Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   High IPC and no start (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1361648-high-ipc-and-no-start.html)

fancyketchup 02-10-2015 03:01 PM

High IPC and no start

Hi everyone, I've searched this but I can't seem to find anyone with a similar issue. I have an 02 PSD with a no start. I'm getting high ICP pressure while cranking(2000ish psi). It will start most of the time if I unplug the ICP. The ICP and IPR are new and I cleaned the connector on the ICP as the old one was leaking. I get tons of smoke while cranking. Any ideas on the high pressure? Thanks everyone!

AllaboutMPG 02-10-2015 04:27 PM

What are the outside air temps when trying? Is it white smoke? Smell like fuel? Is this only on a cold engine or a warm one too? Is the new ICP Ford or aftermarket?

fancyketchup 02-10-2015 04:48 PM

Allaboutmpg,
The temps earlier today were in the 60s and it still wouldnt start with the icp plugged in. The sensor is after market from Napa. If i can get it to start it will restart when its warm no problem. The smoke is white with a heavy fuel odor. Thanks!

whitetmw 02-10-2015 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by fancyketchup (Post 15075141)
Hi everyone, I've searched this but I can't seem to find anyone with a similar issue. I have an 02 PSD with a no start. I'm getting high ICP pressure while cranking(2000ish psi). It will start most of the time if I unplug the ICP. The ICP and IPR are new and I cleaned the connector on the ICP as the old one was leaking. I get tons of smoke while cranking. Any ideas on the high pressure? Thanks everyone!

What is the ICPv KOEO
What is the IPR Duty Cycle while Cranking?

F350-6 02-10-2015 06:08 PM

How many miles on the injectors? Does it do this both hot and cold, or just cold? Need to know if the injectors are trying to fire. A visual inspection with the valve covers off will tell you how many injectors are spitting oil while cranking cold.

Also, does this have a rebuilt HPOP? We've seen good pressure but lack of volume from a rebuilt HPOP before.

Tugly 02-11-2015 01:15 AM

2000-2200 PSI is normal cranking ICP, you can skip over that part.

Starting with ICP sensor unplugged and not starting with it plugged in flips a neon arrow on - pointing at your non-OEM ICP sensor.

White smoke while cranking is low ICP, low fuel pressure, low compression, bad sticks, or bad glow plug circuit. Your non-OEM ICP is top suspect, then the Glow Plug system is worth testing.

David7.3 02-11-2015 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Tugly (Post 15076659)
2000-2200 PSI is normal cranking ICP, you can skip over that part.

Starting with ICP sensor unplugged and not starting with it plugged in flips a neon arrow on - pointing at your non-OEM ICP sensor.

White smoke while cranking is low ICP, low fuel pressure, low compression, bad sticks, or bad glow plug circuit. Your non-OEM ICP is top suspect, then the Glow Plug system is worth testing.

Dont forget the IAH, thats why it's there to prevent smoke on a cold motor. Maybe he lost power to both relays?

Tugly 02-11-2015 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by David7.3 (Post 15076713)
Dont forget the IAH, thats why it's there to prevent smoke on a cold motor....

The IAH comes on with a very particular set of circumstances, and cranking is not one of them. The IAH is all about cleaner emissions during idle on a cold truck.

fancyketchup 02-11-2015 11:08 AM

Thanks for all the replies, I replaced the icp again with one from the dealer and im still having the same symptoms. It still starts fine with the ICP unplugged, and will sputter and not start with it plugged in. The koeo ICP voltage is 0.22. The IPR duty cycle while cranking is about 38-42%. Once the truck is running with the ICP plugged in it runs great, and will restart no problem if the engine is still warm. The truck has low miles, about 65k, but I would assume crazy high hours as it has spent most of its life idling. The HPOP has never been changed, its original OEM. I will try to pull the valve covers today and see if the injectors are firing. Also, the glow plugs and relay were changed a few months ago with OEM parts, but I will double check that everything is working.

Tugly 02-12-2015 06:51 AM

Does your scan gauge have logging capability? Do you have a tune in there? That IPR may sound high, but we have to look at how slowly the crank is turning to drive the HPOP.

fancyketchup 02-12-2015 10:58 AM

It does not have a tune and Im using a snapon MODIS to test it, I can graph PIDs. The engine rpm while cranking is in the 150-215rpm range. It almost seems to start when you initially crank, but as soon as the icp goes high it just sputters.

Pikachu 02-12-2015 05:08 PM

Monitoring ICP psi while cranking can be deceiving. If cranking ICP is low, the PCM will revert to, and report, an inferred value instead of the actual pressure. Monitor ICP voltage while cranking instead. Let us know what that value is. You can also use a 0-3000 psi mechanical gauge and compare it the reported ICP psi to verify. Are/were there any DTCs present?

fancyketchup 02-12-2015 05:14 PM

I have been monitoring ICP voltage as well, it will run up to about 3.15 volts while cranking. There are DTCs, a p1280 for ICP out of range(sets when I unplug the ICP sensor) and a KAM error p0603.

schluchtenflitzer 02-13-2015 02:30 AM

As i had the same problem so just an idea.
We also have 50-60F here and mine does not start. Also big smoke leaves the exhaust. First i checked fuel, filter and glowplug system....nothing. Than changed CPS. No help...
With plug in the block heater i get him hard to run. After this I found the fault as the exhaust on one side of the engine stays cold. It was an unplugged UVC-plug on the passanger side. :-roll

HKusp 02-13-2015 07:49 AM

High operating hours, hard cold start, good glow plugs and relay, new ICP sensor, new IPR, once warm it starts fine, lots of white smoke with diesel smell...hmmm...MIGHT be injector time. If you read the cold start thread in my signature line, there are some videos of mine trying to start that sound similar to your description. It ended up being injectors. Yours could be something else, but it sounds similar.