Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   1990 460 gas problem (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1343473-1990-460-gas-problem.html)

GreenMachinee 10-28-2014 11:38 PM

1990 460 gas problem

So i drive the same distance to work everyday. 4 miles there and yes, 4 miles back. Lately i've been noticing that shes drinking more gas then usuall and as you all know the 460 has a large appetite as it is. So my question is why the sudden change because it is definetly noticable but she runs great as always. Also im moving at the end of the week so my commute will be 12 miles to work. If i tak ethe frewway its 18 miles. So should i take the sidestreets with a thousand red lights or the freeway that is farther.
This is all random i know but input would be appreciated. Maybe some tips on saving gas. Might just take the bus!!

timbersteel 10-28-2014 11:48 PM

Unsure of your location, but perhaps your local gas stations have already started blend changes. From summer blend to winter blend. Winter blend isn't as good.

GreenMachinee 10-29-2014 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by timbersteel (Post 14777305)
Unsure of your location, but perhaps your local gas stations have already started blend changes. From summer blend to winter blend. Winter blend isn't as good.

Right outside of Los Angeles

rla2005 10-29-2014 04:45 PM

When was the last time you did a tuneup with plugs, wires, cap, rotor and filters?

Do you have dual tanks? If yes have you checked the mileage from both tanks?

Any other service work been done lately?

GreenMachinee 10-29-2014 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by rla2005 (Post 14778899)
When was the last time you did a tuneup with plugs, wires, cap, rotor and filters?

Do you have dual tanks? If yes have you checked the mileage from both tanks?

Any other service work been done lately?

I bought the truck from my pops at the beggining of September.
Sense then i immediatly changed the oil and i flushed the radiator.
I do have dual tanks, But i only run one tank because the other one the gas gauge does not work on.

rla2005 10-29-2014 04:57 PM

Still does not answer the tune up question

You did answer the dual tank.....these trucks suffer from cross-flow due to the odd design of the fuel system. You may be experiencing this very phenomena....

You did answer the dual tank.....these trucks suffer from cross-flow due to the odd design of the fuel system. You may be experiencing this very phenomena....

Long story short each tank has a pump and check valve. The powered tank pushes fuel out toward the engine AND the other tank. Since the other pump is not running the pressurized fuel will push shut the check valve of the non-powered tank/pump assembly. That's the theory but in practice that check valve remains open therefore the non-powered tank starts to fill with fuel. VERY common issue.

You stated you do not use the other tank, this is a very common mistake and contributes to the problem.

GreenMachinee 10-29-2014 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by rla2005 (Post 14778920)
Still does not answer the tune up question

Long story short each tank has a pump and check valve. The powered tank pushes fuel out toward the engine AND the other tank. Since the other pump is not running the pressurized fuel will push shut the check valve of the non-powered tank/pump assembly. That's the theory but in practice that check valve remains open therefore the non-powered tank starts to fill with fuel. VERY common issue.

As for a tune im im sure it hasent been done in a long time. Like i said i've only had it for two months. This weekend i am going to change spark plugs wires and maybe a new distributer? I only use the tank closest to the rear bumper, so what your saying my fuel from the rear tank could be going into my tank closest to the cab? i would use the other tank if the guage worked but not sure how to fix it.

rla2005 10-29-2014 05:06 PM

No, you do not need a new distributor....cap and rotor are HIGHLY suggested.

Replacing the Fuel Delivery Module in the front tank is the best solution for the possible fuel transfer issue, aka crossflow.

For reference from subford:
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g9...yAssembly2.gif

GreenMachinee 10-29-2014 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by rla2005 (Post 14778930)
No, you do not need a new distributor....cap and rotor are HIGHLY suggested.

Replacing the Fuel Delivery Module in the front tank is the best solution for the possible fuel transfer issue, aka crossflow.

For reference from subford:
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g9...yAssembly2.gif

Okay ill do it this weekend. Will Fuel Delivery Module make the gauge work as well or is that something else? any other things i should replace why tho hoods open besides, plugs, wires, cap and rotor?

buffalobillsexhaust 10-29-2014 08:37 PM

well that doesnt sound right.. you oughtta be getting atleast 20mpg on the highway with the 460 engine. try checking your blinker fluid reservoir. from factory the 460 engine has a restricted and undersized blinker fluid reservoir that needs to be constantly filled up to function properly unless you get it bored out for high volume. could also be an exhaust bearing. i performed a full camshaft delete on my 460 and saw 30+ mpg.

GreenMachinee 10-29-2014 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by buffalobillsexhaust (Post 14779492)
well that doesnt sound right.. you oughtta be getting atleast 20mpg on the highway with the 460 engine. try checking your blinker fluid reservoir. from factory the 460 engine has a restricted and undersized blinker fluid reservoir that needs to be constantly filled up to function properly unless you get it bored out for high volume. could also be an exhaust bearing. i performed a full camshaft delete on my 460 and saw 30+ mpg.

Um? im not sure if that is correct my friend. 30 MPG is impossible for a 460.
I dont even think 20 is within arms reach.

And blinker fluid resevoir? This must be a joke. :-blah

buffalobillsexhaust 10-29-2014 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by GreenMachinee (Post 14779676)
Um? im not sure if that is correct my friend. 30 MPG is impossible for a 460.
I dont even think 20 is within arms reach.

And blinker fluid resevoir? This must be a joke. :-blah

Lol definitely sarcasm mang. lets just say thats my two cents on the gas mileage of a 460! hah but i will throw out there in seroiusness that the 460 trucks like these that i have bought and worked with (which is a good few) have always had their tune ups neglected and specifically the fuel filter neglected. i dropped a tank to do a fuel pump on a 95 a few months ago and the fuel pump screen was clogged to ****. couldnt believe it was still running. ive seen a pattern of dirty ass fuel with these rigs.

rla2005 10-30-2014 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by GreenMachinee (Post 14778937)
Okay ill do it this weekend. Will Fuel Delivery Module make the gauge work as well or is that something else? any other things i should replace why tho hoods open besides, plugs, wires, cap and rotor?

I have seen them come both ways, with the sender and without. I would also suggest to ohm out the circuit to make sure the non-working tank really does have a bad sender.

I suggest to change the air, fuel and PCV filters as well as the PCV.

This diagram should work for your truck (it's for a 1991):
http://oldfuelinjection.packrad.net/..._1991_49-2.gif