Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   Help...Flywheel/Crank Locked-up (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1344642-help-flywheel-crank-locked-up.html)

Sean_Memphis 11-04-2014 11:17 PM

Help...Flywheel/Crank Locked-up

I started an earlier thread about changing my clutch. Well, after removing/re-installing my flywheel...to change my pilot bearing and RMS...the flywheel and crank are locked-up...I can't turn the crank from the front crank pulley...I'm thinking the flywheel bolts are too long, but their the same ones I took out...do any or all of the bolts take a washer or??

KsCop 11-04-2014 11:43 PM

Silly question..

Is the clutch installed? If so - tranny in neutral?

I assume the starter is still out?

From what I recall, the bolts are all the same size on the flywheel. They'd have to be pretty long to cause a problem I'd think

Sean_Memphis 11-04-2014 11:51 PM

Yes, the clutch and starter are still out...I removed the flywheel to change the pilot bearing and rear main seal (RMS)...I needed to turn the crank for clearance when torquing the flywheel bolts down and it wouldn't turn...it turned before I re-installed the flywheel?? Are there supposed to be washers on the flywheel bolts??

Franklin2 11-05-2014 06:34 AM

Loosen the flywheel back up and see what happens.

Sean_Memphis 11-05-2014 08:34 AM

Yes, the bolts are all the same length. However, I'm 99% sure once I loosen the bolts, it will free up the crank. But, why...what went wrong :?

KsCop 11-05-2014 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Sean_Reno (Post 14795947)
Yes, the bolts are all the same length. However, I'm 99% sure once I loosen the bolts, it will free up the crank. But, why...what went wrong :?

I know that the bolts on my flywheel (on the 4.9 new build) do not have washers. Come to think of it, I haven't tried turning the crank since I installed the flywheel.. Think I'll try that this afternoon...

Sean_Memphis 11-05-2014 09:48 AM

The crank didn't get locked-up, until I tightened down my flywheel. This job is really kicking my ass :/

KsCop 11-05-2014 03:49 PM

If you loosen the flywheel, can you turn the crank?

In looking at mine, the bolts would need to be WAY long to lock things up. Did you do anything else? Install the rear main seal?

I'd loosen it up and be 100% sure that is the problem before I started chasing things.

I know you said you are 99% certain loosening it up will allow it to turn. I'm betting it either won't, or in the process of loosening it up you'll figure out the problem.

Sean_Memphis 11-05-2014 04:09 PM

I changed both the pilot bearing and rear main seal (RMS). It took me forever, just to get the flywheel lined-up and bolted down...I was able to spin the flywheel before I tightened the bolts down...I can't imagine the RMS is locking it up :?

KsCop 11-05-2014 04:13 PM

You could spin the flywheel, but was the crank turning or just the flywheel?
I think there is something else wrong.
I know it's a pain, but loosen / remove the flywheel and try the crank

Sean_Memphis 11-05-2014 04:17 PM

Yes, I could turn the crank/flywheel from the balancer. I know I will have to pull the fly back off...I'm just trying to troubleshoot a bit...before I do it.

ArdWrknTrk 11-05-2014 04:50 PM

I think the RMS is sticking out too far.
Did you pre-lube the seal?
They don't like starting dry.

Sean_Memphis 11-05-2014 04:57 PM

Yep, I pre-lubed. The seal is flush with the edge of the rear surface of the block/cap. I just can't imagine that would stop the crank from turning.

ArdWrknTrk 11-05-2014 05:05 PM

On the 4.9 is there a spacer/dust plate that goes onto the back of the block before the flywheel is installed?

If you loosen the flywheel a bit, at what point is the crank able to rotate?
You can't hear anything rubbing or dragging when you turn the crank?

Sean_Memphis 11-05-2014 05:11 PM

Right now the crank is 100% locked-up. Yes, there is a plate that goes between the fly and block...starter bolts to it.

ArdWrknTrk 11-05-2014 05:21 PM

Is it hanging on the dowels, exactly where it needs to be when the bellhousing bolts up?
Or is it pinched?

Sean_Memphis 11-05-2014 05:28 PM

I haven't even gotten to that step yet...I just put the fly back on...snuged-up bolts...went to torque the bolts down and needed to turn the fly for clearance (from balancer) and it wouldn't turn.

ArdWrknTrk 11-05-2014 05:32 PM

Doesn't the plate go on BEFORE the flywheel?

I know it sounds stupid, but do you have the flywheel facing the right way?

Sean_Memphis 11-05-2014 05:37 PM

The block plate does go on firsta nd then the fly...smooth side of fly is facing towards the trans.

The few people I've talked to I know who are wrenches...keep telling the fly bolts are too long and preventing the crank from turning, but their the factory bolts that have been in the truck all along...I'm thinking a couple of the bolts require washers on the backside...?

