Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Seat foam options (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1337473-seat-foam-options.html)

ADK49 09-23-2014 09:14 AM

Seat foam options

I have been searching the forum for seat options for my 49' and have decided I would like to keep the stock seat. My bench seat frame is in really good shape but the foam needs to be replaced. I have not been able to find any sources for quality foam locally. (unless I want to pay to have it reupholstered, and I would rather do it myself)

Do any of you guys have an online source for quality foam?(or local place that would ship) The places I have found online don't have the best descriptions and I don't really want a couple hundred dollars worth of junk foam.

PHXHawk 09-23-2014 11:28 AM

Where are you located?

If we knew where you are, someone could probably come up with a supplier.

ADK49 09-23-2014 12:53 PM

Sorry I thought I had added my location before. I am in Warrensburg, NY. I did speak with a woman who does Marine work who may be able to get some larger sheets of foam. She is checking on how much the minimum order would be though.

1950F2 09-23-2014 04:21 PM

I got foam for my bench seat from Joann Fabric, you can get different thickness and the blank is big enough to do in one pc. Also you can get batting there to cover springs.

ADK49 09-23-2014 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by 1950F2 (Post 14688191)
I got foam for my bench seat from Joann Fabric, you can get different thickness and the blank is big enough to do in one pc. Also you can get batting there to cover springs.

Has the foam held up well? and is it firm enough? I was looking at joann fabric but when I was there all i could find was very soft and I was worried about having a firm enough base.

gerrymoe 09-23-2014 05:13 PM

Carl Ferullo
4490 State Route 9
Warrensburg NY 12885
518-623-3811

Warrensburg Car Care LLC
3985 Main St
Warrensburg NY 12885
518-623-2135

AXracer 09-23-2014 06:08 PM

Mid Fifty Home - Mid Fifty F-100 Parts sells seat upholstery foam in several thicknesses. Foam comes in several types and many densities. Most fabric store foam is meant for pillows etc, not for vehicle upholstery. it will likely bunch up, stretch, creep, wrinkle. Make sure you get a type and density for vehicle upholstery, and research the proper way to install it. Typically the springs are covered with a layer of cotton duck, burlap or denim, then the foam with the corners trimmed/sanded to shape (electric carving knife is the tool of choice for trimming foam, followed by smoothing/shaping with a coarse sanding disk used with a light touch). followed by a layer of polyester fiber (quilt lining from the fabric store) extended past the edges of the foam, then a covering of heavyweight muslin,burlap or duck (both layers of fabric should be sewn like a well fitted seat cover to include the sides. so it covers the entire seat and then be whip stitched with twine or hog ringed in place with a little tension to hold the shape and finally the upholstery fabric cover goes over the whole thing. If you have access to a heavy duty sewing machine the surface fabric would be sewn together with all the layers and possibly some additional padding to form the pattern. For seating upholstery you want to use a fabric with a no stretch backing. Grab the fabric with both hands and vigorously try to stretch it in all directions. If it gives or distorts any, pick something else. Most upholstery fabrics can be purchased with or without a stretch resistant backing. That allows the backed fabric to be used on the seating surfaces and the unbacked to be used to cover compound curves like dashboards, consoles, sculptured door panels, headliners etc. where you want the fabric to stretch for shaping.