Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Aftermarket Products (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum66/)
-   -   making RAM air (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/133789-making-ram-air.html)

forddytube 07-14-2003 10:32 PM

making RAM air

i was wongering if relocating the plastic hose that leads into the air filter box to the side of the radiator in front of the grill to give me RAM air horse power. also want to know if changing the two hoses from the air filter to throtle boby with a much smother hose(no pleats). could this help me RAM it up.
thank you.:confused:

SmaulzEB 07-15-2003 08:42 PM

making RAM air

Not sure if there'd be any benefit or not, but I've actually wondered the same thing. Let me know what you find out. :)

mpmitche 07-16-2003 10:41 PM

making RAM air

i've been thinking of using the three holes in my bumber to do the same thing. i don't think it will actually give much of a ram effect though. most people i've talked to don't think it will at least. my idea is that it will give me a good cold air flow if nothing else. also i read an article on project MPG they didn't do this but did insulate the tubes between the air filter and the throttle body along with the air box. they claimed this helped and i think i'm going to give it a shot. let me know how yours goes.

SmaulzEB 07-17-2003 09:02 AM

making RAM air

I've wrapped the tubes from the airbox into the TB, and it helped a bit, but I haven't done the airbox itself yet. (That friggin tape is expensive!) I'm seriously considering rerouting the intake like you mentioned. It certainly can't hurt, right?

forddytube 07-17-2003 09:58 AM

making RAM air

yes someone out there. how are you insulating the pipes and what type of tape are you using?.i have 4 square holes right besides the radiator in front of the grill so i was gonna try it there.i am alittle scared to go on the bumper cause of rain and here in new mexico we have more dust than fresh air.
keep us posted!

mpmitche 07-17-2003 11:51 AM

making RAM air

as far as rain goes i have seen some of the store bought systems that have a little dropper box part way up the tube that the water is supposed to fall into. as the dust goes i guess we'll just have to use a good filter

forddytube 07-19-2003 06:39 PM

making RAM air

ok i moved the stock snorkel(pipe to filter box).i removed the snorkel lip from top mount on radiato then i separated the pipe at joint ,then i removed the grill to acces the factory rectangular holes besides the radiator.inserted the snorkel into hole with snorkel lip towards radiator ,then i connected the pipe joint like stock only inlet is now besides radiator directly infront of the grill.this will require some creative muscle to get the joint to click in.
now the fun part ,it is'nt ram air but cold air forced UP and it really makes a difference from the stock location i noticed better throtle response, and a pony her and a pony there and may two other ponies over there.overall i am gladd i di this for free and in5min.
well the low budjet steps to cold air systems by forddytube.

mpmitche 07-22-2003 12:42 PM

making RAM air

do you have a performance filter or are you still using the stock paper filter? have you noticed the filter getting dirty or is it still alright?

proeliator 07-22-2003 02:04 PM

making RAM air

You will only see a actual performance gain from the ram effect in the triple digits. Just an fyi. This is why blowers are a hot ticket, they work at any speed.

forddytube 07-22-2003 02:35 PM

making RAM air

that's tru abuot the ram effect i noticed that when test driving.
and the dirt is somewhat the same only now i think it is easier for bugs to get in so i am still tring to get that gauze.overall i think that investing in a tru cold air intake is the way to go and the super charger , well maybe when i get my1953 f-100 hot rod.
thanks guys.

forddytube 07-23-2003 08:48 PM

making RAM air

have thought of blowers only i was gonna hookup my leaf blower to the snorkle.

Tectron1 08-06-2003 04:48 PM

making RAM air

I trimmed the lip off of the stock cool air intake duct and removed the grill so that the air was forced directly into the airbox. I noticed at 65mph the motor had a noticably less load on it.

I am going to make a horn to direct more air into the duct and modify the grill slightly to allow air through it.

RonF150 08-06-2003 07:53 PM

making RAM air

Tectron1 - did you put the grille back or are you driving without it?

And Forddytube and Tectron1 - how did you guys secure the snorkel in its new location?

Tectron1 08-06-2003 09:13 PM

making RAM air

I took the grill off to see if I would notice a differance but have since put it back on. I havent got the snorkle finished yet so I cant comment on that , But I suspect it may help a little. I plan on making the snorkle to slip snugly into the exsisting duct, mainly to spread it open a little since it seems to want to spring closed, Then trying to secure it with a couple screws.

I plan on cutting out part of the recessed part of the grill and replacing the plastic with some thin aluminum grating with large holes from a hobby shop and then painting it the color of the grill.

I realize by doing this i may negate some of the ram air effect but at the same time I cant really think of a way as of yet to make the proper hole not look like a hack job.

When I get the snorkle finished I'll post how it works, It may be a while since I dont have a lot of free time, but nevertheless.

restorit 08-06-2003 10:27 PM

making RAM air

This may or may not suit your application(s), and you may laugh, but...... some years back we made a scoop out of a shop vac nozzle (the wide type used to vacuum carpets). The size was perfect, and it was already set up to accommodate a hose. Also, you may check into the hoses, fittings at the local home supply discounters in the section where supplies for workshop sanders / dust collection systems are sold. May save you some unnecessary fabrication......