Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Modular V10 (6.8l) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum49/)
-   -   Humor me some thoughts on oil viscosity (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1370063-humor-me-some-thoughts-on-oil-viscosity.html)

Mark Kovalsky 03-26-2015 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by truckfella (Post 15211894)
Which brings me to the subject of this thread. Is 5w-20 truly adequate for these conditions?

Yes it is.

But I think they also make their recommendations with CAFE/energy efficiency as a factor.

The V10 is not included in the corporate CAFE. Only under 8500 pound GVW trucks are rated under CAFE. There is no official MPG rating for any V10 powered Ford.

So, what say you? Does anyone here run heavier weight conventional oil (non-synthetic) in the summer months? 10W-30, for example?

I used to own a repair shop. I've seen modular engines come in that were totally worn out from running heavier oils. There are clearances in the modular that are not large enough to flow enough of thicker oils, so if you run a thicker oil some parts of the engine won't get enough oil.

Originally Posted by hodge5 (Post 15212200)
Ford designed, and upholds a warranty, around an engine designed to run a certain viscosity. You are welcome to do what you chose, because it's your truck and your money. Me, I trust the engineers. If they engineered that engine, with tight tolerences and specific oil needs, to use a certain weight, then I go with that. I would rather change my oil more frequently than change the viscosity and do long-term damage because oil didn't flow properly to where it was supposed to.

Exactly.

Originally Posted by Im50fast (Post 15212277)
Hodge,
Only one aspect of my thoughts somewhat misalign- Ford engineers have a slightly different set of values/goals than I do. Two things:
1: ford engineers care about gaining a half of a MPG. I don't give a crap
2: ford engineers probably have a goal of about 100,000 to 150,000 miles of life. My truck is well beyond that.

No, not so much on the V10. There is no MPG rating on this engine, so gaining a half of a MPG gains them nothing.

The design life of the engine is WAY beyond 150,000 miles.

Originally Posted by Im50fast (Post 15212277)
But again; I strongly agree with you. And if my van had low mileage, and if I had the means to get a replacement van at the 100,000 point- I would use 5W20 without concern.

I had a V10 that I used to tow 9,100 pounds. I sold it at 150,000 miles and I had no concern using conventional 5W20 oil.

Originally Posted by truckfella (Post 15212638)
As for the comments about "Ford designed this engine, they must know what they're doing"...Ford engineers also worked on and/or signed off on the 6.0 diesel engine design.

That's not true. Ford did NOT design this engine, nor did they sign off on the design. They signed off on the performance of the engine. International owned the design and sold it to Ford as a complete assembly.

And I think most anyone who truly knows the engine innards would agree that particular power plant had some inherent design flaws. So, no, I don't always trust that the engineers knew what they were doing or made correct decisions all the time.

Some design flaws? If you look up design flaw in the dictionary there is a picture of the 6.0L. The engineers knew about the flaws, upper manglement decided to push on regardless.

Im50fast: those 2 points are very valid. Ford probably even cares about .1mpg. Or maybe even .05mpg. I'm with you - I don't much give a crap. Especially when I'm towing.

They sure do, but only on under 8500 pound GVWR vehicles. It doesn't matter at all for heavier vehicles, such as any Ford with a V10.

rvpuller 03-26-2015 07:27 PM

I seem to have this internal debate about this time every year, as spring and summer are approaching.

My V10 is used primarily in the summer months as a tow vehicle. And summers in my neck of the woods can see ambient temps in excess of 100' during July and August. When I'm climbing mountain passes, my engine can/will run in excess of 4000rpm for 5-10 minutes hauling a combined vehicle weight of ~15k (truck, camper, and trailer total). I have an OBD-II bluetooth adapter and Torque app on my phone. I've seen coolant temps climb to 230' during these climbs. (I can't "see" oil temp with the app)

Which brings me to the subject of this thread. Is 5w-20 truly adequate for these conditions? Yeah, yeah - I know Ford recommends this particular viscosity. But I think they also make their recommendations with CAFE/energy efficiency as a factor. And perhaps, just perhaps, they may be cheating us that work out engines hard in the summer months.