ArdWrknTrk 11-05-2014 05:42 PM

Yes, you said before, you are using the same bolts that came off.

I've only ever seen a washer on a flexplate bolt, never a flywheel bolt.

How can you bolt up the flywheel without the plate in place, if it goes on first?

ArdWrknTrk 11-05-2014 05:47 PM

The plate has to be in position.
There should be locating dowels in the back of the block.
Hang the plate on the dowels and THEN bolt the flywheel up.

99% this is your problem.

Sean_Memphis 11-05-2014 05:47 PM

First, let me thank you for your time on this...The block plate is on first (up against the block), but you could bolt the fly to the crank without it.

ArdWrknTrk 11-05-2014 05:49 PM

Okay.
The plate on most engines would never fit over the flywheel.
IDKA 4.9's...

Sean_Memphis 11-05-2014 05:52 PM

I just don't see what would prevent the crank from turning completely...there is no dragging...metal hitting metal sound, etc...its just locked-up.

ArdWrknTrk 11-05-2014 05:55 PM

Is the plate free to move... bang around???
If it's in front of the dowels, it is pinched by the flywheel.

Like KS said, loosen/remove the flywheel and see what's up.

Sean_Memphis 11-05-2014 06:03 PM

There is two dowels coming from the block, that the block plate goes on...I will check and see if it slipped off, etc while putting the fly on.

Also, my book says to torque the fly bolts between 54-64lbs/correct?

ctubutis 11-05-2014 06:06 PM

Just take the dang thing off and figure out what happened, all this speculating is just a lot of self-imposed drama. ;)

Sean_Memphis 11-05-2014 06:14 PM

I'm not a mechanic, just a guy who may be is a bit more mechanically inclined then some. Also, s I'm working on my back in a cold parking lot w/little to no-clearance...I wanted to troubleshoot a bit, so I know what to look for LOL :)

ctubutis 11-05-2014 07:54 PM

I'll bet a "cold" parking lot to you is 70°F or colder. ;)
Just playin' with ya

Sean_Memphis 11-05-2014 08:34 PM

Cold enough...30's in the mornings :)

ArdWrknTrk 11-06-2014 01:57 AM

I did this on ice when I blew the input shaft out of my T-19 back in the winter of '10-'11.

A frozen puddle makes it real easy to slide under the truck.
Wrenches so cold they stick to your hands really suck.

Franklin2 11-06-2014 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by ctubutis (Post 14797236)
Just take the dang thing off and figure out what happened, all this speculating is just a lot of self-imposed drama. ;)

Amen to that.

KsCop 11-06-2014 05:44 PM

But we like drama...

:-X19

Sean_Memphis 11-06-2014 06:57 PM

No offense to anyone, but its not always easier to just start tearing stuff back apart...when your working w/limited resources, on your back, etc.

Here is what the problem was though...for those of you who are tuning into "As the Wrench Turns"...

Two of the six flywheel bolts were longer then the rest...I put washers on the two longer bolts w/washers and put them in holes on the fly, that are farthest apart. Problem solved I hope. I hope to wrap things up tomorrow or the weekend.

ArdWrknTrk 11-07-2014 01:02 AM

NONE of the flywheel bolts are longer.
Ford has used the same damn bolt for everything right up until metrics.

Get the right bolts or your flywheel is going to part company with the flange.
I hope it doesn't hurt you or someone else in the process.

Sean_Memphis 11-07-2014 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk (Post 14800617)
NONE of the flywheel bolts are longer.
Ford has used the same damn bolt for everything right up until metrics.

Get the right bolts or your flywheel is going to part company with the flange.
I hope it doesn't hurt you or someone else in the process.

All the bolts look exactly the same, except 2 of the bolts are 3/16 of an inch longer then the other 4. These are the same bolts, that have been with the truck since I've owned it (1 year) and prob since ol' Henry made it. Plus, once I put a flat washer behind each of the two longer bolts, it freed-up my crank (they were hitting the back of the block).

I had the same prob. once, when I used some ARP Bolts on a new C4 in a drag Mustang (those I cut down). I don't have anything to cut grade 8 bolts at hand.

Franklin2 11-07-2014 09:20 AM

I know it probably won't matter much being near the center, but I still don't like the idea of the heavier bolts and washers being in there. If you are going to do it, at least put them on opposite sides to sort of balance each other out.

Sean_Memphis 11-07-2014 09:25 AM

Yes, I put them on the two farthest spaced out bolts...opposite sides of the fly. I may just get some new ARP Fly Bolts though. I don't trust the pressure plate bolts, as I've broken old ones in the past, so I'm getting those anyways.