Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   Quick questions on the SCT and tunes/y pipe (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1337536-quick-questions-on-the-sct-and-tunes-y-pipe.html)

robert_l_ross 09-23-2014 04:05 PM

Quick questions on the SCT and tunes/y pipe

OK all, gonna pull the trigger and get an SCT for the V10. My rig is a 2000 4x4, and I'm on their site trying to figure out what version of the tuner I want and what Y Pipe setup I need.

I found a local shop that said they'd install the Y Pipe for $50...good deal?

Anyway, looking for thoughts on the X4 vs the LiveWire.

I have an Ultragauge now, so I'm hoping the tuner can provide the same level of data as I'm driving. I have a rear view camera so the idea of having it show my camera is slick...but I can't seem to find a decent user manual to tell me what kinds of readouts I can have displayed on the screen as I drive.

Looking for owners of either one and info on what could be displayed while driving, have you had any issues in switching tunes, etc.

OH, and if you know what Y Pipe I need that would be awesome...5 Star said to send them a photo of what I have now so they can figure out what one I need...apparently sometime in 2000 they tweaked the exhaust at/near the Y Pipe somehow?

robert_l_ross 09-23-2014 04:14 PM

...and how can 5 Star sell this in CA but the SCT site says it's not available for emissions controlled cars in CA?

robert_l_ross 09-23-2014 04:16 PM

...and damn, now that I think about it, I've had this truck for 2 years now going on 3 and I haven't had my every-other-year smog request with my registration...

Hoping this doesn't open a can of worms! :)

Apocalypse 09-23-2014 04:53 PM

This shouldn't effect (affect? Effect I'm sure) your smog at all. As far as the tuners I just went with the SCT myself but it seems like you're wanting other things as well so maybe the SCT isn't for you then.

robert_l_ross 09-23-2014 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Apocalypse (Post 14688254)
...it seems like you're wanting other things as well so maybe the SCT isn't for you then.

I wouldn't say that - from what I've read on both SCT models they rock and will do what I want them to do. What I'm debating is more like this:
If the LiveWire only does a few concurrent gauges (less than say my Ultragauge), I probably wouldn't spend the extra almost-$200 to just get the rear view camera bit - I'd go with the XT. -- If it does, then maybe it would be worth the investment to upgrade to the LiveWire.

Both would work for my minimum requirement - tune the engine to get as much power as I can when towing without massive motor investment and still be able to dial it back when I'm not towing (maybe get a little bit more mileage). I'm just trying to sort out do I want to gold plate my project or just get it done, and that revolves in no small part around some member input on their thoughts on the LiveWire.

robert_l_ross 09-23-2014 05:47 PM

...follow up, I'm due for smog this upcoming registration - the DMV system was messed up. Luckily the SCT will let me dial back to stock when that wonderful day comes.

Apocalypse 09-23-2014 06:01 PM

Honestly I have no idea how the gauges work on the SCT, mine just sits in the glove box. Should I be doing more with it?

Toreador_Diesel 09-23-2014 06:58 PM

You'll like the X4, forget the Livewire

Bently_Coop 09-23-2014 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel (Post 14688485)
You'll like the X4, forget the Livewire

TD- Please explain more on this. Are the livewire and x4 similar enough or is it because OP has the Ultraguage installed. Therefore avoiding extra cost on something not needed.

robert_l_ross 09-24-2014 12:20 AM

Bently, as a clarification: you can't run an SCT and another reader at the same time.

So the question is do I:
1. Get the X4, save the cash and use it only when I want to change tunes and run my UltraGauge as I do now, or
2. Drop a little more and get the LiveWire and ditch the UltraGauge.

Having the rear view camera input is nice, but not enough to sell me on the extra what...$200?...that the LiveWire costs over the XT. I'm looking for LiveWire owners to tell me what other bells and whistles it has and then judge if it's worth the extra $.

Bently_Coop 09-24-2014 03:19 AM

Got it thanks for the clarification. That is the reason I have not purchased a scanguage2 or ultra guage. I would eventually like a Livewire and think it looks far better than the two previously mentioned along with the tuner and camera functions.

50 on the y pipe install is a good deal. Local shop cost more for me.

Here is a comparison link for the 00-04 y pipe http://www.5startuning.com/wp-conten...stall_pics.pdf

Ramhorn style- http://www.5startuning.com/wp-conten...stall_pics.pdf

WE3ZS 09-24-2014 06:39 AM

Robert, I would give Mike at 5Star a call to verify exactly what a Livewire will see on a V-10, I'm not sure if it will read trans temp or oil pressure, the two big ones our UltraGuages won't read. I went with the latest generation of SCT X3 that can hold 10 tunes, I got 5 tunes from Mike and it works great. I did look at the LW but since my giant RV GPS (7") has a camera port and I already have the UG so I saved my pennies and got the X3. I don't know anything about the X4 and it's capabilities.

Toreador_Diesel 09-24-2014 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bently_Coop (Post 14689082)
TD- Please explain more on this. Are the livewire and x4 similar enough or is it because OP has the Ultraguage installed. Therefore avoiding extra cost on something not needed.

The livewire is more like the Edge CTS, it's great tool to monitor EGTs, Boost, Trans temp, etc. I almost got one, but then kept reading about issues with tunes and even software updates so I steered clear.

My buddy got himself an SCT X4 to replace the X3 that was taken when his truck was stolen and I have to say I like it. You can monitor the essential PIDs like EOT, ECT, FICM Main voltage, etc. I'm not sure, but I think it also comes with a pod (or has an optional pod) to mount it in. It also monitors EGTs.

robert_l_ross 09-25-2014 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by WE3ZS (Post 14689426)
I'm not sure if it will read trans temp or oil pressure

I'm good with the trans temp - I figured if the UltraGauge couldn't pick it up, nothing would (might not be available as a data point to send via the trucks computer)...so I put a temp sensor in the test port on the trans.

Oil Pressure is a question of mine. I put a sandwich plate with 4 ports in at the oil filter. Do you guys think the pressure reading at that location would be representative of the oil system as a whole, or does having it at the filter skew the pressure reading I'd get?

WE3ZS 09-26-2014 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by robert_l_ross (Post 14693010)
I'm good with the trans temp - I figured if the UltraGauge couldn't pick it up, nothing would (might not be available as a data point to send via the trucks computer)...so I put a temp sensor in the test port on the trans.

Oil Pressure is a question of mine. I put a sandwich plate with 4 ports in at the oil filter. Do you guys think the pressure reading at that location would be representative of the oil system as a whole, or does having it at the filter skew the pressure reading I'd get?

The computer does send the trans temp but the UG doesn't read it as it isn't in the standard OBD-II protocol, a Scan Guage can read it. The sandwich plate location should be good for oil pressure, I plan to go the same route on mine eventually. Is your meter tapped into the oil flow per or post filter?