Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Tool bag for picking up my new PowerStroke 7.3 - And now, Skippy's Build Thread (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1361445-tool-bag-for-picking-up-my-new-powerstroke-7-3-and-now-skippys-build-thread.html)

Glowplugger 02-09-2015 02:03 PM

Tool bag for picking up my new PowerStroke 7.3 - And now, Skippy's Build Thread

Hi everyone! I just joined the ranks of the PSD 7.3 users. I bought an old 1999 F250 that supposedly runs great and has just over 300k miles. I do have to pick it up though. So before I take off in a couple of weeks to bag and tag her I thought I'd get an idea of what all I should bring with me from some experienced users.

First, experience. I have an old 305 V6 that's patterened after a Diesel built for GMC, but that's as close as I've ever gotten to a Diesel engine. And that was in 1962 :p
So I have exactly NONE experience. :-hair

In the take-along bag I'm bringing:
  • a spare driver (daughter, barely fits in the bag)
  • a toolbox full of wrenches both standard and metric
  • a pack of philips and flat head screwdrivers
  • a road breakdown kit (blanket, drinks, flashers, jumper cables, etc)
  • 2 cans of fix-a-flat (no spare!)
  • 2 jump boxes @ 900 cold crank amps and an electric plug to charge them
  • Junky clothes for getting greasy if necessary
  • Rubber gloves so I don't track grease all over the steering wheel
  • Duct Tape
  • a 5 gallon jug of Rotella 15w40
Added after this thread:

• Socket set
  • Fuel and Air filter
  • CPS (Camshaft Position Sensor)
  • Flashlight
  • Distilled Water Jug
  • 5 Gallons Diesel
  • Hammer
  • Paper Towels
  • Under-Car rug for laying on
  • Magic AAA card
  • Fire extinguisher

I can't think of anything else offhand. Is there something else I should bring? This is a 12 hour drive. It's going to be either very fun or very informative.

Any ideas are good ones! And please explain if you use abbreviations. I know what a HPOP is but that's about it!

SARDiverDan 02-09-2015 02:22 PM

A laptop with AE (Ford enhanced bundle) installed and a printed copy of this: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...questions.html

FiznUKa 02-09-2015 02:29 PM

Flashlight, AAA card, a stop at the lube shop to drop the oil and replace before a 12 hour drive, CPS sensor.

Glowplugger 02-09-2015 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by SARDiverDan (Post 15072180)
A laptop with AE (Ford enhanced bundle) installed and a printed copy of this: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...questions.html

Is this AutoEnginuity? I'll download this today. I've got a blaster II connector that might work with it.

Originally Posted by FiznUKa (Post 15072185)
Flashlight, AAA card, a stop at the lube shop to drop the oil and replace before a 12 hour drive, CPS sensor.

How did I forget a flashlight? Doh! Added that to the list.
What's a CPS sensor? Cam shaft or crank shaft? Sorry, I don't know all the acronyms and abbreviations.

Thanks for the tips guys!

DieselDenny 02-09-2015 02:54 PM

Been there done that.

You can carry what you wish. If it starts and runs and your happy with a few mile testerooo. Leave so you arrive at daybreak. Take it for a spin. (then you'll know whether or not you need to bring in artillery. If your happy with the deal (and you have a chase car).....just drive it gramma style home and then start your research.

Only thing I would take is a credit card, a sandwich, and a very nice steak dinner for the chase driver.

A 12 hour run on this is NBD. (with a chase car) If something happens on the trip home. That's when you start asking questions.

Sounds like you have your boots strapped tight enough.

Good luck amigo.

Denny ( I say that because no one in this forum has any idea of the history or driveability of the truck. If your happy, get in and go.)

binuya 02-09-2015 02:57 PM

Any idea if there's an auto parts store nearby where you will be picking this up? If at all possible, I would spend some time when you get there, and take a visual inspection of all fluid levels, belts, hoses and such before embarking on a 12 hour drive. I'd also be pulling wheels off and checking the condition of the brakes and looking around for any leaks, especially in the valley area. And, as stated above, a AAA membership could be your savior. I've purchased a vehicle sight unseen before, and it's definitely an adventure. Best of luck to you!

Dr. Johnson 02-09-2015 03:30 PM

X2 on the Camshaft Position Sensor. Go to Ford and buy one, they are cheap (less than $30 here) a ratchet, 10mm? socket and short extension (not always needed). The CPS on the 7.3 have been known to deep 6 out of nowhere without warning - I keep a sensor in both of my trucks just in case. other than that, some extra fluids, and a roll of good duct tape (for danglers or slashed/damaged hose repair) are all that I would add to the toolbox.

sowaxeman 02-09-2015 03:57 PM

A 2-3 gallon jug of diesel just in case the in tank pick-up is broken off and she sputters to a halt....ask me how I know ;-) That, or just don't run it much lower than 1/4 tank to be safe until you can test it out close to home or inspect the tank and do the in tank mods.

BadDogKuzz 02-09-2015 04:02 PM

Welcome to FTE !!:-drink All of the above and a spare fuel filter and I would buy a fuel filter that comes with the fuel bowl lid built in since you have no idea what filter is in it. OEM you reuse the fuel bowl lid and depending on aftermarket you can't change just the filter.

Now when I bought my truck it was 2 states away and about 6hr drive. I went there with a casher's check and a couple grand in cash in my pocket because we got close in price and I had planned on hammering out the rest when I seen it in person. I also found a Uhaul near by and reserved a tow dolly so I didn't need a co driver. That was cheaper then food & beers for one of my friends and my wife wanted no part of the deal. Worked out nicely :-X22

Glowplugger 02-09-2015 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by DieselDenny (Post 15072243)

A 12 hour run on this is NBD. (with a chase car) If something happens on the trip home. That's when you start asking questions.

