Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   New Expedition owner and new to the forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1354429-new-expedition-owner-and-new-to-the-forums.html)

medicdaddy 01-01-2015 11:28 PM

New Expedition owner and new to the forums

Let me start off by apologizing in advance if this is a repeat post but trying to put everything in one area.

new expedition owner (2014 limited non EL)

wanted to know if anyone has replaced the internal map and dome lights with LEDs and if so which ones you went with? also are these plug and play or are there wiring and brackets that need to be installed?

Backup lights... any suggestions on what drop in to get some more light?

fog light replacement. after having to replace the entire housing on my 2013 focus i can only assume that the fog lights on the expedition are of a similar fragile quality. is it possible to drop is a piaa or hella housing unit that has a similar size that is more robust?

the stereo. kinda disappointed with the stock unit (nav/sync etc.) and would like to do something with a little more power. has anyone switched their out? not looking to do a complete overhaul of the audio just something that sounds better and maybe has a little more power

and finally remote start. is there a way to use the mykey settings to set up a remote start? the keyfob for my focus has it built in and i havent been able to make heads or tails of this one yet, so any info in this area would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance and sorry for the long post:-X06:-X06

hank_2010 01-26-2015 10:31 AM

The mykey feature allows you to set up a key as a restricted key, say for a teenage driver. It limits the top speed and radio volume plus some other stuff. By itself, it can't be used to set up a remote start. You will need to purchase a remote start kit and install that. There is some good info on the forum about remote starts and the mykey feature.

hope this helps you out some

mot250 01-30-2015 04:55 PM

Fog lights are pretty flimsy if the same as the 2008 Expy I have. The dealer replaced both of mine due to cracks when I bought my '08 used last year. You can get them pretty cheap from Rock Auto if you need to replace them yourself, however ($40 a piece if I recall). ford Dealer parts might be $80 each. I took mine off shortly after i bought the Expy and added a protective adhesive clear vinyl cover to keep them from damaging stone chips/cracks. It is my opinion that the deep set-back location in the low portion of the front bumper sets us up for more damage as a rock can get "trapped" into a trajectory to smash the lens including ricocheting off the inside "cup" in the bumper in front of the fog lamps.

hank_2010 02-04-2015 05:17 PM

I have been wondering about the led lights in the interior as well. I did some research, but haven't went ahead and bought the leds yet. Please correct me if I am wrong, but this is what i have found so far. This list isn't conclusive, just what i wanted to convert to led

1 rear cargo area dome light 578
2 middle done lights w5w
2 map lights front w5w
4 mirror vanity lights ts-14v1.5cp (29-30x 6 mm)
1 glove box light 194
2 under mirror puddle lights (solid sealed unit, not able to swap for led)
2 license plate lamps 168

also to touch on the remote start, I just installed the bi-directiona kit p/n: AL1Z-19G364-A on my 2010 limited with sync today. My truck has mykey, but other than shutting it off when I opened the door, the my key had no effect on it.