Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   2015 F-250 burnt rubber odor (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1347085-2015-f-250-burnt-rubber-odor.html)

FFJamison 09-08-2015 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by FordService (Post 15626986)
Welcome to the forum, FFJamison! I want to get the odor you're experiencing on the radar of your regional customer service manager. Since you're a new member, you may not have access to PMs yet. Send an email with your details to custserv@ford.com; I'll need your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. Please put my name ("Crystal") in the subject line and post here once you've sent it. :-X22

Crystal

Email sent.

FordService 09-08-2015 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by FFJamison (Post 15627112)
Email sent.

Thanks, FFJamison; I got it and just sent you a reply. Let us know how things go at the dealership. :-X22

Crystal

FFJamison 09-13-2015 02:36 PM

Well the dealer wasnt able to track down any issues after smoke testing it.
HOWEVER - I do have that burnt rubber smell tracked down that happens when its hot outside. Yall are gonna think Im nuts, buuuut....go open one of your doors and put your nose up to the gasket on the body that seals the door. It smells the same as the smell I get when its hot inside the cab of the truck.
I dont know if its the seal its self or the adhesive.
So my theory is this, mine smells that way after sitting in the sun all day here in TX on really hot days. SO if the truck just did a regen and the cab is absorbing heat off the exhaust which theres pretty much no way to realistically prevent. The added heat is causing that door seal to "off gas" of sorts more than normal making the smell stronger.

Ok, ok I know yall wanna know how I came to this, my child put the truck keys behind the part of the seat where the car seat is so I was reaching through the gap to retrieve keys thus having my face right by the edge of the door.

51truck 03-11-2016 04:17 PM

Did anybody get an answer to this problem my new 2016 smelled like burning rubber and melting wires today 300 miles on truck. Took it by the dealer and of course it was gone b the time I got there.

Tim C 03-11-2016 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by 51truck (Post 16117819)
Did anybody get an answer to this problem my new 2016 smelled like burning rubber and melting wires today 300 miles on truck. Took it by the dealer and of course it was gone b the time I got there.

51truck, I'd bet money the smell on your 300 mile truck was a recently completed regen. My 2016 does a regen about once every 250-325 miles in stop and go driving so you'd be about due for a regen. Regen is where the exhaust get over 1000 degrees to burn the soot out of the dpf. The first four or five regens on my truck smelled like a combined brake and electrical fire, I can barely smell it at all now with 5000 miles unless it does one right after a rain storm.

Jethrone 03-11-2016 06:33 PM

It only happened twice for me and only the second time that I actually was concerned that something was burning...but I couldn't confirm if it was during a regen or not (but presumably it was). Since then I haven't had any problems.

JetExpress_6.7 03-11-2016 07:59 PM

It's almost certainly a fresh regen or one that was shut down prematurely. I wouldn't have known this if not for my torque pro app now telling me exactly when and how long the regen is taking. It was always hard to tell before since the dash only shows the indication for about 3 seconds.

dualwheels66 03-12-2016 06:36 AM

I have a similar smell and I know it's not DPF because I don't have one. It turns out that my transfer case seems to be leaking but there are no drips. It always is oily where the rear driveshaft comes in. I just added a 1qt of transfer case oil, I couldn't believe it was a quart low. I still have the smell, I am pretty sure I need to get it checked out.

51truck 03-12-2016 05:57 PM

Thanks. It may have been a regen an I misses the message.

erik512 03-13-2016 08:58 PM

Just noticed this thread and decided to check in - I have a '15 at just about 5000 miles now. I get the burnt rubber smell every now and then - it seemed like it happened more in the first ~2000 miles or so; Even then, it seemed to happen more when I was doing simple stuff like driving to the store, not while towing a trailer offroad or anything. I notice it less now, but it's possible that I've just become used to it. No other problems to speak off, so I'll keep an eye on it and wait for it to fix itself or burst into flames one day. (I'm sure I'll post pictures if it does).

-Erik

pdx_boats 02-20-2017 10:23 PM

Same thing. Toxic Vapors!

I have a new 2016 F350 Platinum with exactly the same problem.
I've owned Super Duty trucks for years and never had one do this before.
I DON'T believe it is regen. It happens all the time even when there has been no regen indicated on the dash. As previously indicated, it enters the cab and can even make it hard to breath at it's worst, although it isn't always that bad.

FORD: YOU NEED TO GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS!

Something it getting way too hot and if nothing else, it isn't healthy for me and my passengers to breath that toxic smell!!!! :(:D:'(

erik512 02-20-2017 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by pdx_boats (Post 16968904)
I have a new 2016 F350 Platinum with exactly the same problem.

How many miles are you at? Since I posted that last message, I'm at around 14k miles now. Not sure when the last time I noticed it was, but I don't recall experiencing it in quite a while now.. maybe it goes away once the DPF/something is "broken in"? No idea..

Good luck,
Erik

pdx_boats 02-20-2017 11:57 PM

Hi Erik:
I'm at 9K miles and it seems to be getting worse and not better.
I'm most concerned about the fumes entering the cab. I'm am strongly considering taking this down to the college (or paying someone else) and having them analyze the vapors. They can't be healthy to breath.

erik512 02-21-2017 12:13 AM

That's unfortunate to hear. Definitely err on the side of safety there - hopefully Ford can figure something out for you, it's no fun to have to deal with that, especially on a truck so new.

Good luck,
Erik

JetExpress_6.7 02-21-2017 11:26 AM

Have you taken it to a dealer to be checked out?