Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum117/)
-   -   Running Additive To Grease IP? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1337855-running-additive-to-grease-ip.html)

cubinzkid 09-25-2014 02:29 PM

Running Additive To Grease IP?

Hey guys, question. I just barely got my 1985 F250 on the road again, after sitting in a field for two years. All new fluids and filters, and am still working out the kinks. But, I had a question as to if I need to be running an additive or oil in my tank to grease the injection pump? The mechanic who is mentoring me, worked as a Ford tech, and had an old 6.9, and the first thing he told me was to make sure I was running something to grease the pump because they've taken the sulfur out of diesel. Any enlightenment, and suggestions on what to run would be great. I've heard the normal two stroke and ATF ideas, and didn't know if I should go that route. Thanks guys!!

sjwelds 09-25-2014 02:42 PM

I run Stanadyne Performance Formula in every tank. I figure hey, what could be better than if the pump and the additive are the same brand? Lots of guys run ATF, 2-stroke oil, Power Service, you name it.

fordtruckman838 09-25-2014 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by cubinzkid (Post 14692969)
Hey guys, question. I just barely got my 1985 F250 on the road again, after sitting in a field for two years. All new fluids and filters, and am still working out the kinks. But, I had a question as to if I need to be running an additive or oil in my tank to grease the injection pump? The mechanic who is mentoring me, worked as a Ford tech, and had an old 6.9, and the first thing he told me was to make sure I was running something to grease the pump because they've taken the sulfur out of diesel. Any enlightenment, and suggestions on what to run would be great. I've heard the normal two stroke and ATF ideas, and didn't know if I should go that route. Thanks guys!!

Your mechanic is right. Removing the sulfur really reduced the lifespan of these pumps, by running an additive it will increase the life of the pump by quite a bit. Probably the best thing to run is the stanadyne as sherwin said; however, on a budget, anything is better than nothing and a lot of guys put in a quart of atf for each tank.

ZombiePopper 09-25-2014 08:51 PM

I just learned something else here, dang this site is great.
So just to clarify here;
I should dump a qt of ATF into each full fuel tank?
(I add water dryer occasionally and some treatment with cetane already)
Thanks

fordtruckman838 09-25-2014 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by ZombiePopper (Post 14693953)
I just learned something else here, dang this site is great.
So just to clarify here;
I should dump a qt of ATF into each full fuel tank?
(I add water dryer occasionally and some treatment with cetane already)
Thanks

Yep, It should help to extend the life of the IP. The stanadynes is supposed to be better, but it is more expensive.

ZombiePopper 09-25-2014 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by fordtruckman838 (Post 14694054)
Yep, It should help to extend the life of the IP. The stanadynes is supposed to be better, but it is more expensive.

Gotcha thanks,
Adding it to my maintence list now.
I'll keep my eyes peeled for the stanadynes additive locally.
Just filled my frt tank so I'll add some ATF in the a.m.
Dumb question, Does it matter which ATF?
OP sorry for jacking your thread.

Macs1964F100 09-25-2014 10:49 PM

Off road i.e. no road tax diesel is dyed red. Transmission fluid is red. Just a thought. Adding transmission fluid in the tank could make it appear you are running off road diesel.

ZombiePopper 09-25-2014 11:33 PM

Very true, that's a good point,
I hadn't even considered that...
Come to think of it though, when was the last time you were pulled over for a tank check?
I only ask because i haven't heard/seen anyone in quite awhile that had been, so I'm curious if its still a common practice in anyones states/counties?
Don't get me wrong, I know it can happen and knowing my luck, it would lol

fordtruckman838 09-25-2014 11:38 PM

1 qt in 18 gallons of fuel really isn't going to color it all that much. I know that many of the farmers and loggers in the area tend to have red fuel in the tank..

ZombiePopper 09-25-2014 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by fordtruckman838 (Post 14694382)
1 qt in 18 gallons of fuel really isn't going to color it all that much. I know that many of the farmers and loggers in the area tend to have red fuel in the tank..

Yeah...Ive known of a few local vehicles that have had the red stuff in a tank on the road...

85F350IDI 09-26-2014 01:33 AM

What exactly is the difference between diesel from a gas station and "off road diesel" why would cops pull over for a check?

tjc transport 09-26-2014 03:56 AM

red in the fuel means that road use tax has not been paid, and it is a very big fine.
telling the dot boys you have atf in there will not make a difference, if they see red it is going to cost you at least $5 grand

i have been stopped and my tanks dipped once in the 28 years i have had diesel pickups.
i do not run atf or red fuel.
but that was one time too many for me.

i also do not run any additives to the fuel at all. i get around 150,000 miles out of injectors and injector pumps.

hairyboxnoogle 09-26-2014 04:07 AM

The first fine isnt so bad. However if you get caught a second time its major, like a thousand per gallon. 3rd or more and you can have your liscense permanently revoked. Modern fuels are blended with addative packages that replace the lube lost from refining the sulfer out. Its not as good as the old stuff, but it shouldnt be a problem. A dose of AFT once in a while just helps keep the IP and injectors clean, it doesnt add any lubricity. 2% bio is the best and cheapest way to get good lubrication, next is the stanadyne formula, a distant 3rd is Howe's fuel treatment. The others, while cleaning, adding cetane, or even anti-gel, dont add any real amount of lubrication. In short, i wouldnt get too worked up about running an addative. No more than what an IP and injectors cost, you would probably save money just replacing them every 100k vs running an addative. But like i said ATF once in a while does work excellent, Usually i just fill my new fuel filter with ATF when i replace it. Start it a minute till the atf is in the lines and let it sit for a day or so.

FordTruckfan89 09-26-2014 06:50 PM

They make additives for a reason, that ULSD isn't good enough for older diesels. Seen a 90' dodge have a seal go out on the IP around 6 months after they switched to ULSD, it was perfectly fine the 9 or so years we had it before then. Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the Stanadyne DB series pumps designed before the days of low sulfur diesel, when it was High sulfur content? I know they were used as injection pumps on tractors and machinery dating back to when they were still called Roosa Master.

ATF does more for cleaning, vs. 2-stroke oil actually showed better lubricity improvement compared to the Stanadyne Lubricity formula. Heres the link:Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

ZombiePopper 09-26-2014 07:08 PM

Great link with a ton of info, learned a lot today,
thank you for posting that link!