Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ford vs The Competition (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum17/)
-   -   2015 Chevy (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1331306-2015-chevy.html)

MisterCMK 09-30-2014 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Amelio (Post 14704303)

That's exactly what bothers me a little with these new vehicles.....so much tech that when its out of warranty it would damn near bankrupt some people to fix them. This is another reason I bought the 6.2.....its simple and if I did keep it until I paid it off I am confident I could repair/replace the engine on my own without having to mortgage my house.

I want a 6.7 but it is purely a "want" and not a "need" at all. Like you said....unless you flip the truck every few years to stay in warranty you never get away from that $700-800-900 dollar truck note:-hair

Or learn something new and work on a truck if it breaks

Amelio 10-02-2014 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by MisterCMK (Post 14705896)
Or learn something new and work on a truck if it breaks

Sure that is always a possibility but I already have my hands full with 2 other hot rods and a motorcycle to maintain when they break.

At the moment I do not have the time or the "want to" to learn how to work on an oil burner.:-X06

tjc transport 10-02-2014 01:48 PM

same as working on a gas burner, except you do not have to worry about distributors and spark plugs.

Amelio 10-02-2014 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by tjc transport (Post 14710520)
same as working on a gas burner, except you do not have to worry about distributors and spark plugs.

Yeah I understand it's the same principle it's still a piston driven combustion engine. Glow plugs instead of spark plugs 16:1 cr instead of 10:1 cr but it does have a more complex fuel injection system with an equally complex emission system.

Not to mention the 6.7 is like 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag!

I am sure I could work on it if I had to...... My point is that these new diesels are far more complex than a gas engine.

tjc transport 10-02-2014 03:49 PM

i will take a diesel over a gas any day.
i look under the hood of the new gassers and get lost.

Amelio 10-03-2014 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by tjc transport (Post 14710757)
i will take a diesel over a gas any day.
i look under the hood of the new gassers and get lost.

It pretty much comes down to what you are comfortable with....I can fix a gas engine with my eyes closed.....the older diesels are like that too....very simple and very easy to work on!

These new diesels have so much extra crap to mess with and make pass emissions its just complicated as hell. Not to mention you have to have the latest in diag equipment just to determine where to look....but that's gas or diesel.

I will most likely get into a 6.7 but it may be next year....all depends on what goes on with work.

tjc transport 10-03-2014 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Amelio (Post 14712798)
It pretty much comes down to what you are comfortable with....I can fix a gas engine with my eyes closed.....the older diesels are like that too....very simple and very easy to work on!

These new diesels have so much extra crap to mess with and make pass emissions its just complicated as hell. Not to mention you have to have the latest in diag equipment just to determine where to look....but that's gas or diesel.

I will most likely get into a 6.7 but it may be next year....all depends on what goes on with work.

once you do get in one, you will never want to get out of it.:-X22
they are amazing engines. we currently have 3. a 2012 F-550, a 2013 F-550, and a 2014 F-350.
the 550's move 32,000 lbs like they are not even loaded.
the 350 has had all the pollution stuff deleted, and does not smoke one bit. plus it gained close to 5 mpg.
it also passed the NJ emissions test, and we have some of the strictest testing there is.

kermmydog 10-06-2014 07:50 PM

When you buy a Chevy you can be sure of getting a recall or two. So it is nice they are so nice. It will give a person comfort while waiting for it to be fixed.

I will never buy another GM. I would rather be caught driving a Yugo than a GM product.

JWC 3 10-06-2014 08:08 PM

My Boss just bought a new service truck for the shop . 2500 GMC 4 wheel drive 4 door with a Great service bed ! It is a gasser . Now ... We will see how it works out ....

chaparro 10-17-2014 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by nojoke327 (Post 14609258)
I haven't seen any direct comparisons with the 15 models but I would argue that the duramax has held its own in every other test I've seen. I would like to see a 15 test to see how the upgraded superduty does.

The comparison is already there. And the superdutty is smashing both ram and chubby

nojoke327 10-19-2014 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by chaparro (Post 14749085)
The comparison is already there. And the superdutty is smashing both ram and chubby

I'll have to search for for info then. Every video I've seen of the last gen 6.7 vs 6.6 had the duramax trashing the PS in just about every test. I hope that's changed. I doubt I'll ever own another PS but it is nice to have bragging rights again