Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Keeping front leaf springs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1334640-keeping-front-leaf-springs.html)

bokker 09-06-2014 07:28 AM

Keeping front leaf springs

Hi, on my 1950 F1 I have posie front springs and have now cut down the bump stops to gain the correct movement so my question is - how do I stop the front end being choppy over uneven roads. I have nitrogen filled shocks but it still wants to bottom out and top out over the bumps.
Has any one fitted harley air shocks in place of the dampers ? If so any good ?
On a good road it's great but on a bad road it's real bad. All the minor roads in the uk are bad due to frost damage and that where I do most of my driving.
The F1 has disc brakes and power steering so I am not going to change the front suspension to ifs so if any one has a solution to my problem it will be much appreciated . Thanks bokker.

petemcl 09-07-2014 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by bokker (Post 14644028)
Hi, on my 1950 F1 I have posie front springs and have now cut down the bump stops to gain the correct movement so my question is - how do I stop the front end being choppy over uneven roads. I have nitrogen filled shocks but it still wants to bottom out and top out over the bumps.
Has any one fitted harley air shocks in place of the dampers ? If so any good ?
On a good road it's great but on a bad road it's real bad. All the minor roads in the uk are bad due to frost damage and that where I do most of my driving.
The F1 has disc brakes and power steering so I am not going to change the front suspension to ifs so if any one has a solution to my problem it will be much appreciated . Thanks bokker.

I would suggest contacting Posies directly (POSIES Rods and Customs). They don't just make springs they build really nice street rods. I have been to their shop. :-X21

I don't know what gas shocks you are using but they recommended Bilsteins for my truck.

AXracer 09-07-2014 12:13 PM

Buy some high quality shocks! Since you are in the UK, Konis would be a good choice, Bilsteins are also good.

raytasch 09-07-2014 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by bokker (Post 14644028)
. I have nitrogen filled shocks but it still wants to bottom out and top out over the bumps.
I am not going to change the front suspension to ifs so if any one has a solution to my problem it will be much appreciated . Thanks bokker.

IMO, you're going to need a higher spring rate or more suspension travel to eliminate the 'bottom out'. How much suspension travel do you actually have?

bokker 09-08-2014 02:31 PM

Hi, thanks for the replies . Looks likes different shockers are on the cards. I have only 2 inches of movement before bottoming out and that's cutting the bump stops to a minimum . Posie recommended cutting the bump stops and if need they would send me their own short units.
Thanks for all the advice I will try to fit the harley air shocks as this will give me stronger springs and good damping. Bokker.