Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   The best year for the EFI 460 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1353758-the-best-year-for-the-efi-460-a.html)

eakermeld 12-29-2014 07:38 PM

The best year for the EFI 460

I am getting ready to build a new engine for my 89 F250 and I want to use the best year of production for the EFI 460 as a base. I'm not building a race truck but I would like it to have guts. This truck is a daily driver and also a tow vehicle. I am going to stick with the SD system. I am up for some mild upgrades like some mild porting, piston upgrades, decking and such, but I do not want to compromise my current fuel economy (if you can call it that!:-missingt) or driveability. If this works well, I have a 94 F250 out back that will be next. I'm going to post this over in the Big Block forum,also. Thanks in advance for any advice.

bbf385 12-29-2014 11:16 PM

F3 heads are about as good as it gets. I have similar plans.
F3 heads, adjustable FPR, BBK throttle body, RV cam and tri-y headers.
I'm also thinking of sending the intake to RHP Re in"Car"nation High Performance - Special Deals

Crewcabber 12-29-2014 11:24 PM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...99cd0b0039.jpg

This is the adjustable FPR I bought for my 97 it's a two bolt not three.
With summit liquid filled pressure guage.

eakermeld 12-30-2014 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by bbf385 (Post 14948399)
F3 heads are about as good as it gets. I have similar plans.
F3 heads, adjustable FPR, BBK throttle body, RV cam and tri-y headers.
I'm also thinking of sending the intake to RHP Re in"Car"nation High Performance - Special Deals

Tell me more about the cam you are using.
Those are some really nice heads, but I'm not wanting to spend that much on heads alone. There are some really great machine shops around close that can build good engines with stock parts and I am looking for the starting point. I have been told 93 up was the best production run to use as a foundation. Then use different pistons to up the compression a bit, but that's where the trail goes cold. So I have come here to seek knowledge.

eakermeld 12-30-2014 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Crewcabber (Post 14948424)
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...99cd0b0039.jpg

This is the adjustable FPR I bought for my 97 it's a two bolt not three.
With summit liquid filled pressure guage.

This may be a silly question cause nobody really expects to get good mileage from a 460, but what were the effects of that regulator on your fuel mileage? Killed it or improved it or just gained power? And what pressures are you running?

rla2005 12-30-2014 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by eakermeld (Post 14948794)
Those are some really nice heads, but I'm not wanting to spend that much on heads alone. So I have come here to seek knowledge.

The heads are a major part of the low factory HP equation. Spending money elsewhere will not get you very far.

Great reading in this thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ts-are-in.html

Pay attention to the flow numbers Boport was able to coax out of the factory heads. Impressive gains that demonstrate the power of a knowledgeable "head guy".

Redneckfordf2502002 12-30-2014 11:17 AM

If you end up getting a 93 up block then you would have more then likely F3TE heads on it if I am not mistaken. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.
Trav

eakermeld 12-30-2014 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by rla2005 (Post 14948996)
The heads are a major part of the low factory HP equation. Spending money elsewhere will not get you very far.

Great reading in this thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ts-are-in.html

Pay attention to the flow numbers Boport was able to coax out of the factory heads. Impressive gains that demonstrate the power of a knowledgeable "head guy".

WOW! That was some great reading. Gave me some good ideas and spawned a few questions.
I have seen F3TE and F3TZ heads mentioned. Are they the same and the "Z" was just a typo or are they a more desirable head?
'88 to '92 pistons have the smallest recess. Can they be used in a '93 up block or do I need a pre-'93 bottom end? And can this piston be used while decking the block .020"?
What about the cam? I have read so much info on that, I am totally confused. Lobe separation is bad, lift is good. How much of each can I get by with on a SD system and is there a rocker arm alternative?
I have seen that regrouping injector banks helped with exhaust flow pulses. Anyone got any more info on that? Dos and don't s?

I know that's a lot of questions, and I will have more. But I will also continue to do more research on my own, and all help will be greatly appreciated.

'89F2urd 12-31-2014 10:36 AM

I was going to reference boports build. it'd be expensive to upsize the valves as he did without having connections, as he does, but he made all those numbers on factory compression and 87 octane IIRC. lots of power and response to unlock by milling the heads/using different pistons on top of a clean port job.

I'd increase the compression well into the 10's if it were mine and just run 93. your cruise mileage will be better vs low compression and 87, so the price difference of 87 and 93 is offset by the added thermal efficiency. plus, it will add crisp light pedal feel that is very enjoyable to drive, and wont the exhaust note wont be a throaty whisper anymore but a healthy roar.

aftermarket set of cast iron heads are relatively cheap for the 460, and are a good platform to start with. most wont need any "porting", but cleaning up of casting flash or shroud from valve guides is still a must. itd be easy to change compression ratio too with combustion chamber options.

mimick boports build (or start with aftermarket heads), with high compression, and youll have one hellofa runner without destroying your pockets.

nothing can net you worse mileage than your current, low flow, low compression setup. it only goes up, unless you have to hot rod everywhere you go of course, at which point youre paying to play. ive always found it easier to grandpa around when theres power on demand with the right foot (and a throttle pedal that actually doesn't feel broken), vs gunning it cuz you have to.

the adjustable fuel pressure regulator wont change your mileage unless somethings broken, or your o2 sensor is bad. the AFPR helps compensate at WOT for the added air flow of the head mods, cam, long tubes, etc....but your o2 sensor will trim the fuel down under normal driving to be in its desired range. I wont say wideband is an absolute must, but itd be kinda stupid not to run one.

Redneckfordf2502002 12-31-2014 11:50 AM

I thought they didn't have aftermarket heads for EFI 460s? I know you can't run carb 460 heads on the EFI 460 as the ports don't match up.
Trav

'89F2urd 12-31-2014 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Redneckfordf2502002 (Post 14952814)
I thought they didn't have aftermarket heads for EFI 460s? I know you can't run carb 460 heads on the EFI 460 as the ports don't match up.
Trav

ive always been under the assumption that the solution was to run a carb adapter in reverse....

use carb heads, a "carb style EFI manifold" for around 3-400 and adapt the throttle body to the carb manifold by simply flipping the adapter over (and possibly small modification to make it work that way)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-50665

Carb Spacers

I haven't done it myself, but that's how I planned to do it if/when I build a 460. its becoming more of a when than an if at this point, I really want to build a 460....

of course, that route would add up quick if factory fuel injection components like fuel rails, etc wont mount to the carb style efi manifold OR inexpensive solutions to make it work cant be found.

Crewcabber 12-31-2014 02:53 PM

Eakermeld I am running the afpr at stock pressure right now I have to clean my harmonic balancer so I can bump the timing. At the moment I am in need of a rear different rebuild so the fuel mods are on hold. When I get back to it I want to bump timing a hoter coil 9mm plug wires new copper core plugs. Rebuild my injectors and bump the afpr up a few lbs. Oh and a good set of headers

Redneckfordf2502002 12-31-2014 03:53 PM

Thanks for that info 89f2urd would rep you again if I could.
Trav

westcoasting 12-31-2014 04:00 PM

I would call Scott at Re-Incarnation... this guy does nothing but build 460's. He has heads for efi motors and with headers and fuel upgrades you have an easy 100hp extra. Check the thread in the big block forum on one.

bbf385 12-31-2014 05:10 PM

The carb spacer in the link is for putting a carb on an efi intake, not the reverse.

Scott at re-Incarnation (link I posted) also ports the efi intake for $200 with exchange. It's about half-way down the specials page. There is also an option on the page to buy the porting instructions for $20 and give them to your local shop to follow.
His name on 460ford.com is "themadporter" He might be on here too.