So, what say you? Does anyone here run heavier weight conventional oil (non-synthetic) in the summer months? 10W-30, for example?

Just curious what some of the experts here have to say. Thanks all.

I'm not a expert but I ran both 5W-30 and 5W-20 in both of my V10 motors and I couldn't tell any difference on how the oil looked or smelled when changed. Most of the time I had both of them I ran Mobil 1 with no change in usage, sometimes 5-20 wasn't on the shelf so used the 5-30. I pulled my 16K trailer over Berthhoud Pass and Eisenhower pass more times than I care to count and that truck had 130K on it when I traded and the motor showed no ill affects from the light oil, the transmission was the reason I changed trucks. My other V10 was my work truck and last time I talked to the guy I sold it to it had 275K and still going strong.

When I bought my 6.2 I decided to just run the Ford blend and because we are almost never at our homebase I just have Ford change it when I'm close to a Fast Lane. I think one of the biggest reasons for the light oil is the overhead cams that need oil fast at startup and the newer motors have closer tolerances so heavy oil is no longer needed and may cause harm over time.

Denny

98ClubWagon 03-26-2015 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Im50fast (Post 15214057)
Calm down buddy: we will all gladly welcome you here as long as you keep the Amsoil comments to a low null.

And please realize that Krewat is the moderator so it is counterproductive to sass him.

May I please be so bold as to suggest that Krewat will not reply/respond as long as you behave accordingly.

You have to admit that Amsoil's following is somewhat cult like...
And your recent comments (on multiple posts) ain't fooling anyone: it's clear that you are "backhandedly" complimenting the product you sell.

Personally I like Valvoline/Mobil1 synthetic, but I literally don't care if anyone else buys it. Your posts make it pretty clear that you have "a horse in the race".

Please, John, edit or delete your posts to Krewat and I'll also delete this one.

Let's all play nice.

Well, I'd love to 'play nice', but it's actually YOU that started this whole thing, and I really don't appreciate the comments by you, and mr moderator that I'm pushing Amsoil.

All I was doing, was trying to answer the mans question, about viscosity. Yes, I did mention the name Amsoil, only to say that it was one of their people that I talked to during one of their conventions when the 5W-20 came out, and that was his answer. But, you somehow twisted that into me 'pushing' Amsoil, which I wasn't! And, I was being sincere, when I was trying to explain to the man that synthetics (of most group V brands) are moleculary superior to dino based oils, in that their structure of molecules are more evenly based, and because of that, can handle the high heat, low temperature performance better than dino oils. YOU are the one who said I was a 'salesman', and called it 'magic bean' oil! If anyone should be apologizing on this thread, then it should be YOU!

So, frankly, if you would have kept your mouth shut, none of this would have happened! It just makes my blood boil, when I get accused of something that I WASN'T TRYING TO DO!!!!!!!!!!

And, mr moderator's comments didn't help, either! Obviously, he doesn't know how to read, either! So, I'll be waiting for my apologies whenever they come!

So, maybe it should be BOTH OF YOU, that keep the Amsoil comments to yourself, as obviously, I wasn't PUSHING ANYTHING!

And, no, I won't be deleting any comments from this thread, as again I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WRONG! Take me off of this whole forum, if you want! I haven't been on here in so long, that I actually forgot my username! I just got on here, to ask a question about my van running rough, and happened to see this thread, and again, I WAS JUST TRYING TO HELP! God forbid I should ever try that again!!

John

98ClubWagon 03-26-2015 08:22 PM

Oh yea, "BUDDY"!

rdinmv 03-26-2015 10:51 PM

I've seen v10 airport shuttle vans run 600-700k with 5-20 dino oil at 5k intervals and still running great so no problem. Theres a guy out there with a 5.4 in a 97 van that finally died at 1,200,000 miles.Home

heres another

Mod motors rock.

truckfella 03-26-2015 10:53 PM

Mark, great info. Thanks for your input.

