Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Garage & Workshop (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum20/)
-   -   What's the secret to using an impact wrench (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1329481-whats-the-secret-to-using-an-impact-wrench.html)

cgrutt 08-07-2014 10:37 PM

What's the secret to using an impact wrench

I've got an old but lightly used Blue Point / Snapon impact wrench running off a decent size IR compressor (not sure but probably 80 gal. twin cylinder) and 1/2 hose. It doesn't have enough power to loosen tightened lug nuts (works fine if they are first broken loose with a breaker bar). Impact wrench is from the late 80's but I have always had a problem with using it for wheels. I always see mechanics using their impact wrenches with no problem. Am I doing something wrong? Or are the better impact wrenches used for wheels? Is it just too small for using on wheels (physically its about the same size as what I see being used in shops). How much PSI should be running to the wrench under normal use? Thanks in advance.

twigsV10 08-07-2014 11:44 PM

Most air wrenches have a dial to adjust the power output make sure it's on the highest setting, 90psi is generally recommended but run mine on the full 120psi that my compressor has.

cgrutt 08-08-2014 06:35 AM

Thanks I'll check it but believe it is set to highest power. I'm running at 100 psi. I'm wondering if gun is too small for lug nuts. It is 1/2" drive though which should be fine.

tjc transport 08-08-2014 06:57 AM

i run my compressor high shutoff at 135 lbs, and all my air tool at that pressure.

either the torque knob on the gun is set real low, or the gun is wore out.

cgrutt 08-08-2014 07:06 AM

Thanks. Probably need to increase pressure running to it. Its an old gun but hardly used maybe a dozen or so times since I bought it. Looks new doubt its worn out.

tjc transport 08-08-2014 07:21 AM

all my air guns are over 40 years old. the newer one are not made very good anymore.

wdfp 08-08-2014 08:49 AM

If you haven't run any oil thru it try that, some oil for air tools can help a lot sometimes..

cgrutt 08-08-2014 01:56 PM

Thanks guys. Got to change rear brakes on Tues. Will let you know how I make out.

JWA 08-09-2014 08:01 AM

I'm also using a Snap On 1/2" impact from the middle 80's---it was their most powerful at the time. I use it probably three times a year but oil it every time before connecting the air hose. So far its been flawless---best $260 spent. :)

It'll easily remove my E250 lug nuts as long as my wimpy older compressor can keep up---its a volume hog it would seem.

The Blue Point stuff isn't as well made or as long lasting as the formerly USA made Snap On tools----perhaps its just reached the end of its life?

cgrutt 08-09-2014 08:35 AM

Its Blue Point. I think it just might be too small for job. Still looks new.

85e150 08-09-2014 06:45 PM

What size lug are you working on?

My decades old Chicago Pneumatic isn't the man it once was, and it takes some doing at 90 psi to remove 100 lb/ft lugs.

cgrutt 08-09-2014 06:48 PM

I think it was 22mm. Is it just me or is JWA hot as hell, lol...

JWA 08-10-2014 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by cgrutt (Post 14570775)
I think it was 22mm. Is it just me or is JWA hot as hell, lol...

OMG I've overshot my original intentions with Christie's photo! }> :D }> :D

The "real" JWA is NOT nearly as attractive nor nearly as much a woman, all man in fact! :-X22

I have a few other babes I post from time-to-time just to keep things interesting.

twigsV10 08-10-2014 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by JWA (Post 14572076)
OMG I've overshot my original intentions with Christie's photo! }> :D }> :D

The "real" JWA is NOT nearly as attractive nor nearly as much a woman, all man in fact! :-X22

I have a few other babes I post from time-to-time just to keep things interesting.

LOL, I darn near posted that JWA was a guy but wanted to see where it went.:-missingt
Have to love the Internet.;)

JWA 08-11-2014 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by twigsV10 (Post 14573686)
LOL, I darn near posted that JWA was a guy but wanted to see where it went.:-missingt
Have to love the Internet.;)

If I were more mischievous I'd have let that play out-----but a sense of fair play and full disclosure seemed slightly more appropriate.

Next time though.................. :D :D :D

BTW that photo of Christie Brinkley is fairly recent, past few years at most. While its the glam'd up version even without all that she's still quite gorgeous even at 60! Oh yeah..................