Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Modular V10 (6.8l) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum49/)
-   -   Failed Emissions and misfire - Help! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1332055-failed-emissions-and-misfire-help.html)

bacalhau75 08-22-2014 08:27 PM

Failed Emissions and misfire - Help!

I've had this truck since 2008 and bought it with 121K miles. It's now 2014 and I have 140K miles on it. I installed a dump bed, and used the truck for a lot of home improvements.
Now it's time to sell it because I can't drive it anywhere without costing me a fortune, but of course... it failed inspection.

2 questions / Problems.

Failed for HC ppm. failed 7 times. 319, 540, 590, 349, 403, 349, 500 (out of 300).
I tried Guaranteed to pass twice, running super (which I read is worse later on) and driving with OD off for awhile. I cannot pass.
Misfire cylinder 7 came up a few times, and I was told that could be it because of the unburned fuel.

So before the 7th time (since it hit 349), I changed the air filter, plus 10 new bosh platinum plugs, cleaned the map sensor and changed the oil. took it to inspection and failed at 500... now, I noticed it smelled like burnt oil... sure enough I left the oil cap off and had a little oil spill on the engine.
So I degreased the engine and power washed it. left it running, while washing... and drove home and everything seemed fine.

Next morning I started the truck, and now there's a heavy miss and it stinks.

So today I changed the injector from Cylinder 7 to 6 (it kept saying Misfire on 7). and the problem still persists at idle but now it's a misfire on cylinder 4. I took the plug out and replaced with an old one, same thing. I changed the coil pack, same thing. I checked for spark by putting a plug on the coilpack and touching a metal part, and it sparks... so it looks like cylinder 4 is fine.

Any ideas? I'm getting older and hate fixing things, but can't afford mechanics. around here they'll quote you to replace all the parts instead of figuring out what is wrong. Can't afford it.

Any help would be appreciated.

regarding the gas... I let it go way down on empty. I'm surprised I made it to the gas station. I ended up putting 10 gallons of Regular. I haven't changed the filter since I can see that I'll get squirted in the face with gas.

Hank85713 08-22-2014 10:27 PM

find a quality independent shop with a good selection of diagnostic equipment and have them run a system check. Dont know where you are located or how much they might charge. Should be $100 or less as they charge for the computer time. Much less than a dealer. Any rate sounds like it could possibly be injector issue. Put some cleaner in system and run to see if it helps. Seafoam is 1st choice followed by b12 from berrymans. 1 can will treat about 25 gals but use 1 can with less to get the system clean. Wont hurt anything. Let sit over night after startiung and getting into system, will be a solvent in the lines and on the injectors. Cant hurt, about $10 for the seafoam.

bacalhau75 08-22-2014 10:53 PM

I'm in Jersey where you pay an arm and 2 legs to get something simple done. like $350 for front brakes where pads are $40 and a half hour of fun.

The hourly rate around here is $100-$120, depending where you go.

I might have to resort to a shop. I'm going to try to replace the coil pack boots tomorrow. read on some forums that, that helped the people. It could have been when I yanked all of them out, the spring inside teared or weakened.

I saw some videos on the seafoam... thought about it. read other replies that it might damage O2 sensor and/other parts. I was going to use that as a last resort, after I rid of the misfire. But I'll probably try Cfoam and the other one you mentioned. Thanks.

JWA 08-23-2014 05:18 AM

Wow!

Okay so first step is change the fuel filter---if that's a problem letting it go leaves an unknown factor that may or may not contribute--but not directly cause---your issues.

Next is strongly consider using Motorcraft plugs of the right variation for your year and motor. While Bosch makes a good product time and time again here in the V10 and V8 modular motor forums any plug other than MotorCraft or Autolite have been discovered to have failed or simply acted less than optimum for these engines.

Next is to thoroughly inspect and probably change the COP boots---those are also a known source of many a misfire issue. The wiring harness connector to the COP is another potential problem as they're known to lose their locking tabs and not remain fully in contact. These are available from NAPA for about $5 and good insurance.

I say boots because that powering washing no doubt caused or contributed to all this.

