Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Mig welders, anybody have one of these? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1330528-mig-welders-anybody-have-one-of-these.html)

Drewski 2 08-14-2014 08:05 AM

Mig welders, anybody have one of these?

After nearly 28 years, my trusty Linde 225 mig welder has gone belly up. Considering that there is hardly a day goes by that I'm not welding on something, I feel like I've lost a body part.

I've starting looking at new mig welders and Hobart's IronMan 230 and Miller's Millermatic 212 seem to fit what I'm looking for. They are both in approximately the same price range with the Hobart on the cheaper side.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these welders?

clintonvillian 08-14-2014 08:17 AM

I just purchased a Hobart 210MVP and it runs well ( I bought it over the 230 due to the 120/230V option). I have experience with both the Miller and Hobarts. The Hobart is made by miller, several of my pieces have Miller stamped on the Hobart machine. The only difference in running the machines is the Miller has a dial in Current setting where as the Hobart has a fixed number of adjustments.

tinman52 08-14-2014 08:27 AM

I have a Miller 210, which is similar, but probably 6-8 years old now. I did buy it new...
Awesome welder, never a problem. Miller is a quality company, I am still using my 110v Miller mig that I bought in 1985!
I think Hobart is made by Lincoln or Miller. Never used one, so I can't help there.

Rimrock F1 08-14-2014 09:33 AM

I have a Miller 211 and love it. I'm not the greatest welder and this machine makes me look like I am. The dual voltage works for me as there have been occasions when I needed it portable with no 220v near by. Have had no problems with it.

AXracer 08-14-2014 12:42 PM

Hobart is made by Miller, branding is mostly for distribution channels: Hobart is their direct merchandised/mass marketed line, Miller is their welding supplier line. Except for small details they are clone machines.

These are large HD machines, mostly suited for professional welding shop, they would be way overkill in 90% of home shops. Do you do enough single pass welding of very thick material and/or are a pro welding most of the day every day to need this much machine? Do you have 50A 230V service? If so go for it, you won't be disappointed with either machine.
If I was in the market for a new home shop machine, I would buy the Eastwood 175. It is a high quality industrial grade machine that will handle most anything the hobbyist might need to weld (will weld 5/16 single pass and the same thicknesses the larger machines will with V grinding and multipass) and at 499.00 INCLUDING a nice accessory spool gun is a real bargain IMHO.

truckeemtnfords 08-14-2014 02:09 PM

I do not have either machine, I currently have two Lincolns. I have used both Miller and Hobart in the past, good machines. If I was to buy a new machine today (and I am thinking of adding to my shop) I would look at the Tweeco machines. They have several sizes and I would look at the 181, dual voltage multi-process machine. Comse with stick stinger and mig gun. You can purchase the the tig package for it and tig steel, all for a fair price.

Drewski 2 08-14-2014 04:09 PM

Just to clarify, I might be welding on a front end loader today and 20 ga sheet metal tomorrow. My old welder, a Linde 225, is a big welder for a home shop, but it has been one of the best investments I've made, paying for itself many times over. I haven't ever had a need for a dual voltage machine or portability. I look to brand names like Miller, Hobart and Lincoln because of easy access to consumables and service if needed.

I appreciate all the responses..:-X22..still hoping for some hands on experience with one of the two welders I indicated.

Last chance 53 08-14-2014 10:16 PM

I have a miller 212 and had a 210 in the past. The 212 works great and has done alot of welding. I built my trucks chassis with it and would not have wanted anything smaller. I also weld tractor parts with it. The 212 comes with a 250 amp gun which is very nice. The infinite voltage and wire speed come in handy too.

Drewski 2 08-15-2014 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Last chance 53 (Post 14584177)
I have a miller 212 and had a 210 in the past. The 212 works great and has done alot of welding. I built my trucks chassis with it and would not have wanted anything smaller. I also weld tractor parts with it. The 212 comes with a 250 amp gun which is very nice. The infinite voltage and wire speed come in handy too.

Thanks.....glad to hear from someone that has one. I may have a 212 before this day is over.

bobbytnm 08-15-2014 07:42 PM

A sad day, the old Lincoln 225's are good machines. I've run my share of wire through them.

I just have a little Millermatic 135 now-a-days. I love it. I hardly ever need to weld on anything over 3/16", when I do, I head over to my buddy's shop and borrow his bigger machines.

I think you'd be happy with the new Miller.

Bobby