Im50fast 03-27-2015 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by 98ClubWagon (Post 15214287)
Well, I'd love to 'play nice', but it's actually YOU that started this whole thing, and I really don't appreciate the comments by you, and mr moderator that I'm pushing Amsoil.

All I was doing, was trying to answer the mans question, about viscosity. Yes, I did mention the name Amsoil, only to say that it was one of their people that I talked to during one of their conventions when the 5W-20 came out, and that was his answer. But, you somehow twisted that into me 'pushing' Amsoil, which I wasn't! And, I was being sincere, when I was trying to explain to the man that synthetics (of most group V brands) are moleculary superior to dino based oils, in that their structure of molecules are more evenly based, and because of that, can handle the high heat, low temperature performance better than dino oils. YOU are the one who said I was a 'salesman', and called it 'magic bean' oil! If anyone should be apologizing on this thread, then it should be YOU!

So, frankly, if you would have kept your mouth shut, none of this would have happened! It just makes my blood boil, when I get accused of something that I WASN'T TRYING TO DO!!!!!!!!!!

And, mr moderator's comments didn't help, either! Obviously, he doesn't know how to read, either! So, I'll be waiting for my apologies whenever they come!

So, maybe it should be BOTH OF YOU, that keep the Amsoil comments to yourself, as obviously, I wasn't PUSHING ANYTHING!

And, no, I won't be deleting any comments from this thread, as again I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WRONG! Take me off of this whole forum, if you want! I haven't been on here in so long, that I actually forgot my username! I just got on here, to ask a question about my van running rough, and happened to see this thread, and again, I WAS JUST TRYING TO HELP! God forbid I should ever try that again!!

John

Fair enough: my comments about "snake oil salesman" were inappropriate. I'm sorry.

But you need to understand that YOU are the odd man out. You are the ONLY ONE that thinks you are innocent. Krewat mentioned the standing policy about Amsoil people and it's there for a reason. And you were toeing the line. I saw it in your posts here and on the thread about V10 oil consumption.

Please chill out, delete/edit your posts and play nice. You will be WELCOME here if you do.

Harryjt 03-27-2015 05:43 AM

fords order of concerns when designing a new engine design .
1) price of production
2) price of production
3) government requirements
4) longevity of the motor
I switched my v10 to 5w30 . I have noticed my oil consumption has dropped between changes.

98ClubWagon 03-27-2015 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Im50fast (Post 15214902)
Fair enough: my comments about "snake oil salesman" were inappropriate. I'm sorry.

But you need to understand that YOU are the odd man out. You are the ONLY ONE that thinks you are innocent. Krewat mentioned the standing policy about Amsoil people and it's there for a reason. And you were toeing the line. I saw it in your posts here and on the thread about V10 oil consumption.

Please chill out, delete/edit your posts and play nice. You will be WELCOME here if you do.

Again, "buddy", I'm not the one who needs to 'chill out', as like I said above, I didn't do anything wrong, and I wasn't 'toeing any line', I was just trying to share my experience, and knowledge of oil. I really don't care who believes me, because I know I'm right. Again, I really don't care what brand of oil he (or anyone else) uses, and I guess he's a hard core dino oil guy, the way he was talking. That's OK too.

So, I'm not going to edit/delete any posts, as again, I wasn't doing anything wrong. Take me off the forum if you want, I really don't care. Like I said before, I haven't been on in so long, I forgot my username. I guess I'll just go to a different forum, with more friendly people. The only reason why I'm wasting my time on here, is to say that I wasn't in the wrong, and basically you started this whole thing. And, mr moderator hasn't chimed in, so maybe he doesn't know as much about oil as he thinks he does! I guess my almost 30 years of experience, with countless personal stories of how well synthetic oil works, doesn't mean anything!

John

krewat 03-27-2015 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by 98ClubWagon (Post 15212368)
Yes, I've been a dealer for almost 30 years, but I'm not trying to sell you on Amsoil.

I'm a dealer, but I'm not pushing anything. OK This is the standard Amsoil dealer line I've heard for years now. Enough.

