Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Aftermarket Products (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum66/)
-   -   Muffler? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1361407-muffler.html)

halvorj31 02-09-2015 11:17 AM

Muffler?

Took the muffler off my truck,1988 F250 XLT Lariat w/ 302 - wanting to put aftermarket performance one on. The best i've found is a Flowmaster Super 10. (says its "aggressive" ;)) Is there anything thats even better? please do tell!

Conanski 02-09-2015 06:41 PM

Ahh,, your thread title suggests a debate which implies 2 or more choices but you only have one. What gives?

Ignoring that I have a question.. how loud and aggressive is your truck now with no muffler on it? Just so you know it will only get quieter and less aggressive sounding with any muffler you pick.. so it really won't make much difference what you choose.

halvorj31 02-10-2015 10:24 AM

Well, it sounds decent without one, but sounds best cruising through at about 35mph (sadly, 25 mph speed in town. better watch for the po po) So youre saying that even an aggresive muffler wont boost the sound from a cut off muffler? i currently have it cut back, havent taken it out the back yet. i was considering getting a exhaust back kit, and a loud exhaust, just to keep from getting in trouble, but i like loud sooo...and as for the "debate "part, i was wondering if theres anything louder out there then the super 10. super 44 and 40's are up there, but idk if as good as a 10.

halvorj31 02-10-2015 10:49 AM

Ok yeah, a muffler would quiet it down. but would it have more of a constant rumble to it with a muffler on vs off? im assuming it would. also, it has a 2.5 inch pipe on it right now. go bigger or go home?

NUKEHEAD1001 02-10-2015 08:00 PM

you wont get in trouble. I ran with my muffler and catalytic converter off for 6 months and no issues. Dont do that though cause its not good for the truck. Found that out the hard way.

halvorj31 02-11-2015 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by NUKEHEAD1001 (Post 15075955)
you wont get in trouble. I ran with my muffler and catalytic converter off for 6 months and no issues. Dont do that though cause its not good for the truck. Found that out the hard way.

I left the cat on there.oxygen sensor is on there so just didnt mess with it.

lariat97 02-16-2015 09:20 PM

I have a Thrush turbo muffler on a 98 ram 1500 318. It is 2.5 cat back with 3 inch after the muffler. It sounds better than most duals. My cat was gutted when I got the truck. I like it better than the Flowmasters I've had. For $35 at OReillys it's not a bad deal

CarGear 06-09-2015 12:04 PM

We suggest an oval muffler such as this black chrome stainless steel muffler. It will give your truck performance boost. As was previously mentioned, any muffler will reduce noise but you will get a better performing truck with this long-lasting product. It has outperformed all comparable products in this market.
Black Chrome Stainless Steel Muffler