Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2009 - 2014 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum193/)
-   -   Cold weather prep? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1346732-cold-weather-prep.html)

tseekins 11-18-2014 06:32 AM

Don't forget about the cold weather prep for your house as well.

Removing the garden hoses and cover your spigots with a foam cover can and will save countless headaches later on and seems to be one of the last things that people in the south look after.

SBV45 11-18-2014 08:17 AM

Extreme cold is why I live in Central Texas. But the summer heat is tough on batteries. Making sure you have the correct amount and mix of coolant is important all the time.
Occasionally, we get a freeze and plumbers and home improvement centers do a brisk business because people don't put the foam covers or insulation on exposed pipes and hose bibs.

Jon Wagner 11-18-2014 08:17 AM

I was driving a 2001 Ford F150 XLT 2WD. I usually did the following in the winter.

1) Make sure you have good tires. Good in Snow, slush and Ice.
2) Sand bags over the back wheels. Keep the back end from sliding too and give yous something to throw down if needed.
3) I carry a smaller snow shovel. If I need to dig out. If you need more weight, just shovel some snow in the back.
4) Drive slow and steady.
5) Keep your gas tank from getting too low. You don't want to get stuck somewhere without any heat, especially if traffic is backed up for hours.
6) Winter blend washer fluid/winter wiper blades.
7) A good snow brush/scraper.
8) Keep up with the maintenance

I have a 2010 F150 4WD now. Haven't had any problems starting during the winter, even during the polar vortex last year. I have lived in Ohio for a long time, the turn pike is salted very heavily. Some cities will plow side streets, but won't salt them.

SabreFX4 11-18-2014 08:32 AM

Fill your truck up when you get to 1/2 tank.....you just never know when you might be stuck somewhere and having 1/2 to a full tank might just keep you from freezing.

sammy77 11-18-2014 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by AlaskanEx (Post 14829770)
I do use about 300-400 lbs to help keep the rear planted even with dedicated snow tires. Don't know that it would be needed down there though as i believe they salt heavily.

Too heavily. As they do here in IL. Btw, I just ordered a set of wheels & the Blizzak DM-V1's. Thanks Russ :-X22

xr7gt390 11-18-2014 01:58 PM

Keeping gas in the tank is a good one! I've been caught off guard and almost ran out of gas. That time I could see the gas station from the Day Ryan but traffic was at a standstill. It took an hour to get off the free way, then another hour waiting in line for gas. I was really cold out & I had to keep shutting the truck off to save gas. Lesson learned never leave home with less than a 1/4 tank and if snow is coming fill it up.
We get a lot of salt here. We joke that we get 2 inches of salt for every inch of snow. Too bad Tire Rack doesn't add salt traction to their list of tests.

sammy77 11-18-2014 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by xr7gt390 (Post 14831070)
Keeping gas in the tank is a good one! I've been caught off guard and almost ran out of gas. That time I could see the gas station from the Day Ryan but traffic was at a standstill. It took an hour to get off the free way, then another hour waiting in line for gas. I was really cold out & I had to keep shutting the truck off to save gas. Lesson learned never leave home with less than a 1/4 tank and if snow is coming fill it up.
We get a lot of salt here. We joke that we get 2 inches of salt for every inch of snow. Too bad Tire Rack doesn't add salt traction to their list of tests.

The Dan Ryan is always a stand still...lol

awq134 11-18-2014 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by gDMJoe (Post 14829056)
Get yourself a couple of 80Lb bags of play sand, put 'em in a tub, and secure the tub so it can't slide around.

You don't indicate where in NC you lived, however, OH like NC periodically gets black ice (especially on the overpasses).

Regarding engine/block heaters ... As long as you've routinely maintained your vehicle they're not necessary.

SLOW DOWN, keep it between the barriers and shiny side up. :-X04

And when driving back to NC in the winter, put as much distance as possible between you and the FL drivers (especially in the mountains).

*20 years experience driving back-and-forth between NC and MI.

