Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   I Just Can't KILL Her! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1357215-i-just-cant-kill-her.html)

cmpd1781 01-18-2015 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by tjc transport (Post 15006179)

tough question. will changing the fluid now kill the trans? probably not.
but who knows how long it will last if you do not service it?

kinda like the guy that feels because the prostrate cancer he has had for the past 4 years has not killed him so far, so why have it removed?

I've pretty much decided I'm going to do it.........

When some of the fluid appears to be slightly 'burnt', that can't be a good thing. :-X16

And that's something I can do myself, of course......which just points to the fact that there's been no excuse.

AllaboutMPG 01-18-2015 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by cmpd1781 (Post 15005746)
Too late.......lol

Or drain, drop the pan, replace the gasket and filter, and refill?????

Here's a better way from our very own Mark K, THE transmission guru

Changing ATF Fluid in a E4OD and 4R100 transmission - Ford Trucks

This will get all the fluid changed

Pitcrw6 01-18-2015 07:07 PM

Yep you need to change that tranny fluid out. I changed mine at 80k and it was black. I didn't change the filter but I added a external spin on tranny filter and changed the filter at 120k and that fluid was the same color as what was in the qt bottle, bright red. An external filter is a very good investment imo. Also if you tow heavy I highly suggest a 6.0 tranny cooler too keep your temps in ck.

timmyboy76 01-18-2015 07:47 PM

from what ive read, just drain the pan and refill..(laymen term quoted from a tranny tech)

Pitcrw6 01-18-2015 08:12 PM

I can see doing that if the fluid was changed every 30k, but with 200k, I would do a full drain and flush.

cmpd1781 01-19-2015 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by AllaboutMPG (Post 15006934)

Here's a better way from our very own Mark K, THE transmission guru

Changing ATF Fluid in a E4OD and 4R100 transmission - Ford Trucks

This will get all the fluid changed

Yeah. Sounds like the full flush alright.

I was hoping to do it without having to break out hoses and call up a friend.......

Originally Posted by Pitcrw6 (Post 15007084)

Yep you need to change that tranny fluid out. I changed mine at 80k and it was black. I didn't change the filter but I added a external spin on tranny filter and changed the filter at 120k and that fluid was the same color as what was in the qt bottle, bright red. An external filter is a very good investment imo. Also if you tow heavy I highly suggest a 6.0 tranny cooler too keep your temps in ck.

I'll have to look into that.

I don't do a lot of towing........

Originally Posted by timmyboy76 (Post 15007187)

from what ive read, just drain the pan and refill..(laymen term quoted from a tranny tech)

That was KIND of what I was looking at doing......Except for also pulling the pan and changing the filter......and checking out the magnet to see what's been going on up there.......

Originally Posted by Pitcrw6 (Post 15007264)

I can see doing that if the fluid was changed every 30k, but with 200k, I would do a full drain and flush.

OK. So let's say I DON'T do the full flush.......

Out of the 18-odd quarts of tranny fluid, how much am I actually draining if I just pull the plug??????

tjc transport 01-19-2015 07:40 AM

what is in the pan, maybe 8 quarts.

cmpd1781 01-19-2015 07:54 AM

So roughly half? That's it???

tjc transport 01-19-2015 08:16 AM

yup. the torque converter and cooler hold a lot of juice.

cmpd1781 01-19-2015 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by tjc transport (Post 15008245)

yup. the torque converter and cooler hold a lot of juice.

Yup.

So after reading Kovalsky's instructions.......Part 4 and 5.......

If you drain the pan........replace the plug........Start the engine........

Won't 8 more quarts end up getting recirculated back into the pan???? Which you can then drain making it 16 quarts you've drained??????

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________

He's disconnecting hoses, putting on the drain hose at the plug where the ATF is returning from the cooler back to the torque converter........and running the engine.........

Just a thought.........And I'm sure not a very good one....lol

tjc transport 01-19-2015 09:47 AM

yes, it will. but then it will contaminate the new stuff.
another way is to drain the pan, and drain the torque converter. this will leave what is in the cooler and lines. or you can blow out the lines. then you will just have what is left in the trans.

timmyboy76 01-19-2015 09:47 AM

yup....pull plug, then remove pan and replace filter.

cmpd1781 01-19-2015 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by tjc transport (Post 15008557)

yes, it will. but then it will contaminate the new stuff.
another way is to drain the pan, and drain the torque converter. this will leave what is in the cooler and lines. or you can blow out the lines. then you will just have what is left in the trans.

That'll probably work. According to Kov's post, My 2000 has a drain plug on the torque convertor...........

I realize I'm sounding 'newbish' here......but I've not spent any time crawling around checking out all the tranny stuff under the truck.....lol.

Some of you guys probably do that every weekend for relaxation......

Originally Posted by timmyboy76 (Post 15008558)

yup....pull plug, then remove pan and replace filter.

I'm guessing that would bring me to 2/3.....or 3/4 of the fluid being drained through that simpler process. Probably enough.......

You guys make it sound simple, but I really don't want to run the engine after draining until I've put the new stuff in and I'm testing the level........

cmpd1781 01-19-2015 11:59 AM

This is reminding me of my first posts here about 8 years ago.......lol

'Hey guys! I just changed the CPS! My truck works great now! Thanks! The Ford 7.3L rules! This site rocks!!!'......

tjc transport 01-19-2015 02:25 PM

i think if you drain the pan and torque converter you should be good to go.
or just take it somewhere and pay the $150 and have it done.
the only thing i make sure of is that they do not do the chemical flush. i specify just a simple fluid change.
i changed the filter when i first got it,it was nasty. now i just do a fluid change.