Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   New 7.3 Owner Joining The Ranks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1369239-new-7-3-owner-joining-the-ranks.html)

IDI-Charlie 03-21-2015 11:02 PM

New 7.3 Owner Joining The Ranks

Hey all!

Ever since my 6.9 left me, I have been looking for another diesel. Well, after non-stop searching and countless trucks driven, I found the one!

http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/y...746ced6ffe.jpg

http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/y...848800_HDR.jpg

The best part? Shes a bone stock six speed :-jammin

It has 343,000 miles, but so far has ran like a dream (knock on wood). Once I get some time I will be taking her on a mountain run to see what the old girl can take.

Some joking down at the office turned into one of those "Well, ya know..." moments, then into the "Hold on a sec! This could actually work!" situations. Lets just say my roof may be occupied with more than my radio antennas here soon...

http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/y...1ce9ebe46a.jpg

It is hard to describe how much I missed having a crew cab. Will be much more comfortable working out of this than my 91 F150's regular cab!

For now my plans are to keep the truck stock mainly so I can begin a 7.3 Fun Fund. I have long-term plans to put on an exhaust, chip, and possibly an intake.

Oh, I am also considering taking those mirrors off and replacing them with a pair of the towing style mirrors, but I am not sold on the idea.

I am having fun with the truck and enjoying it so far, and that is all that matters, right?! I will try and get some more 'scenic' pictures this week for yall to enjoy aswell!

Baatzy 03-21-2015 11:09 PM

Looks great! Welcome to this section of the forums!

If you are considering going to the towing mirrors I highly recommend it. Probably one of the best "mods" I've done to my truck.

Baatzy

machmedic 03-22-2015 09:20 AM

Nice looking truck. Have fun!

Sous 03-22-2015 10:07 AM

I looked for my bone stock, 7.3, 6 speed manual, extended cab, short bed truck for months and found one about 600 miles away from me. Went up the day after finding it and bought it on the spot.

343,000 miles is quite a bit for the truck, but not if it has been maintained well and will continue to be.

jhl3 03-22-2015 09:35 PM

Welcome to the 7.3 Forum. Congrats on the truck.

Smokiesman 03-23-2015 11:07 AM

First off Welcome to the best forum on the web!! Great bunch of guys here that will help you in a heartbeat to solve any problems you might have with the 7.3 !:-X22:-X22They also will help you unload your wallet when the time comes for mods !:-X04:-X04:-X04

Smokie

Jmatthews 03-23-2015 07:11 PM

I bought my bone stock 6 speed in 2001 with 5 miles on it for $27000!! Now it's nonbone stock and 204k.

aawlberninf350 03-23-2015 07:21 PM

That's a nice looking truck! Congrats!

Can you find a place underneath for the horns? I can read the sign on 'em that says "5 Finger Discount". :(

dunnerjeff 03-24-2015 06:01 AM

Great looking truck and welcome to the forum..And yes these guys will help with anything esp about unloading your wallet lol.....

jhl3 03-24-2015 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by aawlberninf350 (Post 15204715)

Can you find a place underneath for the horns?

Exactly! Just so you know...Law Enforcement in NC aren't real fond of the horns. I had a family member that found out the hard way. Any time someone complained of that sound, whether near tracks or not, he was blamed and received all the attention.

He moved them to a place under the frame out of sight on his F-250 but it was too late.

It probably was him most of the time....:-X21...he had loads of fun.

I have no idea what it is like in VA.

IDI-Charlie 03-24-2015 09:42 AM

Thanks for all the kind words guys! I have always lurked this side of the forums reading up about the 7.3s, but never really posted. The truck isn't perfect, but is close enough to perfect for me.

Regarding the horns, if they were to be used on-highway, I would have them mounted on the under-side where the spare goes. They would only be on-roof when down on the railroad doing track/signal work (We are designing a quick-disconnect system so they can easily be pulled off at the end of the day).

I am a bit of a stickler when it comes to maintenance, so I am hoping that this truck will keep on trucking for many more miles! (Needs to, this thing will be getting me to-and-fro for a long while)

Smokiesman 03-24-2015 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by jhl3 (Post 15205828)
Exactly! Just so you know...Law Enforcement in NC aren't real fond of the horns. I had a family member that found out the hard way. Any time someone complained of that sound, whether near tracks or not, he was blamed and received all the attention.

He moved them to a place under the frame out of sight on his F-250 but it was too late.

It probably was him most of the time....:-X21...he had loads of fun.

I have no idea what it is like in VA.

Thank God ! Nothing but the deer and chipmunks to complain about mine!!:D:D:D:DCops can be kinda negative Nancys !:'(:'(

Smokie

SteveH-CO 03-24-2015 03:32 PM

Great looking truck!

Oh, I am also considering taking those mirrors off and replacing them with a pair of the towing style mirrors, but I am not sold on the idea.

Ditch those mirrors ASAP - you will love the towing mirrors. Those mirrors are a danger to society, and the Subaru wagon you won't see, that is right next to you.

EcoboostKev 03-24-2015 08:24 PM

Congrats on the purchase! I also bought my 2001 bone stock almost a year ago.. I looked long and hard to find what i wanted. It was 600 miles away in North Carolina but it was worth it!! Living here in the North East i couldn't find anything that wasn't a complete rust bucket! Best of luck with it!!

IDI-Charlie 03-24-2015 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH-CO (Post 15207285)
Great looking truck!

Ditch those mirrors ASAP - you will love the towing mirrors. Those mirrors are a danger to society, and the Subaru wagon you won't see, that is right next to you.

They definitely are not my favorite styling. They are on growing list of things to do to the truck to truly make it mine.

Originally Posted by EcoboostKev (Post 15208099)
Congrats on the purchase! I also bought my 2001 bone stock almost a year ago.. I looked long and hard to find what i wanted. It was 600 miles away in North Carolina but it was worth it!! Living here in the North East i couldn't find anything that wasn't a complete rust bucket! Best of luck with it!!

I lucked out and found this truck on the other side of town. This one has very little rust in the wheel wells, but they are still solid (AKA salvageable).

One of the first things I am wanting to do is get a monitor (be it Torque Pro or a chip/programmer that I can use as a monitor for now) and to fix the fuel gauge which is stuck on full currently. I am hoping the float is just stuck (I am doubting this as running the truck pretty rough through my field didn't yield any results). I will be dropping the tank this weekend and investigating further as to if it is the sending unit itself or not.