Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Stuck Oil filter removal (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1353622-stuck-oil-filter-removal.html)

AXracer 12-29-2014 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by old_dan (Post 14946508)
I have been using Dow Corning DC-4 compound to lube the gasket on oil filters for years. I haven't had to do the old "drive a big screwdriver through the filter trick" since I started using the DC-4. I picked up on that practice when working as an aircraft mechanic. It is recommended by most of the filter manufacturers for aircraft use, so I figured it would be OK for my cars and trucks as well. It is also a good lube on O-rings.

Dan

Just don't get it within feet of anything you ever want to paint since it is silicone based.

The filter boss threaded stem is only about 1.25" long so just stay above that if driving anything thru the filter. Worse a bar will do is tear the filter housing in two. If that happens you have a seriously stuck filter! If it does, then stick one jaw of a pair of vise grips inside the filter and one outside on the remaining stub. Clamp down tightly, and while supporting the vise grips with one hand smack the side of the jaws with a hammer driving them and the filter base in a counter clockwise direction. If you rip all the housing away without it unscrewing, and there is space between the base and the gasket seat (like if there are two gaskets) then I would break a fine toothed hacksaw blade in 1/2 and holding a piece in your hand carefully saw thru the gasket(s). Saw only a 1/4" deep and work around the filter base being careful not to damage the gasket seat. If that doesn't work, consider buying a new engine and/or firing the gorilla that tightened it! }>}>}>

ben73058 12-29-2014 12:56 PM

Hey Tyler,
Hmmmm.. I've done a lot of work with my son under the truck.
Uhhh... When he tells me it just won't come off I always go under there
and confirm he's going the right direction. Invariably he's cranking on it the wrong direction - then it's a bear to get off.

We put sandpaper & a garage rag between the filter & the wrench to get a good grip.

Good luck over there.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Tyler S 12-29-2014 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by AXracer (Post 14946778)
Just don't get it within feet of anything you ever want to paint since it is silicone based. The filter boss threaded stem is only about 1.25" long so just stay above that if driving anything thru the filter. Worse a bar will do is tear the filter housing in two. If that happens you have a seriously stuck filter! If it does, then stick one jaw of a pair of vise grips inside the filter and one outside on the remaining stub. Clamp down tightly, and while supporting the vise grips with one hand smack the side of the jaws with a hammer driving them and the filter base in a counter clockwise direction. If you rip all the housing away without it unscrewing, and there is space between the base and the gasket seat (like if there are two gaskets) then I would break a fine toothed hacksaw blade in 1/2 and holding a piece in your hand carefully saw thru the gasket(s). Saw only a 1/4" deep and work around the filter base being careful not to damage the gasket seat. If that doesn't work, consider buying a new engine and/or firing the gorilla that tightened it! }>}>}>

The gorilla is my son. I can't fire him. I've tried but he keeps coming back! :)

AXracer 12-29-2014 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tyler S (Post 14946959)
The gorilla is my son. I can't fire him. I've tried but he keeps coming back! :)

Don't ya just hate when that happens!?!? :-missingt

drptop70ss 12-29-2014 02:38 PM

Wow if you have room for a strap wrench and it wont come off it either had no oil on the gasket at install and / or is on waaay to tight.
I only install filters hand tight, snugged up after the gasket hits the block.

Tyler S 12-29-2014 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by drptop70ss (Post 14947040)
Wow if you have room for a strap wrench and it wont come off it either had no oil on the gasket at install and / or is on waaay to tight. I only install filters hand tight, snugged up after the gasket hits the block.

Haha! Yeah NOW I know that! :)

Tyler S 12-29-2014 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by drptop70ss (Post 14947040)
Wow if you have room for a strap wrench and it wont come off it either had no oil on the gasket at install and / or is on waaay to tight. I only install filters hand tight, snugged up after the gasket hits the block.

This all clearly proves the premise that "experience is something you get right after you need it!"

Tyler S 12-29-2014 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by ben73058 (Post 14946795)
Hey Tyler, Hmmmm.. I've done a lot of work with my son under the truck. Uhhh... When he tells me it just won't come off I always go under there and confirm he's going the right direction. Invariably he's cranking on it the wrong direction - then it's a bear to get off. We put sandpaper & a garage rag between the filter & the wrench to get a good grip. Good luck over there. Ben in Austin 1950 F1

I haven't been home to check that yet, but I've asked him that a hundred times in the last two days. For the same reason you said above :)

Tedster9 12-29-2014 02:56 PM

Reefed down oil filters are highly annoying. And oil drain plugs. Right up there with passengers who get in and BAM! slam the door shut just as hard as they can, usually accompanied by "they don't build 'em like that anymore" or "I sure like these old trucks.."

No jury would convict, would they?

About a 1/4 turn hand tight is all they need. They get quite a bit tighter by the time it needs replacement for some reason.

AXracer 12-29-2014 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tedster9 (Post 14947087)
Reefed down oil filters are highly annoying. And oil drain plugs. Right up there with passengers who get in and BAM! slam the door shut as hard as they can "I sure like these old trucks.." No jury would convict, would they?

About a 1/4 turn hand tight is all they need. They get quite a but tighter by the time it needs replacement for some reason.

Gasket swells from heat and oil. Designed that way.

Tedster9 12-29-2014 03:49 PM

Yep. They should be removable by hand too (barely) at least.

Tyler S 12-29-2014 09:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Done! Took me about 5 minutes. Dang that kid!!

Attachment 111876

Tyler S 12-29-2014 09:33 PM

Put a long screw driver through it and it torqued right off. I'm not sure what all the drama was about. The "boy" just finished his 2nd varsity Bball game of the day and had a double-double, so at least he won't be feeling bad about himself that his old man got it off in 5 mins! :)

Thanks for all your help on this, guys!! Tyler

AXracer 12-30-2014 01:58 PM

Looks like dry gasket rolled up causing leak?

Tyler S 12-30-2014 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by AXracer (Post 14949854)
Looks like dry gasket rolled up causing leak?

That's what caused the initial leak. There was another leak at the same time from the oil pressure sender but my son kept thinking it was from the filter, so he kept tightening and tightening. THENNNNNNN he figured out it was from the sender. But to tighten the sender he had to take off the filter. But as we've seen, it would not come off easily. Anyway we finally got it off, tightened the sender, replaced the filter and now we are moving on to the next problem...hot engine and possibly dragging brakes. WOOO Hooo!!