Originally Posted by 98ClubWagon (Post 15213826)
So, wise guy, what's your definition of 'boil off'? It isn't where the larger molecules of dino oil burn off, in high heat situations?

Large molecules don't "boil off". Small ones do. You know, the ones that don't need a lot of energy to get hot. The large ones stay behind.

It's called "volatility" and while Amsoil claims to have the lowest NOACK numbers, it's not all that different than the rest.

The following graph is all over the Internet. It's from 2003, and no where does it specify what weight oils were tested. Even synthetic base stock needs to be modified to achieve different viscosities, and depending on the viscosity - and most importantly, the spread been cold and hot (cWh) viscosity, there are varying things mixed with the base stock to get there. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_additive
The following graph is used here to prove a point, not how good Amsoil is }>

https://www.worldsbestoil.ca/Amsoil-...ility_test.gif

--

Back to the subject at hand, if 5W20 is good for V10s.

Yes. It is. I wouldn't hesitate to use 5W30 either, but again, the additives that are used to achieve that spread may be marginally worse overall than just using 5W20 in the first place.

98ClubWagon 03-27-2015 09:12 AM

I'm confused.

So, how does showing that chart prove anything? It kind of looks like you're shooting yourself in the foot! It does show Amsoil as being the lowest (and, by the way, the code ATM designates their 10W-30).

And, my statement that you quoted, was to answer Im50fast's statement that I'm a 'salesman', selling 'magic bean' oil. THAT'S ALL!!! Did I say anything else about that? NO! Did I give my dealer page URL? NO!!

ENOUGH!!!!!

krewat 03-27-2015 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by 98ClubWagon (Post 15215449)
So, how does showing that chart prove anything? It kind of looks like you're shooting yourself in the foot! It does show Amsoil as being the lowest (and, by the way, the code ATM designates their 10W-30).

And, my statement that you quoted, was to answer Im50fast's statement that I'm a 'salesman', selling 'magic bean' oil. THAT'S ALL!!! Did I say anything else about that? NO! Did I give my dealer page URL? NO!!

ENOUGH!!!!!

Actually, it doesn't show anything germane to this discussion about using 5/20 vs. 5/30 or some other weight in a V10.

What I'm pointing out is "volatility".

And I've gone WAY off topic, and I apologize profusely to the original poster.

:-hijacked

Im50fast 03-27-2015 01:11 PM

Back on topic ...

Just in case anyone hasn't read the other thread- "V10 burns oil"

I switched to 5w30 at my last oil change and noticed a reduction in oil consumption. Used to be 1qt per 1,000miles now it's 1qt per 2,000.

So I'm saving about $4/week. And judging by Mark Kovalski's comments I may be better off spending that $4 on the correct oil.

Funny thing though: I have this internal joke that my V10 is "partial-2-cycle" because there is a direct ratio of fuel : oil, of about 320:1 lol. (Every 80gallons it needs 1 quart)

rvpuller 03-27-2015 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Im50fast (Post 15216019)
Just in case anyone hasn't read the other thread- "V10 burns oil"

I switched to 5w30 at my last oil change and noticed a reduction in oil consumption. Used to be 1qt per 1,000miles now it's 1qt per 2,000.

So I'm saving about $4/week. And judging by Mark Kovalski's comments I may be better off spending that $4 on the correct oil.

Funny thing though: I have this internal joke that my V10 is "partial-2-cycle" because there is a direct ratio of fuel : oil, of about 320:1 lol. (Every 80gallons it needs 1 quart)

My 2000 V10 work truck burned a quart every 2K from new and last I heard at 275K it was still using one quart every 2K. It didn't seem to make any difference if it was 5-20 or 5-30, my other V10 used one every 4.5 from new until the day it went to a new home.

Denny

super 6.8 03-27-2015 07:31 PM

Thank you Mark K for your expert opinion. You should write a book or a repair manual or something. I love to read your posts. Charles Probst wrote a book on EECIV back in the early 90's that really got me off to a good start on fuel injected vehicles.

I don't think I would ever consider Amsoil after the other guys rant. What a waste.