Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Anyone broken the plastic fuel line at the filter? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1330507-anyone-broken-the-plastic-fuel-line-at-the-filter.html)

AAubinoe 08-14-2014 01:15 AM

Anyone broken the plastic fuel line at the filter?

Well I did. I cracked the tab on the plastic push lock fitting because I did not know you were just supposed to push it in. My problem is I can not find the replacement part anywhere. NAPA only showed the metal fitting of the engine side of the filter.

I went to the ford dealer today and they acted like I asked for some rare part. They parts guy said they never sell it, I simply cannot be the only guy to ever screw that plastic fitting up! All they can sell me is the entire fuel line from the tank to the filter for around $300, and there was one in stock in DETROIT. I mean even my help manual states that if even the internal O ring looks bad, replace it.

I feel like I am going insane as no one seems to be able to help on a part that I thought would be a no brainer to get ahold of. I am pretty sure the line is 5/16". I got ahold of some 5/16" fuel injection rated soft hose, pushed it on the filter and on the metal line on the frame, hose clamped it, and it leaked on the hose side. Seems to hold fine on the filter side.

Maybe one of my hose clamps was stripped, might try adjusting it again tomorrow, but would like to find the right part. This LOOKs right, but every source says it will not fit my 2004...

Dorman Products - 800-050

I am supposed to leave for school in 2 days so any help is much appreciated.

What! Just tried entering '2003 5.4L F250' and sure enough it fits. Did the fuel lines change in 2004??

AAubinoe 08-14-2014 02:34 AM

So this issue is bothering me so much I went ahead and overnighted this line:

I came across this thread about splicing nylon lines and I realized I need a special tool to press the nylon line on the steel line. This is probably the reason they only sell the entire line assembly from the tank to the filter. Though the tool is still 1/3 the cost of the line!

splicing nylon fuel line | Mechanical /Maintenance Forum | Bob Is The Oil Guy

So I went ahead and ordered on of these steel to nylon fittings aswell. Pretty sure this will work!

AAubinoe 08-16-2014 12:56 AM

8 Attachment(s)
Ok so I fixed the fuel filter today. Cost Me $30 with the overnight shipping. My big issue ended up being that the Dorman replacement line is listed incompatible with 2004's.

Attachment 291388

I removed the plastic line entirely, thinking I could just push a new one on. You can not do it without the tool. However, if you break your connector at the filter (or have a bad O ring) you can just cut the nylon line and splice in the new one with the double barb fitting included in the kit.

Pop these fitting off:

Attachment 291389

Use a small tube cutter to cut off the barbed end of the stainless line. You want as much smooth section as possible.

Attachment 291390

Line cut. The most time consuming part of this project was sanding the end of the tube down. Its 5/16, but still a bit to large to fit the compression olive over.
Attachment 291391

Install compression fitting on nylon tube first, as you have to press hard to seat it all the way. Do not tighten this side to tight as it could damage the line, just get in snugged down. You can always tighten it a bit more if it drips.

Attachment 291392

In my opinion the dorman push lock fitting is a better design then OEM. It has internal clips on both sides instead of just the bottom.

Attachment 291393

The metal side fitting leaked when I primed the pump. I kept tightening it and sure enough not even a drip. Drove the thing about 50 miles today with no issues.

Attachment 291394

Entire replacement line. A little long...
Attachment 291395

Just wanted to post that all up because 2 days ago I had no idea what I was going to do. I thought I would be forced to spend the $300 on the whole line and was panicking!

-Austin