Sounds like you have your boots strapped tight enough.

Good luck amigo.

Denny ( I say that because no one in this forum has any idea of the history or driveability of the truck. If your happy, get in and go.)

Thanks Denny! What is "NBD." Not Bad Dinner? :)

Originally Posted by binuya (Post 15072250)
Any idea if there's an auto parts store nearby where you will be picking this up? If at all possible, I would spend some time when you get there, and take a visual inspection of all fluid levels, belts, hoses and such before embarking on a 12 hour drive. I'd also be pulling wheels off and checking the condition of the brakes and looking around for any leaks, especially in the valley area. And, as stated above, a AAA membership could be your savior. I've purchased a vehicle sight unseen before, and it's definitely an adventure. Best of luck to you!

That's part of the fun, isn't it? The adventure! Thank goodness for forums like this one. The valley, is that under the big black coffee-cup looking thing that remsembles a carburetor? (not my pic, just learning about these great million-mile engines)

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/a...0/SAM_3157.jpg

Originally Posted by Dr. Johnson (Post 15072348)
X2 on the Camshaft Position Sensor. Go to Ford and buy one, they are cheap (less than $30 here) a ratchet, 10mm? socket and short extension (not always needed). The CPS on the 7.3 have been known to deep 6 out of nowhere without warning - I keep a sensor in both of my trucks just in case. other than that, some extra fluids, and a roll of good duct tape (for danglers or slashed/damaged hose repair) are all that I would add to the toolbox.

I'll do that this week! I'll ahve a spare if nothing else. Good thinking! :-X22

Glowplugger 02-09-2015 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by sowaxeman (Post 15072430)
A 2-3 gallon jug of diesel just in case the in tank pick-up is broken off and she sputters to a halt....ask me how I know ;-) That, or just don't run it much lower than 1/4 tank to be safe until you can test it out close to home or inspect the tank and do the in tank mods.

Roger that! The two tank mods are my first order of business after a couple of new batteries.

Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz (Post 15072438)
Welcome to FTE !!:-drink All of the above and a spare fuel filter and I would buy a fuel filter that comes with the fuel bowl lid built in since you have no idea what filter is in it. OEM you reuse the fuel bowl lid and depending on aftermarket you can't change just the filter.

So if it's been replaced I can't just put an OEM filter in? My plan is to get one when I get the CPS at Ford dealership.

Does the cup look different if it's non-oem? Here's a pic of the engine if that helps. It's the best looking one I have at the moment.

http://windypix.com/?dm=CN6Q.jpg

DieselDenny 02-09-2015 04:53 PM

Sorry,

If you are married and you buy everything you think you should take with you from the onset......you'll carry the same crap in your backseat I've been staring at since I bought mine 12 years ago.

Take all the common things you would if you were going on a vacation for emergent circumstances. If your any car guy, you know to kick around and make sure fluids, tires etc are in appreciable shape to get the job done.

Best advise I haven't seen yet, make sure you pick the dudes brain who owned it and make sure you collect the paperwork if he kept any. If your new/and you are to 7.3's...write down things he tells you about service work or repairs and parts or mods. Even if you don't understand them now...you will in short order.

Another tip that was lent to me years ago: Stay off the freeways and pick a close route that has villages and towns/city within close distances. At this point it's not about time. It's about the ability to walk or ride to a close place that you can get a helping hand despite the time without the hand going right into your wallet pocket. (I've left very nice vehicles on farms with a handshake and returned to trailer them whenever I could without concern for the price of a bucket of KFC and sides.)(Some folks I still keep in touch with).

Before you drive it. Look at the ground where it sits. Start it right after the handshake greeting and pick brains so it warms up. Before you roll, look back at the ground and make sure sheeit isn't happening. Pay attention to where the needles sit on cold start and see where they sit when it's up to temp. (big).

Make sure the hubs are in free position when you walk up to it. If they are factory hubs and locked, investigate why. Operate the shift on the fly 4x4 with them in auto position. See if you have 4x4. If it has manual hubs, ask questions.

With the mileage: Trans ever rebuilt replaced? Injectors? Frequency of oil changes and what type oil? Modifications if any? Other than that general failure point with our rigs, what kind of service was the truck used for?

Just had a few minutes to ramble but I hope it goes well.

Let us know, everyone in this crew is all about help.

Highest regards,

Denny

DieselDenny 02-09-2015 04:57 PM

Missed it: NBD =No Big Deal. LOL

Learned it from the texting chillens.

DieselDenny 02-09-2015 05:13 PM

Missed that too...........

The black coffee can in the pictures is the fuel filter housing. If it has a 1/2 drive head on it......it's not oem. Better! Just make sure you carry the 1/2 inch ratchet with it. I run Luber finer filters in mine as they come with the cap and they just are easier and I am in love. If you do end up having to flip the filter for a replacement, make SURE you follow the diagram as far as the oring/seal placements. If you invert the ring or over tighten the cap, I'm buying stock in diesel. Because you will dump a full tank on the ground in short order.

I appreciate your forethought in getting intel on your soon new to you rig.

Generally in here, you see "I just bought this and this is my problem".

Keep asking questions! Your accumulation of knowledge will pay dividends.

I was a die hard chevy diesel guy before my first stroker. Nothing but three blue ovals in my drive since my first one. (still driving it)

Denny:-drink

timf150 02-09-2015 06:13 PM

B.E.S.T map

Maybe you should have this handy also. Its a map of FTE guys with AE's and the willingness to help. You can map out the members via your route.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...rce=gplus-ogsb

Thanks to those who contributed.

Tim M