Lastly clean the MAF sensor, check the PCV itself and all its plumbing back to the throttle body----you'd be amazed how often those items can also cause a world of headaches. The PCV plumbing might be covered with the factory insulation but the 90* elbow just before it enters the TB are known to rot away and create havoc.

Before you start with the SeaFoam ect make sure the engine has all it needs to run smoothly---that stuff is nothing more than a Band Aid and won't really solve any of our described issues. Its primarily intended to be a regular maintenance product rather than a miracle cure.

HTH

bacalhau75 08-24-2014 11:57 AM

I fixed the cylinder 4 misfire issue. like you mentioned I replaced the boot. the spring was rusted inside. I didn't even know those things came apart until I read on a forums this weekend.

I did buy 10 boots, and wanted to see which actually needed them. but $6 ea won't break the bank.

On the Misfire 7, I replaced the coil pack, swapped the injector with 6 and still comes up as a misfire on 7, so it's not the injector. it could be the plugs so I'll check that today.

half my clips are broken, I have zip ties holding them together so I know what you are talking about. the guy at the parts store mentioned that at times the wire gets broken by the harness... this would be a pain to check since it's all taped up. I don't see why it would break there but nothing surprises me anymore.

As far as plugs go, I never had issues with plugs. they normally work. the previous plugs in there were Bosh platinum's, only cylinder 5 had the factory motor craft one, because it was such a pain to get to. looks like the previous owner paid for a tune up and the shop only replaced 9 plugs :). The Misfire existed before I changed the plugs and it's back on, so it's not the plug, coil back or injector. it has something to do with the wires or something else.

I will update the thread with my success. Agreed with the seafoam. I'm afraid dumping extra through the throttle body isn't the best proactive as it could have an ill effect elsewhere. Since I want to sell the truck, I have to fix it right not to rip off the next owner.

Thanks for everyone's help. I keep learning new things everyday.

Modularation 08-25-2014 07:26 AM

I just did not want you to burn the drivers in your computer because of failing/shorted coils.

JWA 08-25-2014 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Modularation (Post 14610519)
"power washed it"

Never do this to an COP equipped engine. If you do not replace with all new Motorcraft ignition parts and replace the pigtails on the coils you risk having to replace the engine ECM because of the misfires (which usually do not report or reports the wrong cylinder).

Now it is time for others to say I am wrong. You were warned.

Jesse/ASE Master Tech

Not a single thing wrong with your advice---its much the same as already contributed. I can't speak to eventual or premature engine replacement but problems when power washing a Modular Motor are sorta well known here.

OP the wiring harness connectors tend to be broken by heavy handed gents, like myself the first time I did my own plugs. Where they're located and the conditions they operate make them brittle and very susceptible to breaking. The good news there is replacement pigtail connectors are available, I get mine from NAPA. Not cheap but good stuff.

bacalhau75 08-29-2014 10:07 PM

bad connection?

Finally passed inspection....

I installed 10 new boots... all the old ones were like new, except cylinder 4 as previously mentioned... that one had rust but for $60 bucks, why not, I just did them all. went for a drive and 7 misfire came up again... I was pretty furious at this point.
I swapped the plug from 7 and 6, misfire came up.
since the injector plug was on with a zip tie, I thought maybe it's a loose connection since it's forcing it upwards a bit. I bend the pins a bit outwards and 1 downward. the plug went in tighter.

I put a can of seaFoam with 8 gallons of gas and drove around for 3 days. for 3 days, no misfire and truck ran smooth.
I took it to DMV today and the line was huge. while idling, the misfire came up and I wanted to scream!!! but since I was already there, I took it and passed. this time the misfire came up as pending code. I'm assuming it's not a STORED code because it hasn't happened frequently?

I would still want to solve the misfire issue, but at this point, I wasted too much gas and parts, and I need to replace a radiator on a Subaru now. the truck is a secondary car and it can wait.

Thanks for everyone's comments and help. Now I know not to power wash this engine. Water is the nemesis for Ford it seems like. I originally bought the truck with a bad GEM Module. turns out water again damaged it by a factory window leak.