------------------------------
http://www.gdmjoe.com/images/goth150-0.jpg
-click- the pic'
Goth 150
< This space intentionally -blank- >

Sorry about that, i was near Fayetteville, right smack db in the center of the state. I was stationed at Pope AFB (now Ft. Bragg) for 9 years. And i couldn't agree more with you and everyone else about the slowing down... that may perhaps be the most import detail that everyone seems to miss.

Originally Posted by conger (Post 14829066)
Actually. That doesn't sound too bad right about now. Cold sucks when you're getting older. We have -35 to - 40 to look forward to in 7 or 8 weeks

Wow, you can keep those temps up there!

Originally Posted by CavsQB15 (Post 14829512)
I could literally quote every single reply in this thread. I've lived in Ohio my entire life. First about 20 minutes north of Columbus and now in the Canton area where the snow is a bit more intense. I've driven in it with FWD cars, 2WD trucks, SUVs and now the F150. The biggest tip is SLOW DOWN. You won't be going anywhere fast when someone is pulling you out of a ditch so just plan ahead and give yourself extra time.

Other good tips:

- Check your fluids and check them regularly.
- Stay up to date on scheduled maintenance and don't let it run over schedule.
- Keep another jug of windshield washer fluid in the truck. You'll use it up more than you think and you're SOL when it's out and you're following vehicles kicking salt water onto your windshield.
- Keep tires inflated properly.
- Buy a good snow scrapper. You'll be happy you did when we get ice, then snow, then more ice on top.
- Grab somewhere between 200-300 pounds of sand, or if you're like me, topsoil (so I can use it in the spring) and set it over the axels. That will help with reaction and that weight won't kill MPGs.

Regarding rust protection, washing the truck weekly/bi-weekly is a great idea. Salt is the enemy and you're about to battle for the next 4-5 months. Make sure to wash out the underbody and wheel wells good. Another option is to get the underbody oil sprayed. They'll coat everything in bar chain oil which repels moisture and does a great job keeping away rust. I've done it on vehicles and they always look great even after a few winters. You can also have the interior door panels and such sprayed to stop corrosion from the inside out. That's your call on if that makes sense. I've done and not done both. Not sure if it did anything more than give piece of mind.

Snow is no big deal if you're just patient. Other drivers are sometimes questionable in bad weather, so another good tip is to just keep your eyes peeled and be aware of others.

Happy sledding and welcome to the Buckeye State!

thanks... i don't know if it's because i'm just getting back to the snow after not dealing with it for 9 years and i'm being extra careful, but i sure have seen a lot of vehicles in the ditches the last days...and they all have ohio plates. I'm currently in Mansfield, which i believe is pretty much between where you live now and where you used to live.

Originally Posted by tseekins (Post 14829961)
Don't forget about the cold weather prep for your house as well.

Removing the garden hoses and cover your spigots with a foam cover can and will save countless headaches later on and seems to be one of the last things that people in the south look after.

Luckily for me i'm in a rental currently, so i shouldn't have to worry about that this year.... I had a few coworkers in NC come in crying about burst water lines due to the cold and not having their outdoor spigots insulated.

Depending on how my truck starts tomorrow I might be in the market for a new battery. She was definitely a little slow starting this morning, and if she's as bad or worse tomorrow i can't imaging it getting any better as winter progresses.

Buck 1 11-20-2014 06:02 PM

And remember, from a famous Pennsylvania quote, " 4WD will get you in the woods twice as far as 2WD if you're speeding..."

CavsQB15 11-20-2014 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Buck 1 (Post 14837960)
And remember, from a famous Pennsylvania quote, " 4WD will get you in the woods twice as far as 2WD if you're speeding..."

Exactly. 4x4 will help you go...but it sure as hell doesn't help you stop.

tvsjr 11-21-2014 08:54 AM

I've worked many wrecks in the Texas ice where the driver said "but I've got 4 wheel drive!" I love reminding them that every car has 4 wheel stop... the look of dawning realization is fantastic.