so I haven't tried making the equipment. If I remember correctly, it is simply a matter of mixing oil with the correct amount of sodium hydroxide (Lye) and heating it. The oil separates into two phases (like oil & water). You put one phase in your truck, the other is discarded.

Mother earth news did an article on how to convert an old water heater into a bio-diesel maker. I'd love to see a rig that somebody made on here.

DrZoom 04-07-2015 01:50 PM

How to Build a Single Tank Biodiesel Processor: 4 Steps

Apparently the third ingredient is alcohol. A little for the diesel, a little for the mechanic :-drink

trevorrules 04-07-2015 01:52 PM

Is it possible to make your own like fuel converter , iv seen it done a while ago on tv with Stacey daivece show

trevorrules 04-07-2015 01:57 PM

Is there a chart to know how much chemicals to add to the oil ? And steps to do this?

DrZoom 04-07-2015 02:18 PM

Biodiesel recipe from Mike Pelly: Journey to Forever

Let me know if you have any questions.

bbcoupe 04-07-2015 02:44 PM

What specific questions do you have. Yes there are different ratios you can use. it depends on the ffa and the moisture content of the oil. The higher the ffa, the more caustic you are going to use to react it. Check out the links everyone has put on here and PM me if you have any more questions. in the past 8 years I've produced about 40 million gallons.