Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum27/)
-   -   Rough acceleration, blinking check engine light, bad compass (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/132930-rough-acceleration-blinking-check-engine-light-bad-compass.html)

columbo 07-11-2003 05:55 PM

Rough acceleration, blinking check engine light, bad compass

I have an 1998 Expedition 5.4 L Eddie Bauer with 79,000 miles.
Two weeks ago the battery died unexplainably. We jumped the Truck and got back on the road. We had also recently bought gas from a station with new gas tanks. Anyways, we started having problems with the truck that are not consistent. It runs rough, idles okay, sometimes the exhaust smells horrible when it is idling. The check engine light flashes sometimes. It seems that we can even shut off the car and turn it back on to get the truck to work better. We did the diagnostic thing and no codes came up. I just don't know where to start. Did we fry the computer when we jumped the truck? Fuel filter and fuel injector cleaning?
PCV valve? Any other ideas? We have refilled the gas tank 2 times since the new gas station gas.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Judy

Rtpjunior 07-11-2003 06:52 PM

I don't think you fried the computer (or ECM) since it is fuse protected. It sounds like you have a injector or two stuck open, and it is pumping too much gas into the motor. If the engine light is flashing or has flashed, then you have 1 or more codes stuck in memory, get them read, and you can get a better handle on the problem. A pretty good way to tell if you have an injector stuck open is to check your oil. The bad injec. will dump so much fuel into a cylinder that it will leak down into the cranckase, and eventually into the oilpan. Pull the dipstick, or drain the pan, and look for thin oil, or the smell of raw gas. If your oil fits this description and if one of your codes alert to an over rich condition, its a safe bet it's an injector.

BigMattXXL 07-12-2003 07:41 PM

Originally posted by Rtpjunior
I don't think you fried the computer (or ECM) since it is fuse protected. It sounds like you have a injector or two stuck open, and it is pumping too much gas into the motor. If the engine light is flashing or has flashed, then you have 1 or more codes stuck in memory, get them read, and you can get a better handle on the problem. A pretty good way to tell if you have an injector stuck open is to check your oil. The bad injec. will dump so much fuel into a cylinder that it will leak down into the cranckase, and eventually into the oilpan. Pull the dipstick, or drain the pan, and look for thin oil, or the smell of raw gas. If your oil fits this description and if one of your codes alert to an over rich condition, its a safe bet it's an injector.
:-wow Took the words right out of my mouth!

:-X05 We (This Forum) are so damn good, Ford should offer us all jobs!

XXL

columbo 07-15-2003 11:59 AM

Well I think I got it fixed. Luckily when I went to the Ford Dealer the check engine light started to flash. It was....an ignition coil that was bad. Thanks for everyones input. I really appreciate the time and effort put in. I also had the fuel injectors cleaned out, new fuel filter, and an oil change just in case it really wasn't the coil. The Expedition is running Great!

Judy:-X03