Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   3D printing fog lamp switch bezel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1355129-3d-printing-fog-lamp-switch-bezel.html)

1985 Bronco 01-05-2015 09:29 PM

3D printing fog lamp switch bezel

My friend has access to a 3D printer at school. He thinks that he could make make a fog light bezel that can mount to the dash bezel. But, he needs dimensions of the piece, and what the back side looks like. I think someone could adapt a tank selector, or bronco rear window switch to be used as a factory looking fog light switch. I also need to figure out how it would be mounted. Can anyone give me dimensions, and suggestions for mounting it?
http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/...psb852fa30.jpg

Gary Lewis 01-05-2015 10:31 PM

Subscribed. But since I've never even seen one I have no input.

ctubutis 01-05-2015 10:51 PM

That's my picture. :)

But I have only a general idea of where those things are right now - in the garage in a box is my best guess. And my garage is filled with two dead (and one majorly disassembled) cars right now, making it a real PITA to search for that stuff. :(

1985 Bronco 01-05-2015 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by ctubutis (Post 14969763)
That's my picture. :)

But I have only a general idea of where those things are right now - in the garage in a box is my best guess. And my garage is filled with two dead (and one majorly disassembled) cars right now, making it a real PITA to search for that stuff. :(

It is, I stole it. :) It was kinda hard to find a decent picture of it. Any suggestions for mounting it?

Rusty_S 01-05-2015 11:28 PM

I wont be able to get a photo of the back side but if you are interested I can check the '80 F150 Ranger we have at work that truck has the factory fog lamp in the instrument cluster bezel to the right of the wiper switch.

I can get height and width measurements off that so atleast you will have the measurements.

Also if you're friend is able to 3D print one of good quality let me know, I have not been sure how I want to mount a switch for the auxiliary lights I will be adding but with a reproduction bezel I wouldn't mind cutting the area out and mounting one of theses for activation, especially considering with 3D printing the text can changed to say anything you want.

I will also get a photo of this one as well but cant get a photo of the back side, as the truck is in one piece and I have quite a bit of work tomorrow but I can slack off for a few minutes to take a couple measurements and take a photo or two of the face.

1985 Bronco 01-06-2015 12:11 AM

Thank you. I made a few things with a 3D printer in high school, and I have a feeling that he is going to have to make the letters a little bit thicker than stock ones. If it turns out well, I'll see if he can make more, and I'll sell them to members.

Rusty_S 01-06-2015 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by 1985 Bronco (Post 14969913)
Thank you. I made a few things with a 3D printer in high school, and I have a feeling that he is going to have to make the letters a little bit thicker than stock ones. If it turns out well, I'll see if he can make more, and I'll sell them to members.

Was busy at work but I will get the measurements before we close up for the night.

As far as the letters goes, I don't mind how thick they are long as they are in a very similar font style.

I wouldn't want mine to say fog lamps anyways. I don't know what I would want mine to say but it would look a lot more factory to do it this way for switching my auxiliary lights from off to on. Not like the switch will turn them on by themselves, it will just break the signal to the relay from the high beam switch. No point turning the LED auxiliary lights I will be installing on without the highbeams on.

Rusty_S 01-06-2015 08:27 PM

Ok, here are the measurements I got from the bezel on the '80 F150 Ranger that we have at work. I measured the outside dimenions with the bezel installed in the gauge bezel.

Heigth : 2 3/8"
Width : 1 11/16"

1985 Bronco 01-06-2015 09:05 PM

Thank you! Can you get the height and width of the slot for the lever, and the size of the letters?

Rusty_S 01-06-2015 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by 1985 Bronco (Post 14972505)
Thank you! Can you get the height and width of the slot for the lever, and the size of the letters?

Sure thing I did not even think of that but I can get the measurement of the slot and I will do my best to get the height of the letters tomorrow.

ctubutis 01-06-2015 09:20 PM

IIRC those bezels had 4 "legs" (one in each corner, think of a table for a doll house) that went through some holes drilled in the primary bezel; those 4 plastic pieces were then melted, retaining the small piece to the larger.

They could probably be glued on at this point in their lives....

Gary Lewis 01-06-2015 09:20 PM

If he's trying to match the letters the width and height would be helpful. And, getting the overall width of ON and OFF in addition to the individual letters would be good.

Gary Lewis 01-06-2015 09:25 PM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...36f7370b16.jpg

1985 Bronco 01-06-2015 09:25 PM

I was going to have my friend just make a flat one, it could be epoxied on. I don't know if the machine will be able to make legs.

Rusty_S 01-06-2015 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis (Post 14972553)
If he's trying to match the letters the width and height would be helpful. And, getting the overall width of ON and OFF in addition to the individual letters would be good.

I was going to get the width and height of the letters as well as the depth of the letters if I can find my caliper I can use it to measure how high the letters are raised as well.

From the diagram you posted it appears the switch itself mounts to the dash itself and sticks through the bezel.

I wonder how the switch mounts because last time I had my bezel off the dash mine has a large opening behind where the switch would mount. I know this because I was thinking of mounting an illuminated aftermarket rocker switch here to the instrument bezel itself.